Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Darknet unethical when the book is out of print?
Yes, using the darknet is unethical. 41 19.71%
No, anything that is out of print is fair game. 142 68.27%
Not sure. 25 12.02%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #61
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
My rubbish summary was of Jonathan Haidt's work, which is more subtle than I suggested. And quite entertaining
Oh, a TED talk. That is guaranteed to be some quality work that is well worth watching.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #62
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I think preserving texts is more important than protecting copyright.
I agree. Artistic/intellectual value of a text should prime over the financial aspect. It doesn't mean the authors shouldn't be fairly compensated. I just can't accept the publishers to remove any book because it doesn't make a return of (I just invent the percentage) 35% instead of 5-10% (what should be more than enough). In today's world (any activity), any profit that is less than 25-40% is considered as a loss. Helllooo!
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #63
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
Oh, a TED talk. That is guaranteed to be some quality work that is well worth watching.
Did you mean that it is or it isn't?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #64
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij View Post
Agree. Artistic/intellectual value of a book should prime over the financial aspect. However, it doesn't mean the authors shouldn't be fairly compensated. I can't accept the publishers to cut any book because it doesn't bring (I just invent) 35% instead of 5-10% (what should be more than enough). In today's world (any area), any profit that is less than 25-40% is considered as a loss. Helllooo!
Really? A lot of businesses have much tighter margins than this.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #65
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Really? A lot of businesses have much tighter margins than this.
They do, but it is still considered as a loss for the vast majority of, especially big, companies. And publishers are there, isn't it?.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #66
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
They do, but it is still considered as a loss for the vast majority of, especially big, companies. And publishers are there, isn't it?.
Not the vast majority: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...tries/profits/
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #67
Ben Thornton
Guru

Quote:
I'm still not convinced. Profit at 25% of turnover would be massive - never mind 40% - for a large company.

I just googled some:
Amazon.com: 3.83%
Apple: 21.43%
IBM: 14.39%
Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #68
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I'm still not convinced. Profit at 25% of turnover would be massive - never mind 40% - for a large company.

I just googled some:
And Apple is an outlier, for sure.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #69
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:

I just googled some:
And I think the decision to not continue to publish is usually because the company feels they can't make any money or will lose money by printing more books. Anybody who's ever considering self-publishing physical books can relate to this. You have to sell a lot of books to break-even on even a small print run.
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #70
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I think what some people have being trying to say here is that a good guideline for "ethical" is to follow the Golden Rule. Basically, don't hurt others. If a book has gone out of print, then getting a copy off the Darknet doesn't hurt anyone. It's not a matter of entitlement, simply that you should be free to do what you want as long as you aren't hurting anyone.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #71
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
The original intent of copyright law was as stated previously. Incentive for folks to create, to make a profit...then it was turned over to the public for the public good.

Then it was totally butchered to the current lifetime + 50...along with other changes to account for corporate "people" (you know...that have the same rights as people now apparently, except the bad parts).

I can see extending it a bit beyond the 14+14 concept it started with...but 100+ years is ridiculous. As is the corporate loopholes.

I don't have any ethical issues with downloading things not commercially available. With books I think I don't really have any ethical qualms about buying a physical copy at a used bookstore and downloading an ebook, either - IMO that's even better. Who am I depriving income of, then, really?

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-26-2010 at 12:57 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #72
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Personally, I think that grabbing books off the darknet is unethical if you're depriving the legitimate copyright holder of a sale. That's difficult to do if the book is out of print.
Bingo!

The purpose of the copyright law is to make more books available by increasing the likelihood that people who write books will make money doing so. A writer who does not offer his book for sale violates the intended functioning of the law, so he lacks any moral basis for asserting any rights granted by the law.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #73
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Personally, I think that grabbing books off the darknet is unethical if you're depriving the legitimate copyright holder of a sale. That's difficult to do if the book is out of print.
Ding Ding, We have a winner!
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #74
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
Reading pirated books is dangerous and will make you go blind. Don't do it!

Also, looking at photographs or videos of people enjoying copyright vio's is dangerous and should be banned.
(Although it's not so bad if the people are seen to be frowning while "enjoying" the copyright violation.)
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #75
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcheville View Post
Reading pirated books is dangerous and will make you go blind. Don't do it!
Does a blind pirate wear two eye patches instead of one?

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-26-2010 at 09:52 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote