Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #556
textbookreader
textbookreader began at the beginning.

Device: nook simpletouch
Red face

Don't know if this is the right place, but is there a way to get a real sync between "pages" in the ebook (I use epub format mostly) and the hardcopy? I am a student and prefer e-textbooks, but my professors assign readings by pages, so I need the numbers to sync to make sure I am reading the right things. Would this be the plugin that would do it or is there another or will no plugin do the job? Oh - I use the nook study for my computers to highlight and read the textbooks, so I save from calibre to epub format before putting in nook study.

Last edited by textbookreader; 09-02-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: more information
textbookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #557
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Maybe this is a stupid question, but:

When converting books to AZW3, the Kindle Paperwhite does not seem to show pages. It does show pages when books are converted to MOBI.

Yesterday, I experimented with Duokan (didn't like it, removed it), and then reloaded the Kindle with books; it was then that I saw that there were no pagenumbers anymore, in the book I was reading.

I set Calibre to convert to AZW3 a long time ago. It could be that the books I've been reading up to now were MOBI books, put onto the Kindle an even longer time ago, but it seems unlikely.

Any thoughts? It'd be a pity if we'd be stuck in the old MOBI format to see page numbers.

Forget it. Working again. Not a plugin problem.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-03-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #558
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@textbookreader - only the book publisher themselves has any way to produce page numbers that correlate between printed and ebook versions. Certainly no plugin can do it. There are plugins for calibre that can "simulate" page numbering dividing the book up into a proportionate number of "pages" based on various algorithms but they can never be used for reference purposes like you are after.

The only guaranteed way I know of is if the publisher provides you with a PDF to match your printed hardcopy and that has matching page numbers on it. But there are other forums on MobileRead where this sort of question is better asked than here.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #559
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
Count pages worked for 2 new books I imported into Calibre this morning.
In selecting the next book to count, I accidentally clicked in the Pages field which changed to "0". Then Count Pages failed for this new book.
Then I upgraded to Calibre1.3 and ran Count Pages again, but it also failed. I'm on Win 7 64 bit, SP 1

It goes through the process of counting the pages and then does not
overwrite the "0" in the Count Pages field. I have no way to turn the
field into "" which I think would make Count Pages work properly.

Thank you.
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #560
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
Count pages worked for 2 new books I imported into Calibre this morning.
In selecting the next book to count, I accidentally clicked in the Pages field which changed to "0". Then Count Pages failed for this new book.
Then I upgraded to Calibre1.3 and ran Count Pages again, but it also failed. I'm on Win 7 64 bit, SP 1

It goes through the process of counting the pages and then does not
overwrite the "0" in the Count Pages field. I have no way to turn the
field into "" which I think would make Count Pages work properly.

Thank you.
did you tic the 'Always overwrite Page and Word counts' customization item?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #561
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I just tried this, and I don't see the behaviour TdeV observes. If the field is 0 it is treated as empty and overwritten (even with the overwrite option off), which makes sense. If it is > 0 I get "Book already has all statistics and overwrite is turned off" in the log.

@TdeV: what happens when it fails, do you get an error or a log message dialog?
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #562
TdeV
Dabbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I've been unable to find this.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #563
TdeV
Dabbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post

@TdeV: what happens when it fails, do you get an error or a log message dialog?
No. Nothing happens.

Where do I find the log?

Last edited by TdeV; 09-15-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #564
TdeV
Dabbler

Quote:
I've been unable to find this.
Always overwrite is ticked ON.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #565
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Very strange. I've tried it with some books: clicked the Pages field, and set it to 0. After running "Count Pages", the page count is back again where it should be. (Calibre 1.3.0, and all the latest plugins, btw.)

Have you checked that the column name is set correctly in the Count Pages plugin; i.e., is the column in there the same as the one you previously wrote page counts to?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #566
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Always overwrite is ticked ON.
Check the Library integrity.
Right-click the Library icon: (no device attached): Library Maintenance:Check Library
(the first phase should be what will catch a DB error, but you probably should run both phases and fix any issues)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #567
phamley
phamley began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, BeBook Neo, Kindle
Problem with Counting Pages.

I've added a page number column and in most cases when I count pages
they display perfectly. On some books however, despite being epub, and
despite the pre-check accepting them as countable, when it updates the
metadata there is no page count showing either in the column, or in
the metadata. There doesn't appear to be an common factor in the books
it is doing this on.

Version is 1.2
Windows 7

Paul
phamley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #568
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

I moved your post to the Count Pages plugin thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamley View Post
On some books however, despite being epub, and
despite the pre-check accepting them as countable, when it updates the
metadata there is no page count showing either in the column, or in
the metadata.
I had one book last week that would not write the count to the column despite multiple attempts. This week I noted the book with the empty column and tried again and this time it wrote the count fine. The only notable difference I recall is calibre 1.2 is now 1.3.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #569
phamley
phamley began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, BeBook Neo, Kindle
May have found a reason

Thanks DoctorOhh for moving the posting - it's my first time and I wasn't sure where it should go. I'm now on 1.3 and I've got 47 books with no page counts, out of about 10,000. 7 show errors and can't be read during the queuing phase. I ran the count again and got the same issue, all seemed to run fine, but after updating all of the page count fields were empty.

What I did do this time, on a whim, was look at the detail of the count as it happened, and every book had some sort of error in the process (spine empty?, invalid file?....) - so I'm assuming that's what's stopping the count being shown - pity there's no error message displayed for it!!

Never mind.

Paul
phamley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #570
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in set up.
Quote:
Add a custom column with Preferences->Add your own columns. I suggest the following values:
Lookup name: pages
Column heading: Pages
Column type: Integers
Formatting: {0:,}
I was able to put in the lookup name and Column heading but I can't figure out the other two settings.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin