Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #61
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'll paypal you a cup of starbuck's worth, if they can't be sideloaded. I'm that sure.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #62
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Personally after much consideration in regards to the no collections, the low battery life of only 8 hours, the inability to not expand on storage and the loss of the e-ink technology I decided to just get the Fire for my husband, who wants a tablet without being locked into a contract with a cellular company and the Touch for myself. In comparison to my k2 the touch would be the best upgrade fro me. I would have been willing to give up the e-ink and use my k2 when I needed to read in sunlight but there are too many cons to justify me wanting to give up my k2 for a Fire.

I know it was an assumption on my part but I assumed that Amazon would improve on the K4pc app and have the Fire running something similar or better, I didn't expect it to be of a lower standard than what the free app has. I would like to think that when the Fire went on sale or soon after it would have the collections functionality but since there is not guarantee, it is not worth the cost for me. It seems to me that like others have stated the Fire was made to be a wanna be ipad, and that is not something I am interested in. Maybe as I play with my husband's I may change my mind but I am sure I will be happiest with the Touch, after all I want my kindle for reading, not music, videos or apps.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I went the Nook Color running CM7 route. It was utter crap. The CM7 developers never got it to work correctly. For one thing it was a battery hog, a problem they couldn't get a handle on. The Fire is cheaper and most likely won't require jailbreaking to run Android apps.
I'm running CM 7.1 on Android 2.3.7 and loving it. Works great on my Nook Color; and the battery issue has been resolved.

The Fire will require rooting if you expect to run such apps as: Blockbuster, Dropbox, Google (their entire suite), Netflix, Nook, Overdrive, Pandora, Sony Reader, Zinio.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #64
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
One thing I've noticed about the fire is Amazon doesn't want you to think of it as an e-reader. They don't even show a picture of the reader app on the Fire's webpage. I don't know if it's because Jeff Bezos put down reading on a tablet so much that now he has to live up to that. It's very frustrating because many people read on their tablets just fine. I have it on pre-order. I'm looking forward to some of the early reviews.

I had a nook color, but returned it because of screen bleeding. I'm wondering if I should have just exchanged it for another one??

Nicole
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #65
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinev View Post
I had a nook color, but returned it because of screen bleeding. I'm wondering if I should have just exchanged it for another one??

Nicole
If you were happy with it you should have exchanged it at least once. I don't think you can compare the current NOOKcolor with the Fire. Barnes and Noble isn't offering access to audio and video content. But if Amazon content isn't an attraction, then perhaps the NOOKcolor is a better fit.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #66
wuat
wuat began at the beginning.

Device: none
It all depends on what you're looking for, the nook doesn't really have features outside of being a ebook reader, while the fire is a full fledged tablet.

Last edited by wuat; 10-16-2011 at 10:29 PM.
wuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #67
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuat View Post
It all depends on what you're looking for, the nook doesn't really have features outside of being a ebook reader, while the fire is a full fledged tablet.

That's true, but I had rooted. I think the fire looks like an awesome device and I think it will be superior to the nook color - I just hope they don't gloss over the Kindle reader app features. I want it to be better than the stock android app. I have a feeling they will continue to make improvements as they get some feedback (at least I hope so)!

Nicole
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #68
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
OK, I'm reviving a very old thread here, sorry about that.

But, of course, now that the Fire is here, the problem of not having collections is still there.

Are there any workarounds? Loading mantano might help, I guess, need to look into it.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #69
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I was wondering this as well. I do use my fire for reading, despite having a kindle e-ink reader, and I'd really like to have collections as well.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #70
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I was wondering this as well. I do use my fire for reading, despite having a kindle e-ink reader, and I'd really like to have collections as well.
I am in the same boat. Love the collections on eInk K. Sad they aren't there on the KF, but it's not a deal breaker.

Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #71
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
It's not a deal breaker for me either. I love my fire - still wish it had collections though!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #72
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
It's not a deal breaker for me either. I love my fire - still wish it had collections though!
I use Mantano on my Fire which has collections. Who knows maybe will get collections in the upcoming Christmas update.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #73
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Send feedback to Amazon from your Fire about the Collections. I just did. If enough people request it maybe they will add it.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Send feedback to Amazon from your Fire about the Collections. I just did. If enough people request it maybe they will add it.

Carol
I have swamped them with feedback every chance I get.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #75
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have swamped them with feedback every chance I get.
Hopefully a lot of our suggestions/requests will get added.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, fire