Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
TheWizard
TheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Kindle Paperwhite
[GUI Plugin] DjVuMaker - converts Postscript books to Djvu

Hi all, I have written a plugin for converting scanned PDFs from google books and the like to DJVU. You can use the Convert menu or have them converted automatically on import.

https://github.com/kfix/calibre_plug...aker/releases/

I personally use it to keep koreader on my Kindle fed with very big old books :-)

Only tested on OSX, but linux and windows are theoretically possible if someone can write a build & install script for the conversion apps.

YOU MUST GO TO github to read the install procedure and to report all issues and feature requests. The plugin requires extra software to be installed.

I am only on this thread to upload the occasional bug-fix/API update, because this CHAT FORUM is used as a Software Update Service by Calibre
Attached Files
File Type: zip djvumaker.zip (7.2 KB, 160280 views)

Last edited by TheWizard; 03-22-2015 at 04:08 AM. Reason: v1.0.2: switch to new Calibre 2.22 PDF API funcs
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Will this plugin work when Calibre 2.0 is released and switches from Qt4 to Qt5?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
TheWizard
TheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud ofTheWizard has much to be proud of

I'm using it now with the Qt5 calibre beta. the plugin doesn't use PyQt directly.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:34 AM   #4
Jan Steinman
Ecovillage founderer
Jan Steinman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I'm not getting this to work in Calibre 2.15.

It shows up on the "Convert books" menu, but when I choose it, nothing seems to happen.

I used "Preferences --> Advanced --> Plugins --> Get new plugins" and then searched for "djvu" to find and install it, then used the "Restart Calbre" button.

When I repeat that sequence, it says it's status is "Not installed", and yet, the menu item shows up on "Convert books".

Am I doing something wrong?
Jan Steinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:03 AM   #5
TheWizard

check out the jobs window (Gear icon in the lower right) after you try to convert a book. you should see a job listing for the conversion attempt and if you hit the details button, some diagnostic messages. If you have not installed the needed software, the messages will say so there.

GO TO https://github.com/kfix/calibre_plugin_djvumaker to see an example of a completed job.

Advert
Old 03-10-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
Biep
Enthusiast
Biep began at the beginning.

Device: Tobo Touch 2.0; Kobo Aura One
Is there a "deep" reason why KOReader doesn't read PostScript?
Biep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biep View Post
Is there a "deep" reason why KOReader doesn't read PostScript?
What makes you think you'll get a better answer here than in the KOReader forum

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #8
brianswilson
brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Calibre
Exclamation Bug Report

The following error is most likely caused by Calibre switching to Python 3 from Python 2. These errors are similar to errors seen in other plugins.

calibre, version 5.10.1
ERROR: Install plugin failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 709, in _install_clicked
File "calibre\customize\ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
File "calibre\customize\ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
File "calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 293, in load
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked
File "calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 185, in exec_module
File "calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 181, in get_code
File "calibre_plugins.djvumaker.__init__", line 83
prints = partial(log.prints, 1) #log.print(INFO, yaddayadda)
^
TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
brianswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:03 AM   #9
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition and Samsung 10.1 tablet
error message from calibre 5.35.0 tried normal builds and 64bit versions of calibre
install plugin failure, like the user above this plugin no longer works with calibre if I understand what was written. but for some reason my install error had different numbers in it seems I copy & pasted this from calibre error system.

Quote:
calibre, version 5.35.0
ERROR: Install plugin failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 712, in _install_clicked
File "calibre\customize\ui.py", line 476, in add_plugin
File "calibre\customize\ui.py", line 64, in load_plugin
File "calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 292, in load
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked
File "calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 184, in exec_module
File "calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 180, in get_code
File "calibre_plugins.djvumaker.__init__", line 83
prints = partial(log.prints, 1) #log.print(INFO, yaddayadda)
^
TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 01-23-2022 at 05:06 AM.
KindleAZWorKFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:31 AM   #10
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
@KindleAZWorKFX
The plugin author hasn't been seen since "Last Activity: Jul 10th, 2016 08:37 PM" and the plugin was last updated when Calibre 2 was the go to version (22nd Mar 2015).
Also Calibre 5 is written in Python 3 while the earlier versions were in Python 2 so that is a big issue here.
Basically this plugin isn't compatible with Calibre 5 and the author left the building nearly 6 years ago.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:44 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would call this plugin very much dead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:41 PM   #12
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Question

can you recommend a good epub 2 djvu that not online web forum based, like freeware software that doesn't require a website to convert the format, or

a pdf 2 djvu gui that works I tried a program called pdf to DjVu GUI v2.5 by TrustFm , it seems to freeze up on big pdf files, I had used calibre to convert an epub to pdf then load it into that program it got a point into the pages where it seems to of stopped processing it, I don't know if it's the pdf created by calibre that's the problem or if the app itself is bad, in any case can you recommend a good one that works both on windows 10 and windows 11, I am currently running windows 11 on my desktop this year.

it would be nice if the calibre program updated to support the djvu format, I tried a program that seems to support it as a ebook type on my android tablet called, pocketbook that you can upload your own djvu cloud ebooks to it, I understand that it supports epub format and pdf formats already, but sometimes they load ebooks differently in their ebook readers , so thats why I wanted to get a ebook I know how it looks into that format to see how the ebook reader handles the format, but again its not a easy format to use, since calibre doesn't really support it.

at https://cloud.pocketbook.digital/browser/en

in any case I been trying to convert an epub to see how well the pocketbook ebook reader handles that format in djvu but the problem is they are very hard to convert them without a working method.

example of a online converter for epub 2 djvu, I do prefer offline stuff, but online can work it depends on the quality of the convert I guess.

https://convertio.co/epub-djvu/

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 01-23-2022 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:01 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try here ==>> Superuser: How to convert djvu file to pdf or other more common file format?

Irfanview might do the trick, probably need a couple of plugins ==>> https://www.irfanview.com/

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:09 PM   #14
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Try here ==>> Superuser: How to convert djvu file to pdf or other more common file format?

Irfanview might do the trick, probably need a couple of plugins ==>> https://www.irfanview.com/

BR
I am trying to convert from either pdf to djvu or epub to djvu, your links go to the stuff like converting the format of djvu to other formats, thats not what I am looking for ways to convert into the djvu format from either epub or pdf, also mobi or azw to djvu would also work for me.

like epub 2 djvu
or pdf 2 djvu
and mobi 2 djvu would work
but not djvu 2 epub I am not trying to convert djvu ebook formats into other formats, that's not what I am trying to do, anyway thanks for the links or reply on this topic.

example again
https://convertio.co/epub-djvu/
which converts epub to djvu online, but I am looking for a freeware program offline that can do the same type of work, I prefer not to have to use the net to convert files,

for example, like say calibre does it offline and doesn't require the net to process files yet.

also it may be better to use
https://convertio.co/pdf-djvu/
since the windjvu ebook viewer on windows seems to load the epub to djvu the text seems to of changed to images maybe so that's why I think it may need pdf to djvu to keep the text in text format, of course I could be wrong and it may be the method the convertio website handles the files, since the output was 4MB and the normal epub file is around 10MB in size. so I am not sure how to convert it so text is still text like for pocketbook can handle text to speech you don't want your ebooks turned into images for that reason alone I would think. it may also be the windows format view that I download I have yet to look at the file in the pocketbook yet which I am going to do soon, it seems the output format is too small, it should be bigger thats why I think that online converter took the epub and converted it all to images, instead of both text and images in the ebook djvu output format. going to have to view the djvu file on the pocketbook app, since it doesn't have a web view for the format like it does for pdf and epub files, the website you can't view them directly like other formats at its website.

looks like that website cannot handle pdf created from calibre from epub format , it got an error processing the pdf file

the message read converter error result file is empty message from it

Error occurred
Something went wrong, try again. Troubleshooting

for pdf 2 djvu at https://convertio.co/pdf-djvu/

going to try https://convertio.co/mobi-djvu/ next to see if it outputs a ebook with text and images, or a epook with all text as images again it could still be the windjvu ebook viewer software, or maybe it was the format, in any case pdf 2 djvu failed to convert.

I had tried this software title on windows to view it, again it may be the app and not the eBook I am not sure.

windjview at sourceforge (removed link since malware is detected from Windows Security)

ok so text to speech seems to work in that 4MB file output of the epub which was 10MB so I am thinking maybe the text is not converted into an image in that case, it's the software from sourceforge I found, doesn't load it as text and then convertio converted the epub 2 djvu correctly, I am just not sure at this point that it's not shrinking the image quality too much for images compression , it's a good size but if I notice image quality problems I may not like that online method in any case if that's why it took a 10MB ebook and converted it into a 4MB sized ebook, that still seems too small.

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 02-13-2024 at 07:09 PM. Reason: (removed link since malware is detected from Windows Security)
Old 01-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why not try installing a very old version of calibre 2 portable, add the plugin to it, make a brand new library using portable and try that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu pdf conversion