Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Fredreeca
Fredreeca began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
New computer and cannot find books

I know this has probably been discussed a thousand times. But, I cannot find the answer. I had caliber on my old desktop. I now have a new desktop and I cant find my books at Calibre. Did I do something wrong or what should I do to retrieve all the books I have saved. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am trying to figure all this out.

thanks so much
Fredreeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There should be a folder on your old desktop called "C:\\Users\<username>\Calibre Library". This is the default location unless you changed it/created new libraries. Just copy the WHOLE FOLDER over to your new computer, and point calibre at the new library, see here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Piggy-backing on this question ... Is there any difference when moving from standard Calibre to the Portable version?
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, as long as you do it right. All books and per-library settings, for instance custom columns, saved searches, virtual libraries, etc. are saved in the database and will be there on any computer/calibre installation that you open that library in.

All general calibre-level settings, for example conversion defaults, device configuration, custom plugins, known libraries, fill-in (search, choose library dialogs) history, and other stuff are stored in the configuration folder. See Preferences ==> Advanced ==> Miscellaneous, "Open calibre configuration directory" to find it, or go to "%APPDATA%\calibre" in the File Explorer. This will need to be copied over to the settings folder in calibrePortable. It will work fine there.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:23 AM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
The only difference I have noticed in using calibre portable and "normal" calibre is that calibre portable insists to have a "Calibre Library" folder in its install folder. Even when you delete it, because you have your library in another place, calibre portable will it just recreate it and will use it on startup as its default library. I never did understand why.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
The only difference I have noticed in using calibre portable and "normal" calibre is that calibre portable insists to have a "Calibre Library" folder in its install folder. Even when you delete it, because you have your library in another place, calibre portable will it just recreate it and will use it on startup as its default library. I never did understand why.
The PortableApps.com version does not do this.

EDIT: Realized upon reading the later posts you meant a library outside of the Portable installation, not a renamed library within calibrePortable. Just clarifying that I didn't mean to imply Kovid's version isn't as good. (I have made that mistake before and was happy to be corrected with new information.)

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-27-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Ensuring the main library being used is inside of the Calibre Portable folder is part of the quality control that makes this a portable version.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Not entirely correct. I renamed my "Calibre Library" to "Library - Main" and added a couple of other libraries in my Calibre Portable folder. As long as you're pointed to a library inside the Calibre Portable folder when you exit Calibre, no matter what the name of that library is, it will start with that library the next time you run Calibre Portable.

I know, I know. Splitting hairs. But the point is, you can actually have multiple libraries, as long as they're in the Calibre Portable folder.

As for why, my guess is it's because of relative paths. The assumption is that Calibre Portable is meant to be installed on an external hard drive or flash drive. In that environment, any library that you have to access with an absolute path will likely be in a different place if you move it to a different computer. For instance, if you plug in your external hard drive on one computer and your library is in G:\Library, then if you take that same hard drive to a different computer, your library might be in H:\Library.

It's different if you put your library inside your Calibre Portable folder. The program doesn't care whether your library is on the G drive or the H drive, because it knows to look for it in the Calibre Portable folder.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The PortableApps.com version does not do this.

EDIT: Realized upon reading the later posts you meant a library outside of the Portable installation, not a renamed library within calibrePortable. Just clarifying that I didn't mean to imply Kovid's version isn't as good. (I have made that mistake before and was happy to be corrected with new information.)
Still, the PortableApps.com version doesn't care where you put the libraries, since it uses the PortableApps.com method of finding the Drive letter and editing known configuration paths. Instead of Kovid's version, which uses relative paths from the portable install root. So in this case, PortableApps.com calibre may be a better match than Kovid's portable calibre.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Hmmmm... I didn't see Calibre in the PortableApps.com catalog. So I downloaded Portable Calibre from the regular calibre-ebook.com location and just put it inside the PortableApps directory so that it shows up in the PortableApps menu. I do this with a couple of programs which I carry around on my big ol' thumb drive.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

It's a development version, because to be fully listed would require a stable release or one that gets updated there.

Since it is only a launcher that requires dropping Kovid's calibre-portable-installer-*.**.exe into the calibrePortable folder, both the first time and every time you want to update, that is difficult.

If you want to use the PortableApps version, google it, or search "calibre" on the PortableApps website.

Actually, I did it for you, so here you go: http://portableapps.com/node/20518

Kovid's version should do just fine, but it won't have the same polish as a PortableApps.com package, like being autoplaced in a category, having a pretty popup when you select it in the PortableMenu, and of course it uses IMHO a superior way of dealing with remembering library locations.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Hampshire Nanny
Guru

Thanks, @eschwartz. Since what I have is working well for me right now (or will work nicely when I move my library), I may just stick with it for a while. Although I have a decent IT background, I find some aspects of Calibre quite challenging and tend to only use it on "autopilot".
Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Thanks, @eschwartz. Since what I have is working well for me right now (or will work nicely when I move my library), I may just stick with it for a while. Although I have a decent IT background, I find some aspects of Calibre quite challenging and tend to only use it on "autopilot".
That's fine. If I hadn't seen the PortableApps version first, I might be using Kovid's version myself.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
For some reason talking about the portablapps.com version in calibre threads rubs me the wrong way when there is a perfectly good calibre portable version supported by Kovid.

But I have a solution, @eschwartz how about creating an information post in the Related Tools forum and we'll sticky it. Then whenever the topic comes up you can refer them to a post outlining all of the pluses with appropriate info and links.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-27-2014 at 10:40 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cannot find books, new computer