Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Website for finding great public domain/self-published books

I've set up a little site for those of us who are rebelling against the high prices MacMillian and Big Publishing are foisting upon us. I wouldn't want us to run out of stuff to read just because *they* seem disinclined to supply it! I will be listing both free/public domain stuff (that still has appeal, imho, for modern readers) and also purchaseable content so long as it costs $10 or less and is free of DRM or other restrictions.

I am a bit of a speed reader so I anticipate being able to add to this page substantially. What is up right now is just a first pass

What do you think?

Link
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Nice site, ficbot. I took note of an interesting series to try..

Quote:
Doan and Carstairs Series by Norbert Davis

* A hilarious trio of detective stories featuring a wry sleuth and his pony-sized dog.
Thank you.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Thanks, I'll be keeping an eye on your site.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I've set up a little site for those of us who are rebelling against the high prices MacMillian and Big Publishing are foisting upon us. I wouldn't want us to run out of stuff to read just because *they* seem disinclined to supply it! I will be listing both free/public domain stuff (that still has appeal, imho, for modern readers) and also purchaseable content so long as it costs $10 or less and is free of DRM or other restrictions.

I am a bit of a speed reader so I anticipate being able to add to this page substantially. What is up right now is just a first pass

What do you think?

Link
Just as an FYI some of the works on Smashwords.com have a restrictive 'don't share' policy at the beginning. I believe some are more official than others. I don't know if this changes your criteria for inclusion, but I know it changes my criteria for whether I read a book or not (not in the cases of such outright stupid policies) regardless of price.

Quote:
This e-book is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This e-book may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each person you share it with. If you’re reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then you should purchase your own copy at www.smashwords.com Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.
Quote:
Smashwords Edition, License Notes

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each person you share it with. If you’re reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then you should return to Smashwords.com and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:40 AM   #5
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Great, ficbot, and thanks! I'd be very pleased to have my site added to your "Creative Commons" category. I'll link to your site on my blog. And if there are any other authors out there offering their work directly, please let me know and we can swap links.

Last edited by Richard Herley; 02-01-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, guys! If you keep an eye on my blog I will post updates (and more detailed reviews of the books I read) there.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Below is a link to a list of some DRM free sellers....

http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/1...ee-publishers/
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Interesting, but I think it would be a ton of work to keep updated. Thus the search engines for finding free/cheap books.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Just as an FYI some of the works on Smashwords.com have a restrictive 'don't share' policy at the beginning. I believe some are more official than others. I don't know if this changes your criteria for inclusion, but I know it changes my criteria for whether I read a book or not (not in the cases of such outright stupid policies) regardless of price.
So long as they have no DRM and just a note asking you to not share the book I see no problem. Whether the author chooses to sell their book or give it away doesn't remove their right to say where it's distributed from.

I like the idea of the site, hopefully you'll add links to the author's websites too for those who provide a direct purchase option.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
So long as they have no DRM and just a note asking you to not share the book I see no problem. Whether the author chooses to sell their book or give it away doesn't remove their right to say where it's distributed from.

I like the idea of the site, hopefully you'll add links to the author's websites too for those who provide a direct purchase option.

Of course, and it's a personal thing with me, that's why I prefaced it with an FYI. I find the terms of such 'don't share' agreements insulting and presumptuous, also ludicrous as they're unenforceable.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
ficbot
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Below is a link to a list of some DRM free sellers....

http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/1...ee-publishers/
Thanks, I have linked it.

I have also updated the welcome page to provide a bit more information about my goal for the site. I am not planning to link to every free book out there. Rather, it will be a personal list of books I have read and can vouch for---an attempt to help people winnow through the massive pile of slush out there with some tried and true (at least by me, for whatever that is worth) recommendations.

If anyone else sets up a similar site with their own recommendations, I am more than happy to link to it. I would love for the publishers to realize that if they don't start catering to readers a little bit more, they will lose them (and their money) to alternate channels.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
ficbot
Wizard

I have done a major update on the website! I now have a section for non-English books, and a new activism page where I am listing any reader initiatives to affect change.