Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 03:47 AM   #1
PortaDiFerro
PortaDiFerro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy How to get books?

So, Me and wife are really liking ebooks even though they do make you jump through the hoops a lot.

Main problem is that we're living in Finland/EU, and no store seems to want to sell to us! Waterstones has worked but now for some reason the account got locked, and would need to call there, which I'm not willing to do. Another option has been Amazon, since so far the hacks have been working and can strip their DRM to read on wifes Sony ereader or my Nokia N800, but I'd really rather not support shops that impose proprietary DRM schemes.

Does anybody know of any other store that would sell across EU? Non-DRM would be great, but that's probably too much to ask for in mainstream literature. Adobe Digital/epub is acceptable, at least it's more "open" standard.

I'm truely getting ticked off by the way they are treating customers who would be willing to pay for their products. Piracy sure is starting to seem tempting.. perhaps could just send money to author in brown envelope :P

Oh, and I think I'm actually committing a bigger crime by breaking copy protection, so from legal point of view I'd probably be safer by pirating, but it's just against my own moral guidelines.
PortaDiFerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
WH Smith will often sell in the EU. You just need to check the title. Some say "available everywhere" while others say "limited availability." If it says the latter, click that and it will tell you which countries they can sell the book to. If it says the former, it can be sold to anywhere. Otherwise, try smaller places like Baen which sells worldwide without DRM.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Also, try Kobo. If they sell books to Sweden, they should sell books to Finland.

And check out this thread.

I don't know how good your Swedish is, or where in Finland you live, but some Finnish libraries have e-books from elib.se
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Can't you get books from Smashwords? No DRM!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really would suggest that you get your account problems with Waterstones sorted out. They are one of the best sources of commercial eBooks for international users.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
Kantis
Kantis began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
I live in Finland too, and in addition to Waterstones I've succesfully purchased ebooks from eBooks.com . Although unfortunately not everything they have to offer is available to Finland -- the phrase "For copyright reasons, this ebook is only available to customers in this list of countries" is becoming too familiar. Why oh why won't they let me order any Carl Sagan? What would be the bad thing that would happen if they accepted my money and let me download that ebook?
Kantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantis View Post
What would be the bad thing that would happen if they accepted my money and let me download that ebook?
They could get sued for breaking the terms of their contract which restricts them to selling the book to people in specific countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
PortaDiFerro
PortaDiFerro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks all for answers. Fixed the Waterstones problem now by creating another account there so will be able to buy from there again.

Tried WH Smith, but apparently that title wasn't available outside UK. Good to know they they do sell to other countries though, so might have to keep an eye on them.

Kobo I tried too, though Inkmesh, but went straight to "This content is not available internationally." -page so didn't pay any mind to them. Will have to put that one to bookmarks too..

Bought one title from Baen, but never finished it.. I do want to support authors who put their work out without DRM, the site just seemed bit messy and didn't really see any user reviews and such, so hard to figure out what's good.

What comes to libraries, I inquired about ebooks from our library a while back and they said they have been looking into it for some time and are most interested in getting those, but there's been some problems. They will know better this fall. Meanwhile that Free Library of Philadelphia might be worth checking out!

It's a shame though one can't donate ebooks to libraries, as I've often done with regular books. Or is there some way to transfer the ownership?

Thanks again
Petri Aho
PortaDiFerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro View Post
Tried WH Smith, but apparently that title wasn't available outside UK. Good to know they they do sell to other countries though, so might have to keep an eye on them.
You can circumvent geo-restrictions of the new WH Smith store:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98221
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Did you try www.kobobooks.com directly?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro View Post
It's a shame though one can't donate ebooks to libraries, as I've often done with regular books. Or is there some way to transfer the ownership?

Thanks again
Petri Aho
Here it is explained how one could go about donating ebooks to a library. Unfortunately it sounds quite complicated and labourintensive.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geographical restriction