Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
What is the Baby Kindle ?

Visited another forum and the keep referring to the baby kindle. Baby kindle?
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
Visited another forum and the keep referring to the baby kindle. Baby kindle?
Let me guess, was it the Kindle Boards forum? Those folks are uber confusing in their unconventional naming schemes. The KB forum often refers to the K4 (new black non-touch model and last year' silver model) as the "Baby Kindle".

Last edited by jswinden; 10-28-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Let me guess, was it the Kindle Boards forum? Those folks are uber confusing in their unconventional naming schemes. The KB forum often refers to the K4 (new black non-touch model and last year' silver model) as the "Baby Kindle".
Yep.....baby kindle ...oh how cute........gag. I think they have K4b as a K5.
Their naming scheme is confusing.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
And here I thought it was a special Kindle for babies and toddlers.

shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I must admit that I refer to my K4b and my Sony 350 as the Baby Kindle and the Baby Sony, particularly when I'm talking to less-than-technical friends - it decreases their stress over that particular sort of technology. Don't ask me why they're stressed about it, but for some reason at least a couple of people are until they have a chance to play with one of my baby readers, which are less threatening.

I think, actually, that part of the stress comes from the fact that there are so many ereaders out there, and at least 3 walled gardens, so when you're buying a reader, you're not just buying the reader but buying into the ecosystem too - and unless you become friends with Alf, once you buy into an ecosystem you're stuck there, and mistakes could be costly, or at least that 's the perception.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I think Kindle Basic would be a better word than Baby Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think Kindle Basic would be a better word than Baby Kindle.
Perhaps every Kindle owners like to think of her device as her baby... hence the Baby Kindle.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I call my K4S...

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I call my K4S...

Spoiler:

This instead of Baby Kindle is a perfect example why Mobile Read is clearly the best e-reader forum on the planet.

(And also possibly the fact that everyone here is pretty helpful and very knowledgeable!)

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
Perhaps every Kindle owners like to think of her device as her baby... hence the Baby Kindle.
No what they meant was it's the mini Kindle compare to the other Kindles which is true in a sense but kind of silly to call it that. It's really a K4 or $69 Kindle. Some call it a Kindle 4 NT. I've seen some here call it the Basic Kindle. Baby Kindle is just....
Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It was nicknamed the "Baby" Kindle last year when it came out. It was the smallest and lightest Kindle so far.....and was brand new.

To me it's just as hard to remember this board's naming rules as the other board's. It's too bad Amazon didn't come up with an easy naming system for all the models.
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindnet View Post
It was nicknamed the "Baby" Kindle last year when it came out. It was the smallest and lightest Kindle so far.....and was brand new.

To me it's just as hard to remember this board's naming rules as the other board's. It's too bad Amazon didn't come up with an easy naming system for all the models.
Think firmware version and you will always know the right name. Kindle Keyboard has v3 firmware so it's called a K3, The $69 Kindle has version 4 firmware so it's a K4. the Kindle Touch has version 5 so it's a K5. The paperwhite is the only Kindle that doesn't fit because it's firmware is 5.2 Even the original Kindle Fire is v6 so it can also be called the K6. We now have Kindles firmware up to version 10!

Here's a page that will help you remember.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindnet View Post
It's too bad Amazon didn't come up with an easy naming system for all the models.
Amazon shoulders the blame for this. When the Kindle 3 (aka Kindle Keyboard) was first released, Amazon named it "Kindle". Then when they released new models the following year, the Kindle 4 (aka Kindle NT) was called "Kindle". The older "Kindle" then became "Kindle Keyboard".

Way to confuse the consumer, Amazon.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon shoulders the blame for this. When the Kindle 3 (aka Kindle Keyboard) was first released, Amazon named it "Kindle". Then when they released new models the following year, the Kindle 4 (aka Kindle NT) was called "Kindle". The older "Kindle" then became "Kindle Keyboard".

Way to confuse the consumer, Amazon.
Shhh... Amazon might hear you. Best not kick sand on the GIANT!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote