Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
makani
Enthusiast
makani began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-505
library book returns

I have a Sony prs505 and frequently download books from the overdrive library system at my local library. Like all of us I often have to put the book I want on reserve because it is already out on loan. I have tried somthing new lately that might make our waits for desired books shorter and increase the number of books available to us on overdrive.

I download an available book I want to my computer and then load it onto my reader. Then I disconect the reader and immediately return the book to the library. I am still able to read the book on my reader for the alloted loan time but it is now available for download to another patron, who doesn't have to wait for my loan time to expire.
makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I have always done the same for ebooks I get from the library. The one downside is not being able to connect the Reader to your computer until you finish reading the book as it will see you returned it and delete the content on the Reader.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I have heard that some libraries will freeze your account if you return too many titles too quickly. have you returned many titles at the same time or within a day of others?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
It is still the same old story however
Libraries must own one copy of a book for each outstanding loan.
If you return the book and are still reading it this means that the library perhaps will not purchase another copy for that book.
Unwitting theft of intellectual property by the library which they may be liable for even if you are the guilty party.
Beating the system is one thing, but pretending you are being altruistic by making something available to other patrons at the copywright holders expense and blantantly expecting a pat on the back for it is a bit beyond the pale.

Getting free ebooks from the library, even if it means waiting a month or so, is a priveledge which could be revoked if enough people mess around with it.

I understand the temptation, but you are screwing the authors/publishers etc. out of the very small compensation recieved from the library and have the nerve to brag about it?.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I honestly can't see a library ever being liable for what a patron does with their library book. I've never heard of any sort of actual case that would indicate this is a risk. As far as I know not even the RIAA has attempted to sue libraries for kids copying music CDs they've checked out, but don't give them any ideas because I think that if they get whiff of a possibility they might try it the money grubbing jerks.

As for the privilege of "free" library books being revoked, please remember that library books are not free. I suspect that as long as customers demand eBooks libraries will attempt to fill that demand. I personally pay a little over $200 a year for my library use and every book that my library purchases on Overdrive is paid for ... with money ... usually at a price that is far higher than what Amazon charges for the same book.

I try to return my Overdrive books as soon as possible although I admit that I only found out a couple of months ago that you could return an Overdrive book early. I'm not great at reading directions I guess. I also set my check-out period to default to 7 days instead of 21 days because like you I've noticed those wait lists building like crazy.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
makani
Enthusiast
makani began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-505
Hi Helen,
My library pays a fee to the overdrive system to be able to lend out their copies of audio & ereader books to it's partons. I pay taxes that cover the expenses of the libraries. I don't think returning books "early" in anyway hurts authors or publishers unless you think perhaps someone would buy an ebook instead of waiting for it to come available at the library site.
Cheers,
Phil
makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guess I went on to long. My point was if someone (op) is deliberately cheating the system instead of perhaps working to make it better that person is harming someone if only by a little bit.

Perhaps I am wrong in thinking bragging about cheating the system and the copywright holders and encouraging others to do the same is a bit out of place on this board.

I am not the totally innocent person here and have done similiar things (although not as kludgily as the op) and on reflection decided that it was clearly the wrong thing to do.

Probably I am a bit preachy on the subject due to residual guilt.

Helen
Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard

Hi Makani (Phil)
Nothing wrong with returning a book early if you are done with it and will never use it again without reborrowing it.

If 100 people want a book (waiting list, wish list) the library may(probably will) buy another copy or two.

Still having the ability to read the book after you return it is not following the traditional library model although you could always photocopy books (illegally still in many countries while others charge fees for copying equipment etc. which compensates the authors to a small degree)

Probably I am beating a dead horse, but if all the books were returned the day they were borrowed libraries would buy less books, saving each taxpayer pennies a year.
Soon publishers would stop selling to libraries (and they have the right to keep books out of a library in many places)

(Going on again)
If the library allows you to keep the book legally after returning it, then by all means do so. Call them and ask them if you are in doubt. If not you are breaking a contract, stated or implied which you have voluntarily entered into by borrowing the book and skipping past all those accept screens from Adobe, Overdrive etc.

No one is going to sue you, but if you haven't finished reading it why return it illegally?

Helen