Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
ohemeffgee
ohemeffgee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Stretched images in ebook viewer?

When I try to read an ebook using Calibre's internal viewer and expand the window to fit my screen, the cover image always stretches out to fit my screen as well. Is there any way to stop Calibre from stretching images by default?
ohemeffgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Create your epub files with the preserve aspect ratio for cover option.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
ohemeffgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Create your epub files with the preserve aspect ratio for cover option.
Thanks for the quick response, but this happens on every file type, not just epubs.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
So convert your other file types to epub with that option and view the epub.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
OP: Calibre's viewer is really only an ePub viewer. So any other format is internally quickly converted to ePub with built-in settings before viewing. Hence Kovid's suggestion to explicitly convert to ePub before viewing as in that case you have more control over the settings used for conversion to ePub.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i now how to fix this very quickly in sigil, I just look for & delete
preserveAspectRatio="none"

so doing the same thing via calibre's find/replace should work
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i now how to fix this very quickly in sigil, I just look for & delete
preserveAspectRatio="none"

so doing the same thing via calibre's find/replace should work
That is NOT the best solution as it depends on the viewers default.

a positive control solution is to change it to:
Code:
preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
ohemeffgee

Thanks to everyone who responded, problem solved
Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is NOT the best solution as it depends on the viewers default.

a positive control solution is to change it to:
Code:
preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"
you are right of course, mine is just a lazy quick fix for when I open a book in sigil & the cover page looks awful on my widescreen PC monitor. I've never had a problem with image aspect ratios on my actual Sony reader
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
you are right of course, mine is just a lazy quick fix for when I open a book in sigil & the cover page looks awful on my widescreen PC monitor. I've never had a problem with image aspect ratios on my actual Sony reader
You don't have enough book then

There is always ONE that the cover image was NOT 3:4 aspect to start
I would rather have Pillars/Letterbox than a stretched picture.
A wolf howling at an oval moon?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

well the only cover images I look at for more than a second are those the the PRS+ software uses to make a screen saver of current book cover & it seems to fully fill the sony screen with those every time OK.

in 2nd place would be the reader thumbnails screen showing my current books - occasionally I see a thumbnail that's too narrow, but a calibre download of alternative cover images + tweak or reconvert to get new image into book usually sorts that.

but when I open a book to read I don't hang about admiring the cover art, I just get into it!