Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Why would they release an "upgraded" version and take away basic kindle functionality.
The Fire is not an upgraded Kindle. It's a different product. I am surprised there isn't some way to do collections, but I've never used Kindle for Android. I think we can expect software/interface changes. Maybe it will be addressed.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #17
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's simply that the Kindle for Android app (which the Fire uses) is a little behind the iOS and PC versions at present. I'm sure they'll add collections to it soon.
iOS doesn't have them either, unless I've missed something?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
iOS doesn't have them either, unless I've missed something?
I thought it did, but looking at the Kindle App on my iPhone, I see no obvious way to add them, so perhaps it doesn't!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I don't use Collections since I rarely have more than ten books loaded at any one time. However, if the Kindle for Android app, which was meant for phones, is the ereader on the Fire, that is a deal breaker.

The Kindle for Android offers no choice of line spacing, margins or font face and the defaults stink. The only options are; 5 font sizes, background color (white, black or sepia) and brightness.

Now, if Amazon got buggins to add mobi DRM to Cool Reader (keeping epub), then you would have something. Fat chance!

Regards - John

I was expecting a modified Kindle for Android app on the Fire, with much more features as you mentioned. The NOOKcolor's stock reader app is not as good as their Android app, but it has more formatting options than the Kindle app. I haven't seen any videos of the Fire's reading app. If it is just the Kindle app, then it's a major disappointment. I use the app on my tablet, and although the home screen and in-app store front is very nice, the reading features have not been improved. Margin options are long over due. The amount of white space around text is ridiculous on a large screen tablet.

Last edited by SCION; 10-07-2011 at 11:55 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't know if Amazon will use the standard Kindle for Android app. I thought I saw a picture of the Fire on Amazon's web that looks like the Fire is running an app similar to it. But their web page for the Fire is rather dynamic and fluid. Today I see the attached picture. I enlarged it to see if I could better see it, but it is kind of fuzzy. However it definitely looks different from anything I've seen in any Kindle app. So maybe they will have a better app!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kfire-reader.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	77438  
Old 10-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #21
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
The Kindle app for the HP Touchpad supports collections also.

Last edited by Hoyt Clagwell; 10-08-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
The Kindle app for the HP Touchpad supports collections also.

Those look like Amazon designed author sort categories. Are you actually able to create your own collections and name them, or is the app merely sorting by author? I hope you can create your own as that will give the rest of us hope.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #23
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
The Kindle for PC supports collections that you can create. But there doesn't seem to be a collections manager on the Kindle Cloud Reader for Chrome. At least as yet.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
The Kindle for PC supports collections that you can create. But there doesn't seem to be a collections manager on the Kindle Cloud Reader for Chrome. At least as yet.
Oh wow he newer K4PC does have Collections. I was still running the old 1.2 version on my desktop for deDRM purposes. I installed the 1.8 version on my netbook just to test it out and it does have collections and the ability to import Collections. I hope they add that to the Android version.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #25
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
The Kindle Fire is set up to pull content from the cloud, not to hold content. With only 8G of storage, I will have a few songs, a movie or two, and 5-10 books. Everything else will be in the cloud, including my 700 Amazon archives, and my 100 Personal Docs. As a matter of fact, I think I will just have the couple of books I am reading at any particular time on the Fire.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
The Kindle Fire is set up to pull content from the cloud, not to hold content. With only 8G of storage, I will have a few songs, a movie or two, and 5-10 books. Everything else will be in the cloud, including my 700 Amazon archives, and my 100 Personal Docs. As a matter of fact, I think I will just have the couple of books I am reading at any particular time on the Fire.
Amazon is marketing the device as one that is meant to hold content also:
Quote:
On-device Storage 8GB internal. That's enough for 80 apps, plus 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #27
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Amazon is marketing the device as one that is meant to hold content also:
Well, since I have 14G of songs, I wasn't seeing it. But you are correct - for others, it would be capable of holding something. And I forgot about the apps - I have quite a few apps.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #28
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Those look like Amazon designed author sort categories. Are you actually able to create your own collections and name them, or is the app merely sorting by author? I hope you can create your own as that will give the rest of us hope.
You can name your collections any thing you like. You just click on the +button and a box comes up and you type in the name of collection.

To add a book to a collection you just have to tap on the book for a few seconds and another screen comes up with all your collections. Tap on the collection name for a few seconds and a green check mark will be placed by the collection name.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #29
SCION
Séduisant

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
You can name your collections any thing you like. You just click on the +button and a box comes up and you type in the name of collection...
There's a good chance the Fire will allow the same. Thanks. Are you able to change margins and line spacing with the Touchpad app?

Edit: I just Googled and found out 2 page landscape view is an option. Wow. Hmmm....what's up with the other Kindle apps?

Last edited by SCION; 10-09-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #30
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict

I do not see the options to change margins. You do have the option to import collections from your other Kindles or Kindle for PC and I would assume Kindle for Mac. This only seems to work with books bought from Amazon however. It also only works with collections that were hand made it does not seem to work with collections made using the Collections Manager plugin in Calibre. I guess that makes sense because the Kindle app does not support sideloading books natively. I had to use the Preware Kindle Importer App.

Last edited by Hoyt Clagwell; 10-09-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Tags
collections, fire