Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Sigil images not appearing in Adobe Digital Editions

I appreciate this may be in the wrong forum but if it is I know you'll let me know politely

In this, my first attempt to produce an e-book, I have been using Sigil to convert MSword docs to e-pub. Once converted satisfactorily I have successfully used Sigil to import images.

I have downloaded Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to my laptop in order to see what the pages might look like on a reader.

Most of the images do not appear when I view in ADE; - but not all, which I find confusing.

Is anyone able to suggest the reason for this?

Many thanks.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
ADE's very finicky about coding. There must be something slightly wrong in the ePub's code where the images don't show (or they're an image format not supported by ePub/ADE). Do you get any validation errors in Sigil?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
ADE's very finicky about coding. There must be something slightly wrong in the ePub's code where the images don't show (or they're an image format not supported by ePub/ADE). Do you get any validation errors in Sigil?
Finicky!

Down right cranky about the code syntax being perfect
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Thank you both for your replies. Being a complete beginner I hadn't realsied the significance of the big green tick in the Sigil tool-bar. I'm guessing that when I click that I'll be presented with further insights into the depths of my ignorance.

Who knew self-publishing could be such fun?

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Thank you both for your replies. Being a complete beginner I hadn't realsied the significance of the big green tick in the Sigil tool-bar. I'm guessing that when I click that I'll be presented with further insights into the depths of my ignorance.

Who knew self-publishing could be such fun?

Thanks again.
That Big Green Tick does not check a CSS (or even if your code calls on a non-existent selector).

To Validate your CSS, you can use http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator
or Free CSS Toolbox (Link not supplied as the installer adds many Ad links to your start menu. Appears to be benign and removable, just annoying. )
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
MrB
Very Slow Learner

Well, as I thought, something new to get my head round
  1. The <language> element is missing (this validation comment appears once)
  2. The <title> element is missing (this validation comment appears once)
  3. This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub. (these comments appear frequently)
  4. value '../Images/TRW50%.JPG' is invalid anyURI (this comment applies frequently)
I don't know what OEBPS stands for but I'm guessing 1 and 2 should be easy to fix if I can find out where to look (I'll see what other people have done).

Because I've not known what size image would look best on the page, I've resized the originals in different versions and named them as a percentage of the original. Would I be right in thinking that that's the cause of the problem in 4 and that I just need to rename them?

I don't understand 3.

BTW I don't expect anyone to sort out the detail for me (although, obviously I'm grateful for all help ) but if you point me in the right direction like theducks did ( ) I'm happy to try and find out for myself.

Thanks again for your time.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Because I've not known what size image would look best on the page, I've resized the originals in different versions and named them as a percentage of the original. Would I be right in thinking that that's the cause of the problem in 4 and that I just need to rename them?
Right, you can't use a naked "%" sign in URIs, because it has a special meaning. You don't need to rename the file, but you should write the filenames in the HTML code as '../Images/TRW50%25.JPG' instead (%25 means the "%" character, see percent-encoding).

Quote:
I don't understand 3.
It means you are referring to some file that is not listed in the OPF. Since you are using Sigil, it creates the OPF automatically, so you are referring to a file that has not been "added" to Sigil. It may be just a consequence of the issue with the "%" character. If it isn't, take note of which filename is given in the message and add it to Sigil.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Well, as I thought, something new to get my head round
  1. The <language> element is missing (this validation comment appears once)
  2. The <title> element is missing (this validation comment appears once)
  3. This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub. (these comments appear frequently)
  4. value '../Images/TRW50%.JPG' is invalid anyURI (this comment applies frequently)
I don't know what OEBPS stands for but I'm guessing 1 and 2 should be easy to fix if I can find out where to look (I'll see what other people have done).

I don't understand 3.

BTW I don't expect anyone to sort out the detail for me (although, obviously I'm grateful for all help ) but if you point me in the right direction like theducks did ( ) I'm happy to try and find out for myself.

Thanks again for your time.
1,2) Tap F8, fill in the Title,(IIRC the language fills automatic)

3) This one is a bear to find (and usually is in a inline TOC) Look for a file-less path "../Text/" or "../Text/#something"

Jelby hit #4
Old 09-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I would avoid any special characters in filenames. They always tend to give issues somewhere..
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
MrB
Very Slow Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

3) This one is a bear to find (and usually is in a inline TOC) Look for a file-less path "../Text/" or "../Text/#something"
Or, if you're stupid, your image file name may be in lower case but you might insert it into your HTML file with the first letter capitalised

Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Or, if you're stupid, your image file name may be in lower case but you might insert it into your HTML file with the first letter capitalised

Thanks again for your help.
I've done that one sooooo Many times ( used to code a DB scripting language where , for readability (only), Keywords were typed MixedCase )
BTW Flightcrew should have found that

Last edited by theducks; 09-11-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Additional
Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
I've done that one sooooo Many times ( used to code a DB scripting language where , for readability (only), Keywords were typed MixedCase )
BTW Flightcrew should have found that
And just for completeness, "Flightcrew" is the big green checkmark within Sigil.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Finicky!

Down right cranky about the code syntax being perfect
And that it should.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote