Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
timtony
timtony began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Newbie Looking for Someone to Convert .lit's & .pdf's

Hi, I'm new to all this 'converting' file types. I have been unsuccessful trying to convert .lit's and .pdf's that I have bought.... No, I wasn't smart enough to really look at what format I was buying... I will from now on.

I'm looking for someone who will convert about 100 books. If you have a Paypal account, I can send you $50.00 for your services before I email the books to you. I'm just really desperate. Kindest Regards, Tim
timtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The PDFs will be a loss. So forget them 100%. You can get ConvertLIT and remove the DRM so you end up with DRM free LIT and then use lit2lrf to convert the LIT to LRF. Not that hard overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If the PDFs have DRM, then they can't be converted.

Converting the LIT (if they have DRM) will be difficult to impossible for someone else to do.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
acemccloudxx
Java Master
acemccloudxx doesn't litteracemccloudxx doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Do-It-Yourself

This is for a Sony PRS-505 (that's what the original poster listed for their reader).

.lit is easy:

If you're on Windows, use ABC Amber LIT converter. Convert to PDF, but go to the Tools -> options and on the PDF tab, set the page size to "Envelope C6". Or you could convert to text but the ABC program has trouble with some characters - like quotes and apostrophes.

The PRS-505 reads PDFs just fine - the only issue is the page size. Envelope C6 is a great size for the Sony. For standard size PDFs, you can use the magnify button and you will eventually get to a setting where the reader draws a half-page in landscape mode. I find it readable but not convenient.

There is a tool that converts PDFs to LRF but I haven't tried it yet.

Ace
acemccloudxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Um... NO! Don't use ABC Amber anything to convert anything to anything. And especially do not convert LIT to PDF. ABC Amber generates the worst files ever made.

If you did purchase the LIT files, you'll need to do the conversion yourself as you are the only one who can get the key needed from your MS Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
timtony
timtony began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Red face Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I've obviously done something wrong. Since I have tried to run/download a couple of these tools, I can't even get MS Word to open anymore. I'll give it another try tomorrow night when I'm not so stressed out. Be thankful you guys are savvy enough to fully understand all of this stuff...
timtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm surprised you guys didn't suggest he print out his PDF's, if possible, and scan (OCR for text) to make non-DRM versions. Is there an inexpensive scanning service out there? I haven't looked myself.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
vasbinde
vasbinde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite / iPad 2 / Various Phones
Lightbulb Converting old DRM'd books for use on a Sony Reader

Hi there,

There are a couple of options:

For LIT -
1. You're in luck here! Just download a program called ConvertLIT, which has a GUI called ConvertLIT GUI. As long as you have your MS REader on your computer activated to your MS Live Passport ID (you know this if you can read your ebooks in reader on your PC), you can then use ConvertLIT to strip out the DRM. Once the DRM is stripped, you can use another program, like libprs500 to convert it to LRF (Sony eReader) format.

For PDF -
The options here are harder, since the only PDF program that could remove DRM without a work around was made by a Russian programmer who got into very hot water for releasing it. It's impossible to find.

Your first question should be "Do your PDF files allow you to print them"?

If you can print, then here are your steps:
1. Either print it to a paper printer and thus kill a tree. Then use a scanner with an automatic document feeder to scan in the paper pages, while running it through an OCR program to save as RTF. Then use libprs500 to convert the file to LRF.
2. OR you can install a PDF converter program that can install a PDF file "printer" into your system. When you do that you'll be able to print your protected DRM'd PDF into an unprotected non-DRM'd PDF. Then you can use a PDF to RTF converter to convert the file to RTF and from there to LRF using libprs500. I would recommend trying PDF Converter 4 from Nuance - Scansoft. If someone knows of a freeware PDF to RTF converter, that would rock as well.

If you CANNOT print your PDFs:
1. Use a screen capture program to capture each page of the file to images, which can be run through an OCR program to switch them into RTF, and thence to LRF. SnagIT from TechSmith is a great choice, with a 30 day trial. I think that it also has an API so that you can write a script that would capture the screen every time it changes, so all you have to do is "page down" through the text and Snagit will capture the 100's of image files.

As you can see, it's possible. Much easier and automated in .LIT format than in PDF, and much easier in PDF if you can print. But as long as you can see the text on the computer screen, you can eventually convert it.

Good luck! and Best Wishes,
Eric
vasbinde is offline   Reply With Quote