Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #16
anthonyb
anthonyb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi v3.2.1
My Kindle Touch was jailbroken, and last week it automatically upgraded itself overnight to 5.3.2.1. Now my jailbreak is gone! So it seems the JB does not remain intact.
anthonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #17
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Mine upgraded from 5.3.2 and it did not touch the jailbreak.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #18
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyb View Post
My Kindle Touch was jailbroken, and last week it automatically upgraded itself overnight to 5.3.2.1. Now my jailbreak is gone! So it seems the JB does not remain intact.
It does. The update does NOT touch the jailbreak.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Was there like a really old version "Pre-JB bridge" that might have been nerfed?
I am struggling to remember. The OP doesn't state when he did the works...

I kind of recall Niluje having to do some remedial works?
Anyways. Semantics aside...

Test it isn't JB first. Try to install something. Assuming it's nerfed:

Kubrick it.

Update it yourself. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...41340#download

Did it yesterday. Twice. Worked fine.

Also update your listed device please to make support easier.
Regards,
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The jailbreak bridge is not needed on the Touch, because all updates released so far for that device are incremental. And none of them deletes the jailbreak...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
anthonyb
anthonyb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi v3.2.1
I was being stupid - yes the JB is still there. I had to just reinstall the dev certs and the kindlet JB. Now it is working just fine
anthonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

: ) Joyous rapture

Spoiler:

Last edited by twobob; 04-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #23
dudefella
dudefella began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
5.3.2.1 not going into USB downloader mode

Joining this conversation late, but I've read up all about this in the forums and can't find an answer to my problem: I've upgraded all the way to 5.3.2.1 without jailbreaking (and my device is not bricked). Now that I'm trying out Kubrick, my Kindle is not doing anything when I follow Kubrick's instructions to place it in USB downloader mode.

I tried: Hold power button until LED goes off, then depress home button, release power button, release home button (as instructed by Kubrick)

Also: Hold power button and home button together until LED goes off, then release power button, release home button.

Also: Swapping the order of releases.

Also: different delays in releasing either button.

No luck.

Might that be because of some change in the "invisible" update from 5.3.2 to 5.3.2.1?

Anybody else in my situation? Or am I being stupid?
dudefella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
I Kubricked my 5.3.2.1 KT just to double check... Can be fiddly to get the timing right but the instructions are basically sound.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #25
dudefella

Still no luck, video placed on youtube

Still no luck. To show what I'm doing, here's a youtube video:

What about the timing can be fiddly? Should I wait for it to start hard booting before depressing the home button? (Which would mean I can't have the home button depressed while pressing the power button, because then it never hard boots.) Should I hold down the home button for a while? Is there any visual feedback available to guide me?

I someone has the inclination, show us on youtube what it looks like when it works?

Thanks!

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-17-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: fixed youtube link
Old 05-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
twobob

hmm...I see..

Hold down the button for WAY longer. Like 30s say.
and then jam your finger on the HOME button, then release the power, then hold down the HOME button until it is good and "booted" (which is a completely non-visual process sadly) not a tap like that. maybe 5 seconds or so, I forget.

Basically are you expecting some sort of visual output? Cos there is NONE on the screen.

maybes I can put together a viddy later if you don't get it done with those tips.
but 5.3.2.1 should work JUST fine. no special considerations that I know of.

Last edited by twobob; 05-17-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #27
dudefella

Success!

Thanks twobob! You're right, there is no feedback on the kindle whatsoever, but kubrick gave me the necessary confirmation when I followed your instructions. So a video won't be necessary for me, and it won't show much either.

Thanks again, I'm jailbroken!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #28
twobob

De nada. Glad to assist.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
dudefella

Kubrick without downgrading

Oh and I might add, since my kindle wasn't bricked, I didn't have to downgrade the firmware. Kubrick allowed me to jailbreak, without changing firmware version from 5.3.2.1. Absolutely great tool if you ask me! Thanks ixtab!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #30
twobob

YAY IXTAB!

: D