Notices

Old 03-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #61
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck
let me get this clear, so if i plug in the ac adaptor to charge while the reader is on, then the battery weirdness gets cured?
It worked for me the one time I noticed the problem.
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:37 AM   #62
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I figure it's got nothing to do with the meter itself, there are 2 likely issues.

First, unless the reader is turned on when you charge it, the processor is asleep and does'nt realize it's being charged. Therefore it doesn't update its charge estimate. I don't know if the circuitry in the Reader can wake up the CPU when you plug in the charger.

Second (more speculatively), USB charging may not work if the hub or PC doesn't acknowledge the Reader as a valid device. USB ports have their power turned off under many circumstances. If the Reader only charges with the Connect software running, then this is due to the lack of an installed USB driver. I've never tested USB charging myself.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2007, 04:03 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstampe
the charger.

Second (more speculatively), USB charging may not work if the hub or PC doesn't acknowledge the Reader as a valid device. USB ports have their power turned off under many circumstances. If the Reader only charges with the Connect software running, then this is due to the lack of an installed USB driver. I've never tested USB charging myself.
But the point is that you can see that the device is charging via USB because:

1. The Reader screen changes to show the "USB Connected" display.

2. The charge light, immediately above the power switch, illuminates.

The issue is not that the battery isn't charging - it certainly is. It's simply that the meter isn't correctly displaying the charge. You can tell that the battery is charging because, for one thing, you can actually carry on reading, and for another doing a soft reset puts the meter back to 4 bars, where it should be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:54 AM   #64
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
The issue is not that the battery isn't charging - it certainly is. It's simply that the meter isn't correctly displaying the charge. You can tell that the battery is charging because, for one thing, you can actually carry on reading, and for another doing a soft reset puts the meter back to 4 bars, where it should be.
Exactly. Just turned on my Reader after having fully charged it several days ago (and not having used it since) and it indicated three bars. A few page turns later there are just two bars. Soft reset: zero bars!

I really wish there was a way to revert to the stock firmware. Never had these problems before.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #65
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Ditto too!

It's definitely software display controls.

The problem is not that bad, just annoying because it's in the face. I have an iPod shuffle that has no display. It's just a matter of checking manually, I wouldn't mind doing the same thing with the reader. The reader is so power friendly that if you read normally you can go through at least 5 books before recharging. Keep track of that and you don't need the *%$&@&% power indicator.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #66
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Just reporting that The Snassek Solution for the display problem worked for me, too. An easy fix. Thanks.
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #67
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Exactly. Just turned on my Reader after having fully charged it several days ago (and not having used it since) and it indicated three bars. A few page turns later there are just two bars. Soft reset: zero bars!

I really wish there was a way to revert to the stock firmware. Never had these problems before.

But what happends when the meter goes to zero bars? Does the reader warn you that the battery is low? In other words; is the reader's warn and auto shut-off system reacting to the meter or to the REAL charge? It really sucks if the sytem says your battery is low if in reality it's only 50% down.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #68
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
But what happends when the meter goes to zero bars? Does the reader warn you that the battery is low? In other words; is the reader's warn and auto shut-off system reacting to the meter or to the REAL charge? It really sucks if the sytem says your battery is low if in reality it's only 50% down.
With zero bars you get the "low battery" warning and can't use the reader at all. You have to charge it first, then soft-reset it. Only charging it won't do. (Nor will only soft-resetting without charging.) It's aggravating as hell!
Old 03-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #69
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Strange thing is that I had this behaviour already before the update and thought my battery was faulty. Now I don't know if I should replace the battery or keep this one and see if a future upgrade will solve it.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #70
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
When my battery went low, I got a message and the reader actually shut itself off I do believe........ You knew at that time you HAD to charge it no if's and's and butts.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #71
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck
let me get this clear, so if i plug in the ac adaptor to charge while the reader is on, then the battery weirdness gets cured?
This fixed it, but only temporarily, for me. Now it's back to being strange. I had the interesting experience of getting a "Low Battery" warning every time I turned on my reader for a couple days - but it never ran out of juice.

I think it's a lasting bug with the firmware update, and I hope we'll see a fix come down soon. Luckily it's only a display problem, and not an actual loss of battery life.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #72
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
With zero bars you get the "low battery" warning and can't use the reader at all. You have to charge it first, then soft-reset it. Only charging it won't do. (Nor will only soft-resetting without charging.) It's aggravating as hell!
Actually, you can get rid of the "Low Battery" warning screen by pressing in on the control stick. The screen goes away and you can read as normal until you turn it off (or, presumably, until it runs out of battery... But I've never had that happen).
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #73
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
Actually, you can get rid of the "Low Battery" warning screen by pressing in on the control stick. The screen goes away and you can read as normal until you turn it off (or, presumably, until it runs out of battery... But I've never had that happen).
Thanks for the tip! Will try that next time.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #74
minty
minty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Wink

I like many have this battery 'not charging' issue since upgrading the firmware

I read earlier and it worked for me just plug the mains charger in WHILE the reader is on, the battery indicator went to showing a full charge instantly, saved me have to do a soft reset

Untill they sort this bug out .......
minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #75
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
OKay here is the scoop with mine and after reading some of these posts yesterday. I was getting close to finishing a book and my 2 bar had gone to three bar the day before, then yesterday when I turned it on I got the exclamation about the battery, clicked on the joystick and that went away and continued to read to finish the book..... so next, I get on here, delete the book, update my books READ file I also copy onto this thing to keep track, and then added a book and then put it on the wall charger..... so it charges up.... I turn it on after the red light was off...... battery reads dead........ okay well what I did was with it on, I plugged the charger right back in it and it immediatly changed those bars to full power....... so there was no soft reset involved...... so next time I charge it up I think I will just turn it on (after charging) with the charger on it and see if that will just fix it since I had to pretty much do that anyways. And yes I had the firmware update......
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote