Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Kinda Quiet Here this Week ...

Wow ... traffic's diminished this week here in Kobo-land. Did something else occur in the industry this week?

(grin)

I am pleased to report that the Kobo is STILL smaller and lighter than the Kindle3. I could have sworn that the K3 was physically smaller ... but it must be its grey case that is deceiving me, because the K3 will NOT fit in our DVD case cases - it is too long!

And the K3 is also an ounce heavrier than our Kobos!

Long live Kobo!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
flexnib
flexnib began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-T2, PRS 950, PRS 350
I reckon we're all busy reading on our Kobos - I know I am!
flexnib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I was thinking the same thing recently. I guess most people have got used to their devices, sorted out problems and got down to reading. I'm just waiting for the next firmware to address the critical problems.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexnib View Post
Absolutely!

Plenty of books to read.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
V1.4 really worked out the major pain points big time. Everything else has pretty much been talked (threaded?) out by now.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yup -- it's a tribute to the efforts of the Kobo Team that they really nailed the most frustrating problems. It's remarkable that a simple thing like changing how the light works to indicate charging / charged significantly improves the user experience.

I have a Kindle 2 (Kindle 3 arrives tomorrow) and there are all kinds of good reasons why I prefer the Kindle and Amazon.

So why is it that I am spending at least half my time reading on my Kobo? And, more importantly to Kobo, buying as many ebooks at Kobobooks as Amazon? In my case it's because there are titles not available at Amazon OR the Kobo discounts provide an edge; this is particularly welcome now that Amazon has removed many of the $2 Whispernet tax charges for Canada.

An example of something I could have bought at Amazon or Kobo? Two books by Georges Simenon: at Amazon was US$9.99, at Kobobooks Can$8.79 less $2 discount + taxes ... Can$7.67 ... about a 25% savings. (Note: Amazon lowered the Simenon to US$9.60 this weekend, matching its cheapest paper edition. In Canada, the paper is $16.00.)
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

SP, Do you have a device that makes the reading experience better? I think that I would end up having a favourite just for readability and would then not use the others.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 AM   #8
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexnib View Post
Funny you should say that. I'm just basically happy with the thing. I use it for probably 1-3 hours a day, picking it up or pulling it out of my pack the way I would a paperback. This is such an ingrained habit that I don't really think about it much. It's just reading.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Only had mine a couple of weeks and I love it. I keep it in a dandy leather case thing, so it's a bit trickier to get out of my bag than a paperback, but I'm smashing through books and having a ball. I'm also using the internet a lot less, which probably addresses the topic.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
Wow ... traffic's diminished this week here in Kobo-land. Did something else occur in the industry this week?

(grin)

I am pleased to report that the Kobo is STILL smaller and lighter than the Kindle3. I could have sworn that the K3 was physically smaller ... but it must be its grey case that is deceiving me, because the K3 will NOT fit in our DVD case cases - it is too long!

And the K3 is also an ounce heavrier than our Kobos!

Long live Kobo!
I'd be really interested to know of your thoughts and comparisons of the Kobo v Kindle. Do you have a preference which one you'd rather read with?

Back on topic, the whole forum seems a little quiet (except the Kindle pages). I think Sony users are frustrated with lack of info on new products, Pocketbook are awaiting their new 901, JB is always quiet, Astak has dropped by the wayside BIG time. Either nothing is going on or everyone is more than happy with what they have and are happily reading.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
For a lot of people this is peak holiday time so maybe they're out in the blue room enjoying quality time with family/friends. A lot of my other online forums are also quiet. I'm sure things will pick up again after Labour Day.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
SP, Do you have a device that makes the reading experience better? I think that I would end up having a favourite just for readability and would then not use the others.
"Reading experience" for me isn't just my eyes following the words on the page ... it's getting there, too. Kobo's bookstore, although pretty basic, is also very easy to use and browse. There are lots of categories and sub-categories; the layout is easy to scroll through and visual; and while I miss the user reviews from Amazon and recommendation engine, I don't waste any time when I am looking for something specific. When I do select something, the purchase flow is dead simple and seconds later the title is in my library ready to be transferred to my Kobo.

Then there is the on device time. Kobo could handle the "Library / I'm Reading" better. I don't remember all the books I've been intending to put on the device (or already have); once they "disappear" into the library they are hard to stumble across. Kindle's page-by-page list is inelegant but it works well enough. I'm not someone intending to store 500 books on the device -- 100 is plenty -- so a list I can easily scroll through in the order put on the device or last read is helpful.

Finally, reading. I prefer the Kindle font, I prefer the justification and no paragraph spaces on most Kindle formatted books; Kobo seems to favour para linespaces, no indents and ragged right; Kobo's font Times font is less attractive and I often can't find a size between "medium" and "small" that suits me.

Yet with these, mostly niggling cavaets, Kobo is a pleasure to hold, the text is legible indoors and out, it works exactly the way I expect it to and there is content on it that I can't find (or is more expensive on) the Kindle -- certain Canadian titles, library books, etc. It was an easier sale when the devices were $149 in-store vs $259+shipping -- Kobo, simpler to use was also simply cheaper; now, not so much. But if the Kobo were $99 in-store vs $139/$189+shipping, the economics return and the current advantages -- like library access and access to the world of ePub -- come back into play.

To tell the truth, at $99 + $139, for the avid reader having one of each isn't out of the question. Like-for-like, e-books in Canada run $5 to $10 cheaper than available pbook editions so covering the cost of a $99 device can be done with the purchase of 15 or so ebooks. The Kobo pays for itself in less than a year (I've bought 14 titles so far since May 1).

So, all of those factors -- plus customer support (and both Kobo and Kindle are strong in this department) -- are part of the reading experience. I hope it's clear now why I am happy to continue with both, and the actual content is driving which device I pick up to read at any given moment.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Kobo v Kindle. Do you have a preference which one you'd rather read with?

If I can pry myself away from the connectivity features of the Kindle3 ... (grin)

The type/fonts on the K3's screen are definitely "crisper" and blacker than on the Kobo. I am enjoying using my left hand to "turn" pages on the K3.

I find the medium-grey-on-a-dark-grey background labeling on the keys is really annoying and illegible ... yet "younger" owners say it's no problem.

The dark frame on the K3 does, indeed, seem to "improve" contrast. But I have a GelaSkin on my Kobo ...

Another silly point: Because the Kobo fits into my DVD case, and I like the "sleekness" and protection that the DVD case offers, that really weighs in favor of the Kobo if you were to ask me which one I would walk out of the house with.

Oh, yeah - The Kobo is an ounce lighter and smaller in size than the K3.

I am still excited with the Kobo. I get more READING accomplished on it. (grin)
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Just doing lots of reading (and writing essays.)
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote