Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
geordietastic
geordietastic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Touch Screen Sensitivity

Had a my new Kobo Touch for about a week now and everything is fine except for one thing.

Page turning works fine, but every so often it is unresponsive and i really have to apply more pressure to the screen to get it to respond. Either that or it will turn backwards instead of forwards.

It doesnt happen to often and the rest of the time everything works fine. Has anyone else had this, is it normal?
geordietastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
The touch screen is not, repeat not pressure sensitive. It is an IR touch screen, there's a little edge around the bezel that the IR comes from.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
geordietastic

Okay so any idea why sometimes it sometimes doesnt turn the page?

Im wondering if its a technical problem or perhaps the book im reading is corrupted in some way, is this possible?

Last edited by geordietastic; 07-25-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If you do a search, I believe you will find it happening to other people. It happens to me also, much too often.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
I've found that if there is a (strong) light source to the sides of the device response is diminished. It may be that, in some cases. In other cases there have been many posts about deader areas on the screen and the need to do double taps (which leads to other problems). Let's hope the next firmware release will help clean up these problems.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
geordietastic

Yeah tried searching but couldnt find anything similar, maybe i missed it.

So it looks as if maybe this is allmost normal and nothing to do with having a faulty device? This was my main concern, as its still new and i could get it easily replaced right now.

Thanks for the information everyone.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
It happens to me as well quite regularly. I usually do a swipe with my finger if a touch doesn't work the first time... most of the time that works to turn the page. Some people have mentioned an improvement in response with the new 2.0 firmware. I can't say either way as I am still on .17
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
geordietastic

ok awesome thank you, this answers my questions
Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Look at border around screen right next to screen and see notches for IR light sensors.
Can have crud blocking those IR sensor notches causing IR touch screen problems. When nothing else works to fix touch screen problems I hold KT reader with screen down above eye level and brush screen with clean stiff paint brush to clean crud out of those notches. With my old eyes use 2x magnifier attached to head I bought 40 years ago long before it was needed.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
That's a good idea, I'll try that on mine.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #11
geordietastic

ah thanks filmo thats good to know. Mine is almost a week old so it shouldn't be that but its good to know for the future.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
It is common, and I've gotten used to it, to the point where I don't think it's a big deal.
And if you want to try another search, people around here have been calling them "dead screen taps," among other things.

Just be aware that there are people out there that have said that they've never had this issue come up. If you feel inclined to, you may try a replacement and see where that gets you. But I don't know how good your chances are of getting one of those machines. I'm inclined to believe that those are rare.

Also something to think about: The Kobo (both Touch and non-touch) is affected by extreme temperatures. Too hot or too cold will slow down response time for all functions.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
Sgtpepper
Sgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Touch
Since getting the 2.0 update I sometimes get the problem where I need to tap twice to change the page. I found the best way to fix it is to power off and then power on again.
Sgtpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
allan175
allan175 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've found the bottom right corner gives me the best response, I can hold the Kobo in my left hand and my thumb turns the page very easily. It was a lot less responsive in the centre of the screen.
allan175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
geordietastic

I think ive gotten used to it as well, it doesnt happen all the time. My biggest concern was that there was a defect with the Kobo itself.

Looks like thats not the case though so im happy to continue on and perhaps another firmware update down the road will fix it, if not its not a big deal.