Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #46
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
For those of you who want to "keep" the books but "delete" them, you can go to Amazon's Media Library:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/ays/secure...w=_cat_agg_all

Login to your amazon account there and you will see a listing of all your ebooks purchased from Amazon (including downloaded freebies).

Select items (checkbox) and then select "move to trash." Move to trash is not a permanent deletion. It's just a large garbage can where you can "archive" items. THen when you are searching on your regular amazon kindle list you don't see these archived/trashed items. Yes, it is possible that someday Amazon could trash them, but it's been there for as long as I've been using it (couple of years now) and when you select trash it tells you can "untrash" them at any time.
Thanks ever so much for this. It seems to work for my amazon.co.uk account and will make pruning my hoard of never-to-be-read freebies much easier.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #47
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I only have about 1500 ebooks so far, but I'm pretty careful about adding what I will have a pretty good interest in reading. So for me, the answer would be no, and doubly so if they were paid for, even $.99 books. I keep all my books on my PC though and only load about 100 or so on my reader at a time now. . . .

Otherwise, depending on how long you live, you might run into the free time to actually read those titles and they may interest you again.
I have about 2600 ebooks in my TBR pile. I find I am constantly adding to the pile, even though I tell myself to stop.

Like Ripplinger, however, I keep the books on my PC and backed up to other media for security. I keep about 300 books on my Nook. After I have read and removed a few dozen of the books, I add some from the TBR pile.

It is unlikely that I will live long enough to read all of the books, but what I have learned is that I need to give every book a try because there is no telling in advance which is the gem among the trash. My experience has been that for every really well-written, captivating book in my TBR pile, there are a dozen that should be burned at the stake as insults to intelligence.

As for the books I have bought from B&N, my habit is to archive those I have read for at least a year and then review them to see whether I should permanently deltee them from the online storage (I will still have a local copy).

Something else I should note. I have also found that when I do read a book from the TBR pile and I discover that I really like the author's style, I go out and purchase other books by the author and read them immediately. This slows down my efforts to reduce the TBR pile.

So to answer Don's question, no, I won't be doing any wholesale pruning and I will keep buying ebooks and adding them to my TBR.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #48
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I have never come across an indie book of interest, so my library is quite easy to manage comprising only of books I know I'll read.
I admit there is a lot of junk in the indie world, but there are also a lot of indie books that are equal, if not superior, to what the traditional publishers are publishing. Among those indie authors are Tracy Falbe, LJ Sellers, Vicki Tyley, Shayne Parkinson, Rebecca Forster, Richard S. Tuttle, and Michael Hicks, to name just a few. And many of them make it easy to decide if you think they are worthy by offering at least one book for free.

I think you do yourself a disservice by not trying some of these indie authors, especially those who are recommended by fellow MobileReaders.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #49
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I add to books to my library when i mean to read then after finishing the current book. I have a TBR list on goodread, twhere i note books that might be intersting. But that TBR is about 10 books long.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #50
kwnewton
kwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle
Now that I have a Paperwhite (less internal storage) I use "Send to Amazon cloud reader" as the destination for anything I get cheap or free to read at some future date (including things I have read and want to be able to read again).

For freebies, indie and otherwise, if it looks interesting, I usually start reading reading in the cloud. It either grabs me within three or four pages or it doesn't. If it does, I download to keep reading. I think the traditionally published books are generally better edited and proofed than indie, but I find that no guarantee that the story will match my taste, although obviously it matched someone's. This is why Baskin-Robbins offers 31 flavors.
kwnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #51
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
I tend to cycle. I'll go a few months downloading a bunch of freebies (maybe 20-30) then I'll spend a few months wondering where my sanity went and clearing the majority of them out (maybe 3-5 survivors). All of this happens in Calibre. I never look at my store bookshelves after the initial download. The fact that all the stores equate "bookshelf" with "giant unsorted pile" keeps me from ever looking in them. In my imagination my kindle shelf is one of those houses from any of the hoarding shows, if I open the door it will all topple over and crush me. I'll just stay over in the tidy and organized Calibre reading room thanks.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #52
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
For those of you who want to "keep" the books but "delete" them, you can go to Amazon's Media Library:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/ays/secure...w=_cat_agg_all

Login to your amazon account there and you will see a listing of all your ebooks purchased from Amazon (including downloaded freebies).

Select items (checkbox) and then select "move to trash." Move to trash is not a permanent deletion. It's just a large garbage can where you can "archive" items. THen when you are searching on your regular amazon kindle list you don't see these archived/trashed items. Yes, it is possible that someday Amazon could trash them, but it's been there for as long as I've been using it (couple of years now) and when you select trash it tells you can "untrash" them at any time.

So you can basically store a bunch of the stuff you don't want to sort through all the time. I have a LOT of the books I've read in this bin. They aren't on my Kindle or in my list (the other list Amazon lets you use --the normal Kindle list).
This is awesome -- I had no idea I could do this! Thanks! I can continue to procrastinate dealing with those books.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #53
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
This is why I never buy free books until I know I want to read them.

Also:
I've always found it ridiculous to have thousands and thousands of free (or pirated) ebooks in Calibre. You can't read all that. Even at a rate of one book per day, it'll take you around 3 years to read 1000 books. What's the point of having 10K books? It'll take at least 30 years to read them, probably much longer.
For you. I can read 1000 books in a year if I decide to watch less tv etc. and have done. Only read about 800 last year as got sidetracked by freezone radio and ABC iview. My calibre library has over 10K books, I also have one for some comics and one for some RPG stuff.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #54
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
3 books / 1000 pages a day? I do not believe you, except if you prove to me that you're a speed reading God and can keep that up for hours and hours on end day after day. And even if you can you'd probably not have the time.

I've said it earlier in this forum to other people who claim to read 500-1000 books or even more a year. I don't believe it, don't intend to change that opinion and I'm not willing to discuss it.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-12-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #55
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
For you. I can read 1000 books in a year if I decide to watch less tv etc. and have done. Only read about 800 last year as got sidetracked by freezone radio and ABC iview. My calibre library has over 10K books, I also have one for some comics and one for some RPG stuff.
I hate you... I just noticed your sig... and clicked on Free SF Reader... bang goes another section of my life...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I don't believe it, don't intend to change that opinion and I'm not willing to discuss it.
Well that's convenient.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #57
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I hate you... I just noticed your sig... and clicked on Free SF Reader... bang goes another section of my life...
Don't look up Free SF Online then either.

http://www.freesfonline.de/
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #58
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Quote:
3 books / 1000 pages a day? I do not believe you, except if you prove to me that you're a speed reading God and can keep that up for hours and hours on end day after day. And even if you can you'd probably not have the time.

I've said it earlier in this forum to other people who claim to read 500-1000 books or even more a year. I don't believe it, don't intend to change that opinion and I'm not willing to discuss it.
Reading is a skill, therefore some people can do it several times faster. There are certainly people that can read faster than I can.

People can run 400m several times faster than me, for one. Do you disbelieve that? Or the fact there are people that can speak 12 more languages than you can?

My parents are both teachers. I was reading when I was 2. They read a lot, were good at it. So of course you can have genetic predisposition. Much like the child of a couple of professional athletes is likely to be good at stuff involving balls or running around.

So if you start early and practice a lot and teach yourself to read faster and comprehend more and do it a lot you can get better at it. Amazing concept, eh?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #59
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post

Thats really something! 1000 books in a year thats kind of mind blowing. To achieve that number reading a certain amount of books per day must be a daily goal.

On the original topic, I once also trapped by grab this eBook its free. Have stopped about a year ago after realizing that:

1) I forget why I grabbed the book in the first place
2 )Realizing that I really wont be able to read all these books and at the end of the day if I did not grab a book when it was free. If I am really interested in the book I will go buy it.

Life is simpler when I am not a eBook hoarder
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #60
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I think that just explains the quality of some of your reviews Blue Tyson (that I've read on amazon). "I've read War and Peace, it was about Russia." That kind of thing.

To answer the OP, yep I cull too. I regularly do that with physical books too.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote