Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
robertdeuchar
robertdeuchar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Problem with E-book and Sony ebook store

I am and have been having alot of problems with getting books from the store, technically everything works downloads etc. The reason for purchasing the ebook in the first place is the remote location nearest book store is about 2.5 hours away. When I change the credit/debit information in the store to use some mastercard/visa prepaid cards, the store tells me I am not in my home country (canada), I am, but it would appear that hughes net is connection me to the internet in the US. I phone Sony and their suggestion is to exchange the prepaid gift cards for sony ones at Walmart, these can be redeemed from all over the world. Guess what at Walmart's in kamloops they searched the product database and tell me NO only in the US walmarts can you get the Sony gift cards.
I went to look online and there are a number of people based in the US who are offering to purchase Sony gift cards and send the number to people outside the US but a $25 gift card can cost you as much as $35. The reader is great just leave it at home when you travel outside of your country. I now have to travel an hour and a half to get to a place with terestrial broadband to be able to dedeem the debit cards because there I have a Canadian ip number.
Has anyone had a similar experience with other readers ????
robertdeuchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Can't you use one of these programs that change/cloak your IP address? I figure if people can use those programs to get a US IP from other countries abroad, you should also be able to get a Canadian IP.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Ouch !

Last i tried, the sony store would allow me to say "i'm living in the US", and use my french credit card, and french IP.
I hope i'll still be able to buy books from there.

I would love to be able to chose between US and UK publishers... Silly geo-restictions...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
Can't you use one of these programs that change/cloak your IP address? I figure if people can use those programs to get a US IP from other countries abroad, you should also be able to get a Canadian IP.
I thought proxy software only worked via a web broswer. Can you get programs that makes any program that accesses the internet use a proxy? Because you purchase books from sony via their own software - not their website.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote