Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
UK based e-reader - questions from a newbie

Hi
I am starting to get to grips with a few things (such as actually reading) but there are other things that completely blow my mind. As a very very newbie I would be grateful if those in the know could clear a few things up for me.

For my first downloaded book from the WH Smith Website I was told I needed to downloade Adobe Digital Editions in order to successfully complete the process, which I did.

Upon purchase of my Sony prs-600 in order to access the free 100 books which I was entitled to upon registration, it was necessary for me to download the Sony Reader Library software - which I did. However I now find out that I am unable to get books from the Sony store due to being outside the USA.

When exploring this forum, I discovered Calibre, which I understand can do all sorts of marvellous things (have not explored it very far as yet) so have also downloaded that.

So my first question is - Do I really need the Sony Reader library at all if I can't use it to download books from Sony Store and can I do all my organising through calibre?

And I suppose my second is, will I need to download new software for access books from various sites, or does it depend on the format of the book?
thanks
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
If you want to use calibre (and I would recommend it) you wont need the sony software. You can organise all your books, convert files and transfer books to your PRS-600 using calibre. If you decide not to use the Sony software then you will need to download Adobe Digital aditions so that you can read DRM protected books on your PRS-600 (Books you buy online). Once you download ADE, it will ask you to set up an account and authorise your computer. Once you connect your PRS-600 to the computer and open up ADE it will ask you to authorise your device. Once you have done that you will be ready to go with both calibre and ADE.

ADE is used for DRM protected books that you will buy from sites like WH Smiths, Waterstones, the book depository etc.

Calibre will generally be used for DRM free books.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Adobe and Sony readers will cover most of the ebooks you can buy, but Calibre won't be much use if they are DRM restricted.

As for not being allowed to buy books because you live in the wrong place, welcome to the crazy world of ebooks.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
As for your question about the Sony software - I have never installed it. It means I can't use the Sony store - which is no bad thing - and by all accounts it gets in the way of other things.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for help in my getting my head round what will be the first of many challenges no doubt.

So - given that I downloaded the Adobe Digital Extension (ADE) software first, the only reason that the Sony software was useful was to download the free books. As these free books are not protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM) I can view them using the free viewer in calibre?

The books I bought (Dragon Tattoo etc) are protected by DRM so they cannot be viewed by calibre. And given that they can be viewed through ADE, then Sony Reader Library can be safely uninstalled?

But of course they are all safely on my prs-600 so don't really need to be viewed on my pc at all, but can be should I so desire.
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
As said above, ADE and Calibre is all you need. Furthermore, once you have authorised any drm protected book with ADE you can add it to your Calibre library and just use your Calibre for all syncing with your 600.

Assuming you have the Sony software installed, go in to its preferences and mark for it NOT to launch automatically - you do not want the Sony and the Calibre software open at the same time with your 600 connected.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
For viewing on your pc - drm epubs will have to be opened in ADE.

Non drm - if you still have your Sony software installed, just make sure the file itself has not be set to be opened with the Sony software, or change it if it has.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiegirl2012 View Post
The books I bought (Dragon Tattoo etc) are protected by DRM so they cannot be viewed by calibre. And given that they can be viewed through ADE, then Sony Reader Library can be safely uninstalled?
Yes. You don't need it at all now you've downloaded the free books. Get rid of it and only use ADE to handle DRM-protected books, the fewer programs you have the better.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Yes. You don't need it at all now you've downloaded the free books. Get rid of it and only use ADE to handle DRM-protected books, the fewer programs you have the better.
Done it.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Chances are you can get everything Sony was giving away in ePub format from the Kobo store--or many other places--as it is usually public domain books that are given way in this way. Kobo ePUB files use Adobe ADE.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Chances are you can get everything Sony was giving away in ePub format from the Kobo store--or many other places--as it is usually public domain books that are given way in this way. Kobo ePUB files use Adobe ADE.
I came to this conclusion when I discovered Kobo and various other sites last night that the majority of free books on them are the same.

And Sony wasn't giving ePUB files they were giving BBeB versions with LRF file extensions.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sorry to be late in, Georgie. Internet problems for the past few days. I've used a Sony for a couple of years now. The hardware's great ... the library software ain't. I've not used the Sony Library since I installed Calibre about eighteen months ago. Works like a charm. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Calibre will allow you to sort and manage all your books as in a Library (DRM and non-DRM).

What Calibre will not do is allow you to use the in-built viewer to view the DRM'ed books, nor convert them to another format, (unless liberated).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur

Thank you all for your help with my first questions. I have a few more if you don't mind - I have looked on the calibre section but it's all too technical for me at the moment.

I have now read 2 books and want to be able to indicate that I've read them. How do I do it?

And also - having now updated the metadata so that I've got cover pictures for books if I try and add them to my sony prs-600 will it just overwrite what's already on there or will they be added as extra books?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
All my ebooks are organised in Calibre; I have a created a couple of custom metadata categories - both are 'yes/no' variety and are named 'Have Read' and 'Waiting'. I can therefore categorise titles as un-read and waiting to be read, un-read and unlikely to be read (think strange freebies which I don't have the heart to throw out). Obviously titles which I have read are then tagged as 'Have Read'.
I did try doing something similar with collections using the Sony software - the 'orrid quality was what drove me to discover Calibre.
Hope this helps!
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote