Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Kindle's "Topaz" Format Looks Like Crap

Anyone else noticing this? Almost every topaz format book I get is hardly readable compared to the standard Amazon text. I'm getting a lot of half-formed letters, bad spacing, etc.

I gotta admit, I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with the apparent lack of quality control going on at Amazon.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I've seen this once or twice. I wonder if topaz allows for embedded fonts? The bad ebooks could be a result of a poor font choice.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I believe that is the main reason topaz gets used - they just pick bad fonts so often. They are 'prettier' but they just don't display well at that resolution. Lower case b's look like h's, etc.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Anyone else noticing this? Almost every topaz format book I get is hardly readable compared to the standard Amazon text. I'm getting a lot of half-formed letters, bad spacing, etc.

I gotta admit, I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with the apparent lack of quality control going on at Amazon.
You have a good point. You do contact Amazon and let them know, right? They are famous for immediately crediting you the amount of the book. If enough people do this, perhaps they'll get the message....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I believe that is the main reason topaz gets used - they just pick bad fonts so often. They are 'prettier' but they just don't display well at that resolution. Lower case b's look like h's, etc.
Actually, topaz is used becuase the DRM hasn't been broken yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
They are 'prettier' but they just don't display well at that resolution. Lower case b's look like h's, etc.
These are definitely embedded fonts, but I'm not even sure that they are "hinted" and/or anti-aliased. In other words, the same font at the same resolution would probably look better in ePub using its embedded ttf font capability. Has anyone come across an example of a TOPAZ ebook available in a different format elsewhere? The most likely formats would be PDF or ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Smile DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Actually, topaz is used becuase the DRM hasn't been broken yet.
but, it has been broken, google will lead you to where the software is available and how to use it. it's not quite as simple as removing the drm from an azw file, but it works.

also, i downloaded a 'free' book from amazon that was in topaz, so i doubt you assumption is correct.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Topaz isn't used because of the drm. It is a way of going from print books with no electronic version to a digital book. It builds a "font" for each book by assigning an arbitrary number to each different "glyph" the software funds in the text.

The text looks bad because you are looking at real print characters, which often have mistrikes.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo

Last edited by corona; 06-27-2010 at 09:35 AM.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
but, it has been broken, google will lead you to where the software is available and how to use it. it's not quite as simple as removing the drm from an azw file, but it works.

also, i downloaded a 'free' book from amazon that was in topaz, so i doubt you assumption is correct.
--
Alan
AFAIK, TOPAZ is not been broken as such. The tool you refer to strips TOPAZ DRM, but only if you do it on the machine with Kindle software on it and the valid key.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think that at the time that post was written (early 2009) the Topaz tools weren't available yet. Now they are but many people still avoid Topaz because of the formatting issues and the fact that the scripts are very complicated. Thankfully Topaz books are fairly rare.

As for Topaz looking like crap. It certainly does. Actually most of the time Topaz makes crap look pretty in comparison.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The only decent use there is for Topaz, imho, is for using the embeddable-font property (or whatever it actually does) to put foreign language books written in a non-Roman/Greek script on the Kindle without having to resort to installing font hacks/trying to read squinty-sized PDFs.

Unfortunately, while the format's been cracked so you can take apart and convert a Topaz book to something else, no one has yet written tools to *make* a Topaz book, which I'd actually kind of like.

Last edited by ATDrake; 06-27-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Forgot a few words, without which the sentence didn't make as much sense.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Well, you probably have to blame the publishers rather than Amazon, right? Or is Amazon completely in control of what DRM they use? One more reason I never DRM my files.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #14
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Just to clarify it just doesn't look like crap, it is crap. If there would be clear visiual "badge" stacked on each ebook on amazon saying if it is in TOPAZ format or not i would never ever buy again another book in TOPAZ. It looks awful, DRM stripping is painful and much bigger files.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I actually have some topaz books where the formatting looks fantastic. Don't get me wrong... I still hate it for other obvious reasons, but the two topaz books I own look and read just fine.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote