Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
walt526
Edge User

USB Port Replicator?

Just curious, would something like this work with the eDGe?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/c...Y843AA%2523ABA

I seem to recall one of the admins saying that a USB-to-VGA adapter might be available later this summer, so I'm assuming that means that the VGA won't work (at least not yet). I'm assuming that the USB slots aren't a problem (since USB hubs are no problem). But what about the audio jacks or ethernet port? Is there something special about the USB-to-ethernet adapter that enTourage sells or will any such device work?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
keng2000
Edge User

I am using Wireless Screen Adapter with PC/WIN from http://www.warpia.com/
Model SWP100A, They will shift OSX driver on late july. but twice delay now.

Model SWP200 will be launched soon.

EE may be partner with them to build Android driver, and that we may be happy too...

Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
Lenwe
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt526 View Post
Just curious, would something like this work with the eDGe?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/c...Y843AA%2523ABA
Hello,

Just want to notice that it could be not compatible with Linux OS since it needs a Windows Service.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
sladwig
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Some USB devices are pretty generic, like mice and keyboards, while others require specific drivers.

I've seen at least one user say the ethernet USB connector they got off Amazon or eBay didn't work, for example, but I'm not sure if it was simply defective or if it requires a different driver.

Drivers software has to be supplied by enTourage specifically for the eDGe, as far as I understand, and evidently the eDGe can can work with more devices than enTourage officially supports.

So, my rule of thumb is that if enTourage sells an accessory, it's guaranteed to be compatible, and if you get a different model elsewhere, then you're taking a chance that it may or may not work (the exception being keyboards, flash drives, and external USB hard drives).
What Boris says is true-- enTourage has to include a specific driver for USB devices. So it isn't possible to download a driver for a peripheral as you could on a Windows PC, for example. Some drivers are more generic than others, which is why most USB keyboards can work with the enTourage eDGe.