Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Rasterfarian, pdfread and pdflrf. A comparison

I've decided to write a comparison on the current rasterizing tools for the sony reader (with the emphasis on manga(image)-lrfs)

I've attached the original PDF and the converted files with the article:
http://hightech.afmag.net/pdf-raster...nd-pdflrf.html

For those who just want the conclusion: pdfread creates the smallest files, but the worst images. pdflrf gives much better images, but lacks contrast and creates the largest files (twice as big).
Rasterfarian has the most contrasty and best quality result, and the size is only % larger than pdfread.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
I've decided to write a comparison on the current rasterizing tools for the sony reader (with the emphasis on manga(image)-lrfs)

For those who just want the conclusion: pdfread creates the smallest files, but the worst images. pdflrf gives much better images, but lacks contrast and creates the largest files (twice as big).
Rasterfarian has the most contrasty and best quality result, and the size is only % larger than pdfread.
Interesting comparison. On my monitor, it looked as if pdflrf's text looked more clear than rasterfarian, although I do see the contrast somewhat toned down.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Interesting comparison. On my monitor, it looked as if pdflrf's text looked more clear than rasterfarian, although I do see the contrast somewhat toned down.
The result should be viewed on the reader of course, only then will you be able to see the files in all it's high-res glory. (as the dithering on a normal monitor is terrible, but actually looks good on the reader)
Old 09-05-2007, 11:28 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I tested pdflrf n the original using a erode setting of 3 and it did make the it darker. So play with the erode setting and see what you get.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
On my Reader pdflrf beats Rasterfarian by a good margin. pdfread came in third (although the smallest of the three files.) Since space is not a problem the larger files from pdflrf are easily loaded. Load speed after selecting from the menu was faster for pdflrf than the the other two as were page turns.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 02:00 AM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
On my Reader pdflrf beats Rasterfarian by a good margin.
in what terms? size, speed, design or quality? and what kind of files, textbased or image? quite important to give more details if you ask me...

also, as cacapee said in the rasterfarian thread, pdflrf has no sharpening, the resulting image should be lesser quality than rasterfarian in theory for images. There is simply less image optimizing.

Last edited by athlonkmf; 09-06-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:03 AM   #7
cacapee
Connoisseur
cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.

Device: prs-500
Ahem, I'm using cubic interpolation and left off sharpening on purpose (by mistake it turns out).
cacapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 AM   #8
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacapee View Post
Ahem, I'm using cubic interpolation and left off sharpening on purpose (by mistake it turns out).
ah sorry, didn't saw the bicubic one. i've edited the previous post
Old 09-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Use default settings, PDFlrf produces much better quality files than the other two in my reader. I use scanned PDF files for testing.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 AM   #10
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Even though I've only tried 2 pdf files on both RasterFarian and pdflrf, the fact that the latter does a *much* better job of cropping and resizing the text to fit on my Reader beats any other consideration, including file size. That said, except for the cropping and text size issues, I wouldn't say I noticed any noticeable difference in contrast when comparing the converted files.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #11
jaffer1979
Enthusiast
jaffer1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: SonyPrs-500/Palm T|X
Well I used to love rasterfarian when I had it :-( can't get it now. However pdflrf will be awesome when it handles my pdfs correctly. Cacapee said he fixed the bug for the next release so I can't wait for it to come out!!
jaffer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
We'd love for it to be available here again, but it would have to be re-worked to not include ... "borrowed-without-permission" commercial code. That's not looking real likely, I regret to say.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:03 AM   #13
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
We'd love for it to be available here again, but it would have to be re-worked to not include ... "borrowed-without-permission" commercial code. That's not looking real likely, I regret to say.
completing the circle https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13678
Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
And as I said, we love it!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #15
Staz
Staz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post

The links on your website are down. Do you still have them somewhere?

Cheers!
Staz is offline   Reply With Quote