Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Firmware Update 13.3.0.5

I'm pretty sure this is new and isn't even up on the site yet but you can check for updates via Settings/Device/Software Update

Mine just upgraded after I did a factory reset to 13.3.0.5 the old one was 13.3.0.2.

No release notes yet.

My UI is black again well very very dark grey! Before it was charcoal grey at even the lowest brightness.

As of 11/04 the new firmware is live!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201357190

This is a bug fix release so be sure to update!

Last edited by Blossom; 11-04-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
No update for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm pretty sure this is new and isn't even up on the site yet but you can check for updates via Settings/Device/Software Update

Mine just upgraded after I did a factory reset to 13.3.0.5 the old one was 13.3.0.2.

No release notes yet.

My UI is black again well very very dark grey! Before it was charcoal grey at even the lowest brightness.
I went to Settings / Device / System Updates and tapped Check Updates. I received a message: "No updates found." I am at firmware version 13.3.0.2 and my background is still charcoal grey as compared to the black frame.

Maybe only factory resets are getting your version. I am not going down that path.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I went to Settings / Device / System Updates and tapped Check Updates. I received a message: "No updates found." I am at firmware version 13.3.0.2 and my background is still charcoal grey as compared to the black frame.

Maybe only factory resets are getting your version. I am not going down that path.
They probably haven't pushed it out yet then. Keep an eye out when it up on the website it should be available via that option.

Maybe they found that bug in my logs and that's why I got it first I don't know.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

One of the bugs fixed in the new firmware is mobi books now show a TOC on the left side menu!!!

I had a inkling to try it and sure enough all the previous one that didn't show a TOC now do! PDocs still don't show a TOC though. I've been bookmarking the TOC and using that to navigate when reading a pdoc.

So they partially listen to my feedback. Would love for the PDocs to have a working TOC but I guess that's not going to happen.

Oh the margins now adjust right! You can now make them alot smaller!

One bug they have not fix is random books from your cloud showing up on the carousel upon restart. these books are like from years ago. They are not suppose to be there!

Music search is fixed for me. So far everything is working beautifully! This makes me very happy!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-31-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sort of off topic, but somewhat related....I've noticed a definite trend with Amazon devices to make the Personal Documents viewing LESS robust. They are limiting the things you can Whispersync, purposely limiting format options, purposely limiting features like X-Ray and page numbers, etc. IMO this is a not so subtle way of saying to customers that if you want the full feature set you have to read OUR books. You can read Personal Documents but we will take away a lot of features from them. This really pisses me off as I buy 98% of my books through Amazon, but then modify them so I can read them better. I modify them because Amazon is too GD stubborn to give us more font control. I cannot read their crappy thin fonts without eyestrain. So to fix the thin fonts I modify the Books and then they automatically get downgraded to Personal Documents, and thus I lose all the frigging features I effing paid for.
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So far everything is working beautifully! This makes me very happy!
That is great! Did the update change your blue edging at all?

I wonder if last year's 2012 will get an update.

So, Blossom, when you use Send to Kindle to upload to the cloud, is that considered a Pdoc by the Kindle? Once you download it to the Fire, I mean.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That is great! Did the update change your blue edging at all?

I wonder if last year's 2012 will get an update.

So, Blossom, when you use Send to Kindle to upload to the cloud, is that considered a Pdoc by the Kindle? Once you download it to the Fire, I mean.
No Blue border is the same. I doubt any firmware date can fix it. It's light bleed from a bad design.

Yes using Send to Kindle or Emailing or Uploading to Amazon Cloud drive all show up as Personal documents which has a icon for cover and no working TOC. The icon cover does not have text and all docs in Documents are in list view no cover view. When a pdoc is open on the carousel is shows a icon cover with filename cut off.

Sideloading mobi or AZW3 into Books has a TOC but no sync abilities. Sideloaded books have a generic blue cover with text on the carousel. Covers show in books tab only.

I will take pics later so you can see them unless I can figure out how to do a screenshot.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Helvetica font should be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You can read Personal Documents but we will take away a lot of features from them. This really pisses me off as I buy 98% of my books through Amazon, but then modify them so I can read them better. I modify them because Amazon is too GD stubborn to give us more font control. I cannot read their crappy thin fonts without eyestrain. So to fix the thin fonts I modify the Books and then they automatically get downgraded to Personal Documents, and thus I lose all the frigging features I effing paid for.
If Helvetica fonts are perfect for my very OLD eyes, they should do fine with your young eyes.

Try reading at least one book for a couple of days and see how Helvetica works for you.

All that font work may be totally unnecessary.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Oh! I figured out screenshots! I need to add that to our tips thread!

Okay The blue covers are how sideloaded books appear on the Carousel only. They have their covers in Books and there is a cover view like on previous Kindle Fires.

The White icon covers are personal documents and they show on both carousel and Documents tab.

The last screenshot shows the list view in Documents. There is no cover view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-31 14.17.01.png
Views:	243
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	114382   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-31 14.22.11.png
Views:	257
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	114383   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-31 14.17.11.png
Views:	254
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	114384  

Last edited by Blossom; 10-31-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The blue is not bad to look at....but surely they can make covers work on the next update!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The blue is not bad to look at....but surely they can make covers work on the next update!
I don't see that happening but at least they don't look like the pdocs covers!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
This is what my carousel looks like and the book is side loaded. I don't understand what's happening with yours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lh3xtks282...Screenshot.jpg

Last edited by dreams; 11-03-2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: replaced shortened URL with expanded link - moderator
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
This is what my carousel looks like and the book is side loaded. I don't understand what's happening with yours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lh3xtks282...Screenshot.jpg
That is odd by Sideloaded you mean it's not from Amazon correct?
How do you sideload your books?

Last edited by dreams; 11-03-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: replaced shortened URL in quote with expanded link - moderator
Old 10-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Yes I purchased the book from Kobo, it wasn't purchased from Amazon. I've never had that problem. What are the the sizes of the covers. I generally use 1066x1600 and they all show up perfectly. (That is if I can find that size.)
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Yes I purchased the book from Kobo, it wasn't purchased from Amazon. I've never had that problem. What are the the sizes of the covers. I generally use 1066x1600 and they all show up perfectly. (That is if I can find that size.)
So it's a cover size issue once again!

Remember on the orginal Kindle Fire too big of covers would not show so you had to use smaller covers and now on the HDX it's the opposite! OMG!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-31-2013 at 06:15 PM.