Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Juliepac
Juliepac began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, ipad, android phone
Unhappy Export notes and Highlights - Apps

Hi guys!

I have an ipad, an ipod touch and an android phone. I mostly read on my ipad, but sometimes, specially when in public crowded places, I read on the itouch or my phone.

Ive been looking for how to get all the notes and highlights syncronized, but apparently it is not possible, so Im kinda giving up on that for the moment being.

However, Im a student and so I need my notes and highlights on reports, papers, summaries etc. Is there a way in which I could get my notes and highlights exported? It can be on any app. Doesnt need to be free either.
I prefer converting my books to ebook formats like epub, pdb, mobi and so on, since I find reading in this type of formats more confortable.

Really grateful for the help!
Juliepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Juliepac

Really!? No clues!? :-(
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Well, different formats will lead to different solutions. I have mostly experience with annotating PDFs on my iPad. For that, the best solution I have found is an app called iAnnotate. On it, you can annotate (free-hand, highlight, bookmark and so forth) and embed annotations directly into the PDF for viewing on your PC.

It won't sync across multiple device, as far as I know, but it links to Dropbox - so you could annotate a document, upload it back to Dropbox with a simple click and then re-download the annotated file from Dropbox on your other devices - and then further modify it.

It's not free and I bought it a while ago, so I couldn't tell you how much it cost.

Another good option for PDFs is GoodReader. I prefer iAnnotate, it is a bit smoother, but both are good.

And the reason you probably got no replies is that this is not the forum on which you typically see these kind of questions. You might want to re-post under 'Which one should I buy?' - there are plenty of threads like this there - you might want to, by the way, take a look.

There is also an iPad forum...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
Juliepac

Thanks so much, Vxf. I'll post there.
I have iAnnotate, but thats not what im looking for!

Cheers!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepac View Post
Thanks so much, Vxf. I'll post there.
I've just moved this thread into the Apple Devices forum, and deleted the new duplicate thread.

Paul Durrant
MobileRead Moderation Team
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
Juliepac

Thanks! Hope people here can help me.

Just fyi, my ipad is jailbroken.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
If you are using iBooks, you can just email yourself all the notes/annotations in a book from the TOC/Bookmarks page, then use them elsewhere. Highlights, sadly, do not export.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepac View Post
Hi guys!

I have an ipad, an ipod touch and an android phone. I mostly read on my ipad, but sometimes, specially when in public crowded places, I read on the itouch or my phone.

Ive been looking for how to get all the notes and highlights syncronized, but apparently it is not possible, so Im kinda giving up on that for the moment being.

However, Im a student and so I need my notes and highlights on reports, papers, summaries etc. Is there a way in which I could get my notes and highlights exported? It can be on any app. Doesnt need to be free either.
I prefer converting my books to ebook formats like epub, pdb, mobi and so on, since I find reading in this type of formats more confortable.

Really grateful for the help!
Frustrating isn't it? A lot of my reading is research, study, etc. Sadly, I've looked at all the different apps etc and I haven't found a single app that will sync nicely between iPad, iPod Touch, and iMac. (I use lot's of side-loaded material.)

I've had limited success with Kindle manually moving the mbp file back and forth. Since you also have an android phone I know you'll have an even bigger "mix" and bigger issue.

Sorry, perhaps one day a developer will get this "vision" of study and note-taking...(Nook Study has a really nice note taking UI and it works good on the iMac but there is no "study" sister app for iPad, or other devices, etc. - just the regular Nook reader). Urrrgghhhh!

Last edited by 1611mac; 11-17-2011 at 03:38 PM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Juliepac

Thanks Kjk.

1611mac, thanks! I've been able to "extract" the annotations file from both isilo app and bluefire. Both files seen very promissor. Unfortunately, bluefire is crashing, freezing my ipad, 4.3.3, dont know why, so I couldnt test it better.
Im trying now isilo and Im not so happy with the reading there, but... If I can get my annotations out of thre, in a file that doesnt give me more trouble than writing, thatll be good! Ill let you know. Do you have any jailbroken idevice?

Cheers!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Well, different formats will lead to different solutions. I have mostly experience with annotating PDFs on my iPad. For that, the best solution I have found is an app called iAnnotate. On it, you can annotate (free-hand, highlight, bookmark and so forth) and embed annotations directly into the PDF for viewing on your PC.

It won't sync across multiple device, as far as I know, but it links to Dropbox - so you could annotate a document, upload it back to Dropbox with a simple click and then re-download the annotated file from Dropbox on your other devices - and then further modify it.

It's not free and I bought it a while ago, so I couldn't tell you how much it cost.

Another good option for PDFs is GoodReader. I prefer iAnnotate, it is a bit smoother, but both are good.

And the reason you probably got no replies is that this is not the forum on which you typically see these kind of questions. You might want to re-post under 'Which one should I buy?' - there are plenty of threads like this there - you might want to, by the way, take a look.

There is also an iPad forum...
In addition to this good advice, I'm also trying out PDF Expert which does what you need and also syncs via drop box.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Juliepac

Lightbulb GOT IT!

Hey guys! Thanks a lot for the help!
I'm really not confortable reading for a long time in the pdf. I really prefer epubs or pdbs. The reading is usually more confortable.
I was able to extract the highlights from ereader and from stanza. Not easy, but I could get a nice text on word with which I can work smoothly.

If anyone is interested, I made a tutorial to keep with me, but I can easily post it here. Can I do it?!

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
swartacus
swartacus began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I've had the same frustration!

Would you mind posting your tutorial? I know it would be really helpful!

Thanks!
swartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
Juliepac

The tutorial is really big, but once you learned how to do it and have what you need, you do it in 5 minutes.
There you go, hope it helps!

HOW TO IMPORT NOTES AND HIGHLIGHTS FROM EREADER (can work for stanza too) FOR APPLE DEVICES

YOU NEED A JAILBROKEN IDEVICE
YOU NEED A WAY TO ACCESS THE FOLDER IN YOU IDEVICE (I USE IFILES FROM CYDIA AND SSH/WINSCP - IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT, GOOGLE IT)

1. TAKE .DB FILE FROM EREADER FOLDER IN IPAD/ IPOD/ IPHONE (ITS IN VAR/MOBILE/APPLICATIONS/... (YOU HAVE TO FIND THE EXACT FOLDER)...
2. OPEN THE .DB FILE WITH SOME SQLITE MANAGER
3. USE A FORMULA TO SORT OUT THE DATA YOU WANT (NOTES OR HIGHLIGHTS)
3.1 FOLLOW THE EXAMPLE - (SELECT * FROM BOOKS, NOTES WHERE BOOK.ID = 4 AND NOTES.ID > 1061)
3.2 FORMULA DEPENDS ON YOUR DATA/TABLE. EXPLORE IT.
4. AFTER YOU SORTED OUT THE DATA YOU WANTED, EXPORT IT AS A CSV FILE
5. OPEN EXCEL
6. GO TO THE DATA TAB
7. IN TAB DATA, CHOOSE OBTAIN EXTERNAL DATA FROM TEXT
8. CHOOSE THE CSV FILE
9. CHOOSE THE CORRECT MARKER THAT SEPARATES THE COLUMNS, IN THE CASE HERE QUOTATION MARKS
10. CHOOSE UTF8 AS TEXT CODIFICATION
11. CHOOSE WHAT COLUMNS TO IGNORE (i IGNORE EVERYTHING EXCEPT TEXT)
12. SOMETIMES, THE IMPORTED TABLE IN EXCEL WILL HAVE MORE THAN ONE COLUMN. TO GET ALL COLUMNS IN A LINE INTO ONE CELL (OTHERWISE YOU MAY END UP WITH TABULATION SPACES WHEN YOU GET THE TEXT INTO WORD) APPLY THIS FORMULA TO THE FIRST EMPTY CELL IN THE LINE: =A1&B1&C1&D1 ETC.
12.1 FORMULA DEPENDS ON YOUR DATA
12.2 DRAG FORMULA TO THE OTHER LINES
13. ERASE THE BAD FORMATTED DATA AND KEEP JUST THE NICE ONE. NOW YOU HAVE A NICE EXCEL TABLE WITH ALL YOUR NOTES OR HIGHLIGHTS. SELECT THE DATA AND COPY IT
14. OPEN WORD
15. PASTE WHAT YOU COPIED FROM EXCEL INTO WORD. YOU WILL HAVE A TABLE IN WORD. THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANTED. I WANTED PLAIN TEXT I COULD MANAGE HOWEVER I LIKED.
16. SELECT AND COPY THE DATA YOU HAVE IN WORD
17. OPEN NOTEPAD
18. PASTE WHAT YOU COPIED FROM WORD INTO NOTEPAD. TA DA! NO TABLE ANYMORE.
19. SELECT EVERYTHING IN NOTEPAD AND COPY
20. GO BACK TO WORD AND PASTE THE NEW "UNTABLED", PLAIN TEXT INTO WORD.
21. THAT'S IT. NOW YOU CAN FREELY MODIFY IT. FORMAT THE WAY YOU WANT. TURN IT INTO A BEAUTIFUL SUMMARY ETC.
22. ;-)

Tags
export, highlights, notes, sync