Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
elricks
Long in the tooth junior
elricks began at the beginning.

Device: none
slow download metadata

Good afternoon. I am new to Calibre and new to ebooks, but experienced in computing.

I installed the app and selected 200 books for the library. I signed up for an account on the second option imbd. After some dummy runs getting metadata for individual books to get a feel for the process, I chose to edit metadata in bulk. I made sure the book titles were 'correct' - I had to remove the published year which was appended to the title.

I have broadband and I am using XP PRO, and I do not have speed issues with any other net based app.

The process for getting the metadata is very slow. Well over an hour to download for these 190 files, and I am at 59%. I am also wondering why, when doing one book at a time, I do not have the option available to use the other database (sorry of this is the wrong name but Calibre is downloading now and I can't access the option to get the correct name) until the system has finished the google books option. I was trying to test to see if the second option was faster than the first.

Thanks in advance - I am rather looking forward to learning more about this app and ebook reading in general

SHIRLEY
elricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
A number of metadata sources throttle calibre.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

similar issue- large database won't download metadata

So the feature is effectively useless if you have a large library?

I have about 1500 pdfs I wanted to catalog with calibre. I set up a regular expression that works great with them individually, but it does not work when I try to do the whole database or even a significant subset.

The metadata download job just runs for days and produces no results at all. But as I said if I select 1 or 2 pdfs and run it, it works fine and produces results in a couple of minutes.
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbrown View Post
So the feature is effectively useless if you have a large library?

I have about 1500 pdfs I wanted to catalog with calibre. I set up a regular expression that works great with them individually, but it does not work when I try to do the whole database or even a significant subset.

The metadata download job just runs for days and produces no results at all. But as I said if I select 1 or 2 pdfs and run it, it works fine and produces results in a couple of minutes.
No! It is not useless.
Just don't do it (download) all at once.

That Library collection did not happen overnight.
I think it un-realistic that you think that the Meta-data supplier servers, supply bulk Meta-data for free, in truck load quantities.

I catalogued my DTL, a few months back using a bar code scanner and Add from ISBN. I did it in 15 book batches (to allow ease of resolving: 'no finds') with almost no delay in populating the Metadata and covers
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

Thanks for the encouragement, theducks. I turned off Overdrive, which was by far the slowest element of my attempted metadata downloads, rebooted my router to get a new external IP address in case my previous mass attempts had gotten me filtered, and started downloading in smaller chunks, eventually working up to 150 books at a time, which seems to take about an hour and twenty minutes. It's been working fine and I am almost done getting metadata for this library.

In my frustration I had spent two days writing an Autohotkey script to do metadata downloads myself, but still hadn't figured out how to write all the metadata to the PDF, so I am really glad I got Calibre working.
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert