Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #61
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
So none of you see this on your panel?

tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
See what?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #63
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
So none of you see this on your panel?

I see the shadow of something there up on the top right of the display, under "CRAIG". Is that what you're talking about? I assumed that was some sort of photographic artifact.

I don't really see anything unusual, other than that.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #64
SandraMort
SandraMort began at the beginning.

Device: Craig
Based on this thread, as well as a couple of others elsewhere, I grabbed one, too. The thing's charging and hopefully, late tonight while dh codes, I'll be able to work on rooting it. Then... the fun begins!

OH, and I don't see anything in the picture either.

-Sandra
SandraMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #65
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
So I picked one up today. After a 25% off coupon and some CVS extra bucks, I managed to snatch one up for about $70 which makes me I'm all set up and ready to start....

And...I don't see anything in the picture either.
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #66
balloon
balloon began at the beginning.

Device: none
I would like to root android on craig. If anybody knows how to do it, please let me know step-by-step. Thanks.
balloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #67
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloon View Post
I would like to root android on craig. If anybody knows how to do it, please let me know step-by-step. Thanks.
If what you want to do is root it, you can use this. IIRC, I used Androot, but Google's patched the hole that allowed that to work.

To put new firmware on it, see earlier in the thread for the different firmware builds here. Some of them involve flashing your Craig with rkutils, and some of them you just have to put the img file in the root directory of the device and change the name to update.img.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #68
cubman
cubman began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
I have had the Craig a week and love it.I think you all are pro's.I see nothing as well in tipsters picture.Thanks again for what you all do for the newbies like me.
cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #69
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman View Post
I have had the Craig a week and love it.I think you all are pro's.I see nothing as well in tipsters picture.Thanks again for what you all do for the newbies like me.
Glad you like the Craig. Shad deserves all the credit, because he did the really hard work of putting together the firmware.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #70
balloon
balloon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
If what you want to do is root it, you can use this. IIRC, I used Androot, but Google's patched the hole that allowed that to work.

To put new firmware on it, see earlier in the thread for the different firmware builds here. Some of them involve flashing your Craig with rkutils, and some of them you just have to put the img file in the root directory of the device and change the name to update.img.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Now I start confused what I have to do. All I did to my craig is to download custom ROM 4.2. What should I do next if I want to root android? Please let me know step-by-step because I'm new on android and try to learn more.

I tried to "Go Root" on Universal Androot V1.6.2 beta5, I got the message " you device is already rooted! Root again?" Should I go "Root me please" or "No"?

What should I do next?

Thanks.

Last edited by balloon; 03-09-2011 at 10:45 PM.
balloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #71
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
Bummer. I'm starting to get frustrated. I've been at this for a few hours and I keep getting "invalid firmware." I just can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #72
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Just picked up this little puppy at CVS about two hours ago after I read this thread. Charging now. Can't wait to start playing with it!

Is rooting the Craig worth doing? Other than having access to the Android marketplace, what other advantages would I get?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #73
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I see the shadow of something there up on the top right of the display, under "CRAIG". Is that what you're talking about? I assumed that was some sort of photographic artifact.

I don't really see anything unusual, other than that.
Panel is not assembled correctly causes text to drop off to the left side of the panel. You can clearly see the layer is not the same color. I've spoken to a couple on many sites that found the same issue. I guess none of you have seen lines around the edge of your panel.

My review on it here.. But if this is your first tablet and you don't have the two tone issue with the panel then your should be okay with the tablet. I did test it out it was quick. Based on the Next3 RK2818 Dual Core 300MHz (600MHz) with DSP 550MHz CM3 Benchmark of 1,550 to 1,600. Next3 from Nextbook I got the same readings. You can't play 3D games like Angry Birds with this tablet. If your not into games then it's okay. I had only paid $79 bucks for it at CVS. This was my 16th Tablet so far. I still feel the Coby Kyros MID7015-4G is better if you can get that at a good price. Walgreen's Carries this one also.

Last edited by tipstir; 03-10-2011 at 01:23 AM.
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #74
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloon View Post
Now I start confused what I have to do. All I did to my craig is to download custom ROM 4.2. What should I do next if I want to root android? Please let me know step-by-step because I'm new on android and try to learn more.

I tried to "Go Root" on Universal Androot V1.6.2 beta5, I got the message " you device is already rooted! Root again?" Should I go "Root me please" or "No"?

What should I do next?

Thanks.
1) For the 4.2 ROM, all you should need to do is to copy it to the root directory of your Craig via USB and unplug the USB cable. At that point, it should start updating.

2) If for some reason that doesn't work, you can flash it with the firmware instead. These are the instructions for doing that:

Recovery Instructions:

Quote:
1. Turn Power Off
2. Press and hold Power + Home Buttons and plug usb cable in
3. Run RKAndroidBatchUpgrade
4. Select original update image from first post
RKAndroidBatchUpgrade can be found in the rkutils.zip file where you found the images here.

Let me know how that works out for you. I'll give you any additional help you need.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #75
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
Panel is not assembled correctly causes text to drop off to the left side of the panel. You can clearly see the layer is not the same color. I've spoken to a couple on many sites that found the same issue. I guess none of you have seen lines around the edge of your panel.

My review on it here.. But if this is your first tablet and you don't have the two tone issue with the panel then your should be okay with the tablet. I did test it out it was quick. Based on the Next3 RK2818 Dual Core 300MHz (600MHz) with DSP 550MHz CM3 Benchmark of 1,550 to 1,600. Next3 from Nextbook I got the same readings. You can't play 3D games like Angry Birds with this tablet. If your not into games then it's okay. I had only paid $79 bucks for it at CVS. This was my 16th Tablet so far. I still feel the Coby Kyros MID7015-4G is better if you can get that at a good price. Walgreen's Carries this one also.
Dual core 300MHZ? That does make a little bit of sense to me, because it jibes with what I saw when I ran "cat /proc/cpuinfo", but I'm a little confused, b/c the box says 700Mhz. (But what's 100Mhz between friends? )