Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Angry Kindle Fire Does not have Collections Functionality

I just finished chatting with one of the Amazon CS representatives who informed me that the Kindle Fire does not have Collections functionality. To say I am pissed is an understatement. Why would they release an "upgraded" version and take away basic kindle functionality. Guess who is canceling their fire pre-order? I am not paying $200 for something that cannot do what my kindle2 can do!
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I understand your being upset that it does not do what you want it to do, but I do not understand your being upset that it is not just like the Kindle. Its not a Kindle its a tablet. Do other tablets support "collections"?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
They did name it Kindle Fire though...
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
They did name it Kindle Fire though...
True. I guess I just don't see it as an e-reader so I don't expect it to do e-reader like things unless running an app. Which leads me to wonder....Is the e-reader functionality going to be just that, a preloaded app?

If not, if its going to be like the Nook Color does that mean that instead of collections you have bookshelves?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I understand your being upset that it does not do what you want it to do, but I do not understand your being upset that it is not just like the Kindle. Its not a Kindle its a tablet. Do other tablets support "collections"?
This.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

The Kindle for Android and Kindle for iOS Apps don't support Collections. Looking at the images on the Amazon website for the Fire it looks like it is running the Kindle for Android app. Collections would be nice, but I can live without them.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The Kindle for Android and Kindle for iOS Apps don't support Collections. Looking at the images on the Amazon website for the Fire it looks like it is running the Kindle for Android app. Collections would be nice, but I can live without them.
I don't use Collections since I rarely have more than ten books loaded at any one time. However, if the Kindle for Android app, which was meant for phones, is the ereader on the Fire, that is a deal breaker.

The Kindle for Android offers no choice of line spacing, margins or font face and the defaults stink. The only options are; 5 font sizes, background color (white, black or sepia) and brightness.

Now, if Amazon got buggins to add mobi DRM to Cool Reader (keeping epub), then you would have something. Fat chance!

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't plan on using the Kindle app on the Fire. I will use Mantano or Cool Reader. I really like them but I was to hoping for a new Kindle reader on the Fire but the Andriod app is much to be desired but Mantano or Cool Reader does a wonderful job on epubs.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
I honestly wouldn't be upset about CS saying something right now. From what I've seen, CS doesn't seem to know much about the Fire, and have actually answered questions with information contrary to officially released information.
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #10
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
iBooks on the iPad support collections. They make it pretty easy to create too.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
One reason that I don't like using Kindle on the iPad is that finding things is a chore - there's just a big long list, sorted by author. Often, authors appear both ways round, even within one book series, so you have listings split across Forename Surname and Surname Forename.

Hopefully, they will improve the experience with a software update.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
iBooks on the iPad support collections. They make it pretty easy to create too.
Ah. Thank you. I had iBooks on my phone but never used it so I removed it.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
One reason that I don't like using Kindle on the iPad is that finding things is a chore - there's just a big long list, sorted by author. Often, authors appear both ways round, even within one book series, so you have listings split across Forename Surname and Surname Forename.

Hopefully, they will improve the experience with a software update.
We can hope and with the Fire release, it could be real.

I've been recently impressed with the improvements in the B&N Android app.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's simply that the Kindle for Android app (which the Fire uses) is a little behind the iOS and PC versions at present. I'm sure they'll add collections to it soon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's simply that the Kindle for Android app (which the Fire uses) is a little behind the iOS and PC versions at present. I'm sure they'll add collections to it soon.
I think they will. Amazon does listen to us as evidenced by some of the features they added or changed with the K4 line. Android definitely supports folders, and many of the 3rd party Android reader apps allow you to place your books into whatever folder(s) you like. A built in Collections feature would be better, but folders would work too.

Personally, I will do most of my reading on my E Ink Kindle. Collections are VERY important for my E Ink Kindle as that is where I plan to keep my library of eBooks. I will only load a few books at a time on the Fire--the ones I'm currently reading. I'm sure the lack of Collections for those who want to load hundreds of books on to their Fire will be a major issue though.

Tags
collections, fire