Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
converting htm to epub to mobi - lots of split words

I wanted a PC game guide from the web onto my kindle - a basic text walkthrough for metro2033.

so I save the web page as htm, import it to calibre then convert calibre zip to epub & to mobi.

but on the Kindle I see lots of split words at end of lines & cannot understand why words have not been reflowed. NB I see the same with calibre viewers if I narrow the viewer window

e.g.the word hand at a line end may appear as h
and

is there a better/ different route to getting a cleaner epub/mobi version with no split words, or is the issue due to a poor quality html source ?

(the source text that I want is here
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/935068-metro-2033/faqs/59869 )

update - it seems that adding the step of opening the htm in word, saving it as txt, ( with LF only, not LF +CR ) then adding txt file to calibre & converting that to mobi is more effective, but I don't get WHY that makes things better

Last edited by cybmole; 12-14-2010 at 11:16 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I suspect the cause of the problem was the <pre>...</pre> tag used on the web page to retain the shape of the text on the web page. Saving as text removed that. I don't think the "end of line" character made any difference.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert