Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
tstngry
tstngry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g
Locked out of ssh, No 3g HELP!

Yesterday I was bored and was poking around after sshing into my kindle and came across the idme command. I should have known immediately not to mess with it but I did anyway. I changed my serial number just for fun, no evil intentions at all. I had heard about it once before in reference to changing the screensaver but my ss hack was already working perfectly, again idk why I decided to do this. Anyway after restarting to check to see if the changes took effect, my password was not working. I didn't forget it, just for some reason didn't want to work. I assume now that the serial number and the password are related somehow. So because I was effectively locked out I called amazon support to reset my kindle. After reseting to factory defaults the serial number was not my original serial number it was the one I had changed it to. As a result my 3g won't work. I tried to ssh into my kindle to reset the serial number but because of the factory reset this didn't work. Also I cannot re-install any of the hacks because I disabled updating by renaming /etc/uks to /etc/uks.disabled. The commands for the usbnetwork hack like ;debugon ~usbnetwork etc. still appear to work but they do not actually enable me to ssh anymore. I attribute this to the fact that the folder usbnet (not sure if that is it's name) is no longer present due to the factory reset.

So... if someone would be so kind as to upload their usbnet folder that belongs on the root of the kindle (/mnt/us) maybe I could actually get into the kindle via ssh and sort this whole mess out. Or if anyone knows of a way to open the kindle and actually reset it completely that would be great. I have really painted myself into a corner here and need some help. I drove all the way across town just to use the internet to post this, so again if anyone could help me out by uploading the usbnet folder you would be my savior. Please please, and Thank you.
tstngry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
tstngry

After doing a little bit more research I am thoroughly convinced that all I need is the usbnet folder. And btw I have a Kindle Keyboard 3g US version. I am just staring at this thread waiting for a reply, so please please help.
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why on earth would you change your serial number, of all things? That is how the Kindle is registered to your account. You might have picked a serial number that belongs to someone else.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
tstngry

Like I said I realize how stupid it was now. All I want to do is change it back (thank god I saved my orginal serial number). There is no way for me to register this serial number with amazon, so I am not trying to steal someones serial number. I know its a lot to ask, but all I need is the usbnet folder. I am the first to admit that what I did was stupid. I just want to fix it now.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
tstngry

This will be the second post on this board that I resolved myself. What I did was is used the kindle_update_tool.py that I found somewhere on this board to extract the .bin file for the install of the usbnetwork hack and then copied the usbnet folder (just as I suspected that I needed) to the root of my kindle.

./kindle_update_tool.py e update_usbnetwork_0.35.N_k3g_install.bin

I cannot express in words how relieved I am to have sorted this out. Thank you to anyone who may have read this thread, help given or not.
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask developer-type questions in the developer sub-forum. Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote