Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Nifty
Enthusiast
Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX
Simplest method to register your Kindle w/2.5.x firmware, if you live outside US

Hi everyone!

English is not my native language, so please forgive me all my mistakes

This tutorial for anyone, who own US version of Kindle, live outside US and can't get access to Whispernet, but want to make it registered (without registration collections feature is disabled) and don't want to mess with usbnetwork and etc.

1. Do you have US version of Kindle 2 or Kindle DX with 2.5.x firmware? If yes, go to step 2.

2. At first, you must install jailbreak package, this step is required.
Extract files from archive and select the right ".bin" file for your device, "k2" files for Kindle 2, "k3" files for Kindle DX. "k2i" and "k3i" is for international (global wireless) versions of corresponding devices.
For example, if you own Kindle DX - you need two files: "update_jailbreak_k3_install.bin" (for step 3) and "update_jailbreak_k3_uninstall.bin" (for step 7). Ok, you have correct files, go to step 3.

3. Plug in you kindle to PC and put file named "update_jailbreak_k?_install.bin" to the root folder of your kindle storage. Now disconnect kindle from PC, press "Menu" button and select "Settings" menu item. Wait a second and press "Menu" button again, now select "Update Your Kindle" menu item (must be active), then select "Ok".
Update will fail, but don't worry, that is Ok! Wait until device is completely reboot and go to step 4.

4. Get reginfo update(mirror). Extract files from archive and select the right file for your device. For example, if you own Kindle DX you need two files, "reginfo.ini" and "update_reginfo_0.1_k3_2.5_install.bin".
Now open reginfo.ini in WordPad (or TextEdit if you're an Apple Mac user) and make appropriate changes.
Code:
REGINFO_DEVICE_NAME="Jeff's Kindle"
REGINFO_GIVEN_NAME="Jeff Preston Bezos"
REGINFO_AMAZON_NAME="Jeffrey Bezos"
REGINFO_AMAZON_EMAIL="jeff"
REGINFO_DEVICE_NAME is name of your device, will be displayed on "Settings" page, under "Device Name" section.
REGINFO_GIVEN_NAME is your given name.
REGINFO_AMAZON_NAME is your name from Amazone account, if you have it, of course. If not - just type the same as given one. Will be displayed on "Settings" page under "Registration" section.
REGINFO_AMAZON_EMAIL is your amazon e-mail address. You must type it without "@xxxxx.xxx" part, because "@kindle.com" will be added automatically. Will be displayed on "Settings" page under "Device E-mail" section.
You must change only text highlighted in RED.
Please don't use non-latin characters and double quotes for your info! After all, save changes and go to step 5.

5. Plug in you kindle to PC and put two files named "reginfo.ini" and "update_reginfo_0.2_k?_install.bin" to the root folder of your kindle storage. Now disconnect kindle from PC, press "Menu" button and select "Settings" menu item. Wait a second and press "Menu" button again, now select "Update Your Kindle" menu item (must be active), then select "Ok".
This update must be installed successfully.
Wait until device is completely reboot and go to step 6.

6. Hooray! You did it! If you go to "Settings" page (Menu->Settings), you will see your registration info. And, of course, all collections related stuff is unlocked from now.
Go to step 7

7. If you don't plan in the near future to install any non-amazon updates (AKA hacks), it is better to remove jailbreak from your device. Since until it's installed, you can't install any amazon software updates.
Plug in you kindle to PC and put file named "update_jailbreak_k?_uninstall.bin" to the root folder of your kindle storage. Now disconnect kindle from PC, press "Menu" button and select "Settings" menu item. Wait a second and press "Menu" button again, now select "Update Your Kindle" menu item (must be active), then select "Ok".
This update must be installed successfully.
Wait until device is completely reboot. That's it!

Notes:

a) "notepad" text editor in windows can't handle "reginfo.ini" file right (at least this applies to Windows XP and earlier) so please use WordPad, if you don't have it - please download and install one of free and more powerful text editors, like notepad++

b) reginfo_update will add only one file named "reginfo" to the file system of your device. If, for some reason you don't need this anymore - uninstallation is not needed, you can simply go to "Settings" page, and select "deregister" item.

c) If update_reginfo fails (step 5), please check your reginfo.ini file. Do not remove existing double quotes, and do not add any extra double qoutes - and everything will be fine. Then repeat step 5 with the fixed reginfo.ini

Updates:

a) 07 aug 2010 New version of jailbreak and update_reginfo packages. For firmware version up to 2.5.5. Please re-download all files!

P.S. If you have any problems with this guide, send me a PM.

P.P.S. Please don't ask me to send any of files directly to your email.

Last edited by Nifty; 08-08-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Nifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This should be a sticky
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX

Nifty. If I could jump through the computer to where you are to give you a huge hug I would. I did everything correct and I can now do collections etc but now my Mac wont acknowledge that the kindle is plugged in. Any suggestions???

I have disconnected and reconnected, restarted the computer etc but no joy. As that is the only way I can get the books to my Kindle I would appreciate any help you can give.

Natalie

******update**** I did a restart on the Kindle and it back to working again. Thanks again so much for you time in posting this and you have certainly bought a smile to my face.

Natalie

Last edited by nwinter; 06-21-2010 at 01:09 AM.
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
GreenThumb
GreenThumb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Worked like a charm! Thank you so very much!!
GreenThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Nifty little Trick. Thanks a lot for this. So very useful. Though I did manage with the USBnetwork method. It took the better part of the day for the same. I wish I had waited just one day more. Thanks a lot and Cheers
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Nifty
Enthusiast
Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
This should be a sticky
nice bike
Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Nifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
That's great, thanks you
You're welcome
Old 06-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
sheilalayoli
sheilalayoli began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader pRS 505, Amazon kindle DX
Thank you, it only takes me 5 minutes and now works perfectly¡
sheilalayoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
nice bike
Thank you the picture is a 916 while mine is the 998s
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Nifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
Nifty. If I could jump through the computer to where you are to give you a huge hug I would. I did everything correct and I can now do collections etc but now my Mac wont acknowledge that the kindle is plugged in. Any suggestions???
You scared me, I thought you broke your kindle
As for jumping, even through the computer, a jump from Australia to Moscow would be too long but thanks anyway
Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
Nifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
Worked like a charm! Thank you so very much!!
You're welcome
Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
Nifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvsinha View Post
Nifty little Trick. Thanks a lot for this. So very useful. Though I did manage with the USBnetwork method. It took the better part of the day for the same. I wish I had waited just one day more. Thanks a lot and Cheers
Extra knowledge is always good, so you do the right thing
Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Nifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilalayoli View Post
Thank you, it only takes me 5 minutes and now works perfectly¡
Wow, you're really fast
Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
Nifty
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Thank you the picture is a 916 while mine is the 998s
Cool! Hope, I'll get my VFR next year
Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
taomibaobao
taomibaobao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
I will try this tonight~

finger crossed~~!~