Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #1381
yolan
Connoisseur
yolan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & Kindle PW
Hey guys...
Don't know what happened, my reader just stopped usign the epub fonts...
It used to work fine when I tested the feature, but yesterday I opened a new epub and it does not show verdana, as it is supposed to...

I have re-installed PRS+, nothing... then reflashed to original firmware, after that installed PRS+ again... nothing!!
In fact the reader "rememebers" my previous PRS+ config, and the epub and fonts directories are still there (I guess it is normal?)
The thing is... it is as if it read the css file but could not locate the fonts, all the other stuff in the css file (sizes, etc) is applied to the epub, but it just doesn't change the font face....
Any ideas? Yes, I tried to delete the fonts directory and create it anew... and I am using Surquizu css samples, which have been already tried and true.

I'll take another look and try to find what I'm missing.... sure I'm missing something
yolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #1382
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
First check what happens with a different book. An EPUB book can override the default CSS or use such styles that prevent the user fonts from being used.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #1383
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Remember, that paths are case sensitive.
If you didn't modify anything, maybe internal memory file system got corrupted. You could run chkdsk /f driveletter: or reformat it. (don't forget to save your data, if you do the latter)
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #1384
yolan
Connoisseur
yolan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & Kindle PW
Oh, dear...
pepak, you were so right...
Who would have thought... I don't have so many epub books, so I tried the two books in my reader that I was sure were epub files. I kept switching them back and forth to test the fonts with no result.
I also run the chkdsk (thanks Kartu!), although it all remained the same.
And, just before formatting.. I loaded another epub and tried... and voila... there we go.. all the text in Verdana

Thank you guys...
yolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #1385
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
The 500 upgrade isn't just software, it's a hardware mod as well by Sony...
What I want to know is why then did we have to send back the 500 a second time for a new firmware to fix the battery issue from the first ePub firmware update? Was it yet a second hardware mod?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #1386
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I want to know is why then did we have to send back the 500 a second time for a new firmware to fix the battery issue from the first ePub firmware update? Was it yet a second hardware mod?
You'll have to ask Sony.

One of two solid possibilities exist. Either it was another hardware mod or it was a Quality Control / customer service decision. It is possible that the last was a firmware upgrade that they chose to do in house to minimize the public relations damage by the battery drain problem. After all they created the battery problem so they chose to fix the problem without straining the brains of their customers in the process.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #1387
bub
bub began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Sorry if this has been discussed, I tried to read every page.

I'm using the 1.1.3(?) PRS+, the issue is the time is always PM. No matter what my settings, the clock always shows PM, never AM.

Love the software and really appreciate all the information regarding changing fonts through Calibre and CSS.

George
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #1388
solyfugo
solyfugo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just wanted to thank you guys for this awesome work.

I got it installed and running and I am really happy with the new options. The PRS-505 is a great device and now is far much better thanks to you.

Thanks to surquizu by his contribution in the Spanish forum "lectoreselectronicos" and very special thanks to kartu for its development.

solyfugo

Last edited by solyfugo; 07-30-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: word correction
solyfugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #1389
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
bub
What you describe is rather a strange behavior. There is a known bug with 12:00am showing as 12:00pm, but other than that, it should work.
Which locale are you using? Maybe "am" string was translated as "pm".

solyfugo
Glad that you enjoy it, pal...
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #1390
IzzyMad
Enthusiast
IzzyMad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sorry if this has been asked before but can I change the system fonts wand still use PRS+.

For example would any font I loaded using PRSCustomizer be still usable after loading PRS+

Or is there a way of installing them at the same time or after install PRS+

Tahnks
IzzyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #1391
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyMad View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but can I change the system fonts wand still use PRS+.

For example would any font I loaded using PRSCustomizer be still usable after loading PRS+

Or is there a way of installing them at the same time or after install PRS+
Hi Izzy, You have to install them after PRS+. I made myself some notes when I did this so I'll reproduce them here for you.

(All of this was gathered from various other posts so thanks to the original posters.)

This assumes you have already installed PRS+ and that you kept copies of the customised files you used when you originally ran PRSCustomizer.

Code:
NB. step 3 critical to success.

1. Install PRS+ (skip if you already have it installed)

2. Use Igorsk's Universal Flasher (I used an empty SD card).

3. You MUST verify that the folder files.505.1.1.00.18040 and the its subfolders (in SD Flasher) are empty. Delete ALL files.

4. Place the customized tt0011m_.ttf etc font files in the files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\FONT\ directory on the SD card.

5. If you want to update the icons and logo at this time, the new kBookIcon.png and kBookAssets.png files should be placed in the files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\scripts\ directory on the SD card.

6a. Create an empty directory called tmp in PRS505 root dir. (For me, process has occasionally failed without it.)

6b. Start (insert card into reader) Igorsk's Universal Flasher make a new image
    Press 5.

7. Then Flash the image (press 6).
Hope it helps
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #1392
IzzyMad
Enthusiast

When you say:

"6a. Create an empty directory called tmp in PRS505 root dir. (For me, process has occasionally failed without it.)"

Do you mean to add a folder called "tmp" in the internal memory of the prs.

Sorry to seem thick but this is an expensive pice of kit and I've already bricked it three times trying differnt combinations.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #1393
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyMad View Post
Do you mean to add a folder called "tmp" in the internal memory of the prs.
Yes, Izzy, that's exactly what I mean. I'm not sure why, but step 6b has occasionally failed (but not always) if that dir isn't already present. It shouldn't do any harm even if it's not really necessary.

...and you don't seem thick at all, merely cautious, which is a good thing when hacking, I would say.

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-20-2010 at 07:34 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #1394
IzzyMad
Enthusiast

Thanks jackie_w especially for the kind words at the end. It works great... when I get the font names right.

Does anyone know why it is that no matter what I seem to try I can't change all three fonts,
the Monospaced font wont change to anything that registers even the original font does not create any noticeable effect (the reader just puts in another of the fonts, usually the sans serif). Any answers please

Last edited by IzzyMad; 08-27-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Lack of complete control over text
Old 09-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #1395
VICTORSJG
Addict
VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Kartu, i've seen in the project page, a new version 2.0 for prs 300 model, will you upload a similar for the prs 505 model, incorporating the new functions, and the rest of the functions ask for the different people?

thanks
VICTORSJG is offline   Reply With Quote