Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Boox PDF reflow problems

I read in a number of places here that the Boox did a great job of PDF reflow. I have 4 PDFs, and none of them reflow properly - am I just unlucky? Here's examples of 3 of them

Boox manual leaves the last letter of many lines alone on the next line
Click image for larger version

Name:	boox_medium.png
Views:	819
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	50717 Click image for larger version

Name:	boox_small.png
Views:	767
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	50718

DR800SG manual puts the underlines of a word on a different line

Name:	DR800_medium.png
Views:	820
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	50719 Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800_small.png
Views:	807
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	50720

The Lord of The Rings has multiple problems. There are extra spaces added to the titles on a page, and the first line of a page is always on the next page sometimes leaving a single word on a page. I tried to use "scroll pages" in the layout menu item, but this only works if the font size is small.

Name:	LOTR_page27_larger.png
Views:	748
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	50721 Click image for larger version

Name:	LOTR_page27_small.png
Views:	771
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	50722 Click image for larger version

Name:	LOTR_page28_larger.png
Views:	737
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	50723 Click image for larger version

Name:	LOTR_page28_small.png
Views:	743
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	50724

Last edited by Purple Lady; 04-28-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i have been reading Raygun Revival on various ereaders. It has been formatted as a two column and 3 column pdf.

All of the various readers do something different from each other when using reflow. Dropping letters, bits of dialogue mixed with the next column. Plus of course they all loose the justification to varying degrees.

Thats why its important to have very good zoom options. That is what you need for PDFs. That is what the Boox does well.

I find the landscape fit to width zoom of the DR800SG to be just zoomed enough to read comfortably. I can even remove my glasses and read comfortably. But if you want to read in portrait the zoom and pan is cumbersome. Its important to me as I really don't like having multiple columns on a page. I find it kind of distracting, i keeping looking ahead!

PocketBooks column zoom is fantastic. You select how many columns the pdf has and it zooms the column to fit the screen and cuts the page into segements. Then you page through the segments. Its very effective and makes for a good reading experience. on the progress bar is a little animated icon to show you which segment of the page you are reading.

Plus when it turns the full page it starts properly at the top of the next correct column!

Boox 60s zoom options are somewhat the same as the DR800 but much easier to tune and use. I have been choosing to zoom the pdf 200% then using the stylus to go through it in segments ala the PocketBook. Its quite a bit easier to do than on the Irex. I just grab the bottom of the line and drag it up. Then when i want to move to the next column i grab the upper right corner and drag it down to the left bottom. Its smooth and accurate.

But when you go to the next page you have to drag to the beginning yourself.

I have just recently purchased a new video camera and will be showing this in a comparison video very soon.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 04-28-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, none of these books have columns, so the zoom won't do me any good. My eyesight isn't very good, which is one of the reasons I got an e-reader - so I can increase the font size. I usually need to use the Large or Larger font sizes, and reflow isn't working well at all.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
you can zoom the boox display 125/150/175/200/300/400 percent to page or to height or to width with single column as well.

just set the font to small then choose zooming from the menu and try the different options. Im sure one will work for you and the best part is its persistent. So once you set it for that book you dont have to again it.

here is the DR800 manual using fit to width zooming in portrait and landscape
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	snapshot_17.png
Views:	763
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	50730   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot_18.png
Views:	749
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	50731  
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

With the DR800 manual, believe it or not, that's still a little too small. If I do this with the Boox manual, it's way too small for me to see. The base font for the DR800 must be larger than the boox is.

Name:	snapshot_17.png
Views:	722
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	50732
Advert