Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
patootie
patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: sony pocket reader
Post Newbie: Using Kobo Books with Sony Pocket Reader

Hello, all -

I am a soon-to-be proud owner of a Sony Pocket Reader, so of course, I'm already downloading books and creating my library (using Calibre as suggested in these forums)!

My question is about Kobo books. It looks like I need to use Adobe Digital Editions for those books to transfer them to the Sony. Do you use both Calibre and ADE with the Sony Pocket Reader to transfer books?

Also, with Borders selling the Kobo e-readers, does that mean I can download books from their site as well?

Thanks for any and all help!

Rebecca
patootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Rebecca

If you are buying ADE ebooks you would need to register your reader with Adobe via the Adobe reader software. You can also use Calibre to transfer the ADE ebook to transfer to your PRS-300 but you cannot convert the ADE ebook to another format without using third party tools to liberate the book from DRM.

You certainly can buy from Borders. I have purchased a few books, removed DRM and used Calibre to transfer to my PRS-300.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Before you go nuts buying ebooks pre-Reader ownership, you may also want to check if your local library lends ebooks. I see no reason to actually buy an ebook when I can red many current releases free thru the online library.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Tim G
Tim G began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Would you really need to remove the DRM from a Borders downloaded book? Is that just if you want to mess with the formats (as I know a lot of technically advanced users like to do)? I thought Borders/Kobo allow you to download in ePub format. So from that point you can load the file into Calibre, and then sync it to the PRS-300.
I use Windows Vista and if the file format is compatable to my PRS-300, I can also right click on the file and choose 'send to device' - without using Sony or Calibre.
Tim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
You don't need to remove the DRM on an ePub book from Borders/Kobo to use it on your Sony; they use regular ADEPT.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
You don't need to remove the DRM on an ePub book from Borders/Kobo to use it on your Sony; they use regular ADEPT.
Very true.

Barnes and Noble and I believe the iStore are the exceptions to the DRM ADE rule, using their own DRM.

I amongst others immediately remove DRM as a matter of habit now. I do not want to have to have such restrictions on my purchases.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
patootie
patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: sony pocket reader
Thanks for the useful (and fast) answers. I think I'll try a Borders free book first and see if that works for me. I

've already got a few library books downloaded, aside from a few hiccups with my Mac and ADE, that worked pretty well. The library I have access to has only mysteries and romance available in e-book format, and I like to read current fiction as well. Between Sony and Borders, I should have most newer releases covered.

Thanks!
patootie is offline   Reply With Quote