Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 11-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #181
Silvayn
Silvayn began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, Sony Reader 505
Angry Trouble with TOC

Although this is only my 3rd conversion, I was following the tutorial posted on 1st page. The first 2 conversions worked fine, but I simply can't figure out what's wrong with my last attempt. I can't get the TOC to work properly - usually (in reader and also in eBook Library) only some titles get "hotlinked" and it seems that only the first letter is linked. Could someone have a look? It's driving me crazy.

It's a collection of journal articles w/ pictures.

.html0 file in attachment.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: rar OBGYN Contemporary_Nov 1 2007.rar (965.0 KB, 389 views)
Silvayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:21 AM   #182
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have not looked at your example, I am not that good to find a problem anyway, but I might venture to suggest you to do the following:
Go to: Makes eBooks -> Sony Reader -> options
On the right hand side of the options window there is a column named: misc
in the column you have to make sure that option "toc" is ticked (most likely it is) and in a drop-down menu next to the option "toc" you have to choose FULL (you probably have "short").
Hope it helps.
A.

Last edited by astra; 11-12-2007 at 05:24 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 AM   #183
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
So I create my masterpiece. Before converting it over, I save the file using the save as command in BD. I close everything up. Later on tho, I decide to change this or that and pull up my saved copy. What a mess! The picture is gone, the title is usually screwed up, my CAPITAL LETTERS text are now back to titles, and the entire text comes out as one big paragraph!
The only workaround I have found is to use Word to back it up. Copy and Paste the picture, then ALL of the text. Save this file. When I want to restore it, I open a blank copy of BD, type one letter then paste the whole word file back into BD. Still needs some work, but WAY better than anything else I have found.
Am I saving it wrong or something? What I am really looking for is to get the file back in JUST AS I HAD LEFT IT! No way, no how so far. Using Vista...
I am using Windows XP Pro and I can same the HTML0 file and load it back in without a problem. Are you saving the HTML0 file before you close Book Designer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #184
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Quote:
After doing about 25 E-Book conversions to the SONY Reader lrf format, I have found that there are some REALLY BAD conversions out there! Here are things that I expect in a decent conversion:
1. The title should be the last name, first name dash and then the title.
2. Example: Verne, Jules – From the Earth to the Moon.lrf
3. Try to find the BEST copy of the book for conversion. A really good LIT or PDF file can make the conversion happen in less than 10 minutes. A really bad copy can take 4-5 hours.
4. All empty paragraphs (blank lines) that are not needed may be removed (my personal preference is not to have them there). This is easily done in BD by the element browser under blank paragraphs ( group delete). Nice to have a blank line under titles tho.
5. The table of contents should WORK in the finished book. There should also be no erroneous titles due to something being in all caps. Those “bonus” titles should be selected at then Alt-P to make them into a paragraph. The same with sub title. Element tab is your friend! Use it!
6. Italics should be done as there are in the book! BD sometimes will convert the italics into regular print. The worse case is to have to pull up the original copy of the book and FIND the italics and convert them over in the BD file. Can be very time consuming but once it’s done, it’s done!
7. Authors usually include a space between scenes in the book. These should be included in the book! BD can end up removing them. Sometimes Capital letters give them away. Otherwise, you again need to go to the original text and see if you can find them. The edit-find/replace can get you there pretty quickly. Elements show broken sentences which can also point them out.
8. There can be a LOT of garbage at the beginning of the book. Either delete it or put it at the end of the book. I don’t think the entire Gutenberg spiel needs to be in the front.
9. The absolutely hardest part of finishing a book is when there is spelling and grammatical errors in the book. Copying the text to MS Word and doing a spell check can be the easiest way to eliminate most of the obvious ones, but BD can really put in some zingers. The only true way is to proof read the entire book. The absolute WORST part of finishing a book. A GOOD copy of a .lit file or PDF file will eliminate almost all of these errors.
10. Pictures are optional! Only there for a second. If it works, then fine, otherwise don’t sweat it. Plenty of info on the web if you are thinking of reading the book.
11. The last step is page through the book in the SONY e-book library. Look at the table of contents. Page through the book to see if there are any obvoius errors. Fix them up and try again.
When all done, your book will be worthy of publication and a source of pride. My biggest concerns: How well will the SONY reader sell? Will it ever have a .lit option? and how do I get my masterpieces into others hands? (like with AndyAfro’s torrent for example).
Totally my two cents worth! I just hate to struggle through a slap dash conversion on such a terrific reader. I simply cannot read the small print in a paperback or hold a hard cover book any more.
My question is - what do you use for your conversion - BD? I need help. My understanding is that BD is to convert books from HTML. How do I get pdf files to HTML? Do I use a converter to do that and then convert again using BD. I fear a big mess.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #185
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BD can covert to LRF from many different file formats.
HTML, TXT, RTF, DOC, LIT, FB2....pdf as well but it looses all formating such as italics.
If you want to conver PDF to LRF via BD you have got to open in Adobe Pro save it as HTML v4, then load html to BD.
Or use some pdf to HTML/RTF converter, but from my experience they are worse than Adobe Pro., which is far from perfect as well....
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #186
Linda
Enthusiast

Thank you. What version of Adobe should be used?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #187
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
Thank you. What version of Adobe should be used?
First of all, I would like to emphasize that it should be Adobe Acrobat Professional.
The latest version is 8. You can use 7 as well.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #188
Linda
Enthusiast

I just checked out the prices for Adobe Professional - to much. Any other suggestions? I have been reading about pdflrf - but it seems as if it would be be very difficult for me to do - very technical. Have you tried it?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #189
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
After doing about 25 E-Book conversions to the SONY Reader lrf format, I have found that there are some REALLY BAD conversions out there! Here are things that I expect in a decent conversion:
1. The title should be the last name, first name dash and then the title. Example: Verne, Jules – From the Earth to the Moon.lrf
I agree with most of your points, John, but I'm afraid I strongly disagree with this one. The Reader allows one to list books either by title or by author. It completely defeats the "List by Title" operation if one includes the author's name in the title.

Author and title are separate items of "metadata" in the file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #190
astra
The Introvert

Yes, I tried it. Actually, from a tech point of view it is even easier. I tried it using all defaults and it works very well. the only problem is that I don't like the output file...it is like a collections of pics of individuals pages. Cannot change font size and a few other isses. As a last resort maybe, otherwise I don't like it. But the program is superb.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #191
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I actually find that pdftohtml does a better job than acrobat.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #192
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I actually find that pdftohtml does a better job than acrobat.
I have not tried it. But it is free, so it definitely worth to try out.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #193
JohnP
Enthusiast
JohnP began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs505
The SONY book reader pulls name and title from book..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with most of your points, John, but I'm afraid I strongly disagree with this one. The Reader allows one to list books either by title or by author. It completely defeats the "List by Title" operation if one includes the author's name in the title.

Author and title are separate items of "metadata" in the file.
The titles and authors are set up INSIDE the book. Reader could give a hoot about what you call the file. You can name it razzametaz.lrf and "From the Earth to the Moon" will still be the Title. Now BD DOES try to name the book for you when you select the convert but you can change that name to anything you want.
LOT easier to organize books if they are set up the same way. Now I have Fiction books A-Z set up by Author with folders for HTM, PDF, LIT, LRF, DOC, RTF, and TXT. Searches also will work fine for the title or the author.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 AM   #194
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The titles and authors are set up INSIDE the book. Reader could give a hoot about what you call the file. You can name it razzametaz.lrf and "From the Earth to the Moon" will still be the Title.
Yes, that's very true, but you said:

Quote:
1. The title should be the last name, first name dash and then the title. Example: Verne, Jules – From the Earth to the Moon.lrf
If you actually meant that the FILE NAME should include both the author's name and the book title, then I have some sympathy with your suggestion. The file name is not, however, the title, as you point out yourself.

Personally I just name my files to be the book's title, and I store them on my hard disk in a directory structure which reflects the author. I have one folder per book, and store all the files (the original source file, the BD "LastFile" folder, and the converted files) in that folder.

Eg, in this case I'd have a folder "Verne, Jules". Within that I have a folder for each of Verne's books - "From the Earth to the Moon" in this case, and then within that folder I have all the files for that book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #195
astra
The Introvert

I always add author's name to file name of a book that I either create myself or download here. Just like that
Quote:
Verne, Jules – From the Earth to the Moon.lrf
I simple cannot stand having files on my PC without author's name.