Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsi View Post
Hi knc1! Thanks for your suggestion. This is what nmap says:
nmap 192.168.15.0/24

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-04-04 16:46 CEST
Nmap scan report for 192.168.15.1
Host is up (0.00022s latency).
Not shown: 997 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open ssh
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
445/tcp open microsoft-ds

Nmap scan report for 192.168.15.244
Host is up (0.015s latency).
All 1000 scanned ports on 192.168.15.244 are closed

How should I word my ssh?
Ah, so, that tells what to do next.

If I am following correctly, your host is the 192.168.15.1 and the kindle is the 192.168.15.244 address.

The key to the problem is the:
Code:
All 1000 scanned ports on 192.168.15.244 are closed
Since that is the Kindle's address - the Kindle is alive and well (network wise).

Either of two things:
Connection to port 22 is being blocked (I.E: firewalled by iptables).
Or the ssh daemon isn't running on the Kindle.

The few usbnet scripts I have read will take care of both those items when the service is "started".

I haven't read all of the scripts in all of the possible installs - so first thing to do is check if there is a "READ.ME" (or similar name) document included with the usbnet package you used.

Check for directions on how to get the service "started".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #17
Towerle
Towerle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
can someone help me....?

I performed the following steps.

1. d2j2d was installed
2. Restart Kindle
3. On Kindle - "Create input for Calibre" to export the existing collections
4. Connect Kindle to computer
5. Imported into the Kindle Calibre Collections (Custom Column "Kindle")
- In the root directory of the Kindle was a file created called "kindle_collections_path_cache.calibre"

6. edit "Collections" in Calibre (Column "Kindle")
7. Export with "Create Colloections on the Kindle from Calibre"
8. Disconnect Kindle / Select "Import data from Calibre on the Kindle
9. I see the screen "Importing Content Catalog ...." forever but the device does not restart
10. I reboot the Kindle manually
11. The collections were not taken.

Is it because "Save template starts with: calibre," ???
What do you mean?

I'm edit the entry in Calibre "Preferences / Sending Books to devices"...

I changed the entry from "{author_sort / {title} - {} authors"

to

"{calibre}"

Is this correct?

I have also been deleted the cc.db in var/local. (ssh / mntroot rw / rm cc.db)

This did not have the desired effect. On the Kindle here were no collections created

Can someone help me?
Towerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #18
lsi
lsi began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Either of two things:
Connection to port 22 is being blocked (I.E: firewalled by iptables).
Or the ssh daemon isn't running on the Kindle.

The few usbnet scripts I have read will take care of both those items when the service is "started".

I haven't read all of the scripts in all of the possible installs - so first thing to do is check if there is a "READ.ME" (or similar name) document included with the usbnet package you used.

Check for directions on how to get the service "started".
I used the USBnetwork extension included in
2. Launcher - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161263

There is no readme in it, but I understand that the usbnetwork.sh (attached) should take care of the firewall, but does it start the ssh daemon?
Attached Files
File Type: txt usbnetwork.txt (849 Bytes, 408 views)
lsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #19
lsi

Solved!

Quote:

There is no readme in it, but I understand that the usbnetwork.sh (attached) should take care of the firewall, but does it start the ssh daemon?
Today I installed another version of USBnetwork and this one works ok.
Thanks a lot knc1 for your kind and informed help!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
EDIT:
This post was being written while the O.P. was writing his "solved" post. Which is how the posts got out of order here, the O.P. types faster than I do.

Quote:

I have read that one before...

As written, it opens port 22 for the network device wlan0 (usually the Wifi, unless renamed in a udev rule).

In fact, it adds that rule regardless of the action to be taken (adding or removing) the usb networking entry from the launcher menu; without checking if that iptables rule already exists.
Which can lead to multiple copies of the same firewall rule in iptables, one copy for each time this script was run. Not harmful, just a bit messy.

Whereas the usb networking would be network device usb0 (unless renamed somewhere in the device scripting - such as with the udev rules).

So once this script has been run (conditions set to add the usbnetworking to the lanucher menu)....

Then there should be an entry in your launcher menu to turn on (start the ssh daemon) and diddle the firewall rule in iptables for device usb0.

Check in your launcher menu for the usbnetworking menu entry, turn it on.

Notes:
If the "-i wlan0" argument to that iptables rule was removed, then port 22 would always be open in the firewall for any device rather than only the specified interface "-i" device.

Since the addition of the iptables rule is in both sides of the condition statement, then it could be outside of the condition statement.
And since it is never removed - made part of the package installation (complete with a check to see if another package has already added the rule or the general rule without the interface device specification).
Again, not harmful, just a bit messy to be diddling a rule for wlan0 in a script for installing access to the usb0 interface device.

Last edited by knc1; 04-05-2012 at 06:30 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
sumpin
Enthusiast
sumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to behold

Device: down to just a PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I took some time away from this and now I am back. I have run the import process twice and still the books are not showing up in collections. The wheel is not turning, how do I know if it doing anything?
I've uploaded a verbose mode you can try. If it says "collection has no calibre content" on import, then you are not compliant with requirement #4.

I made this restriction so that collections not managed through Calibre are left untouched because the import script only loops through collections in the file produced by the plug-in.
sumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
sumpin
Enthusiast
sumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to behold

Change "{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}"

to "calibre/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}"

and then you are compliant with requirement #4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerle View Post
I performed the following steps.

1. d2j2d was installed
2. Restart Kindle
3. On Kindle - "Create input for Calibre" to export the existing collections
4. Connect Kindle to computer
5. Imported into the Kindle Calibre Collections (Custom Column "Kindle")
- In the root directory of the Kindle was a file created called "kindle_collections_path_cache.calibre"

6. edit "Collections" in Calibre (Column "Kindle")
7. Export with "Create Colloections on the Kindle from Calibre"
8. Disconnect Kindle / Select "Import data from Calibre on the Kindle
9. I see the screen "Importing Content Catalog ...." forever but the device does not restart
10. I reboot the Kindle manually
11. The collections were not taken.

Is it because "Save template starts with: calibre," ???
What do you mean?

I'm edit the entry in Calibre "Preferences / Sending Books to devices"...

I changed the entry from "{author_sort / {title} - {} authors"

to

"{calibre}"

Is this correct?

I have also been deleted the cc.db in var/local. (ssh / mntroot rw / rm cc.db)

This did not have the desired effect. On the Kindle here were no collections created

Can someone help me?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
sumpin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookakitten View Post
I'm not sure if this is caused by this or the Kindle Collections plugin, but it won't delete empty collections. The plugin reports less collections, but they never disappear when I reboot the kindle. The only way to remove the collections is to do a factory reset which is a pain, to say the least.

For now, I'm going to stick to creating tags based on tags which is genre for most books and fandom for fanfiction.
I changed the import script to delete empty collections.

By the way, to delete an empty collection on the Kindle, touch the collection name until a menu pops up asking if you want to add/remove items or rename/delete the collection.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
lsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpin View Post
I've uploaded a verbose mode you can try. If it says "collection has no calibre content" on import, then you are not compliant with requirement #4.

I made this restriction so that collections not managed through Calibre are left untouched because the import script only loops through collections in the file produced by the plug-in.
Though Calibre creates the collections all right, I cannot import them into the Kindle. When I run the script json2db.sh -v* through SSH, I get :
process collection Utility
delete empty collection
process collection Food
collection has no calibre content
Then collections seem to be OK in the json file. The script yields no errors, but when I restart the Kindle, the collections are not imported. (The "Food" collection is the only one present in the Kindle before the script was run.)
BTW: I did Change "{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}" to "calibre/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}" in the Calibre Preferences.

Is there a way to get some more info from the script?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
sumpin
Enthusiast

1) After you changed the template to begin with calibre/, did you re-sync with calibre and verify that the content is now in documents/calibre? You may have to delete/re-add your content so it ends up in the right place. The json file only contains UUID's for books and collections. The file locations are in the cc.db file on the Kindle. If calibre hasn't moved the files after you changed the template, then you'll get that error.

2) Towerle reported problems until he switched from the portable version of calibre to a normal version.

Quote:
Though Calibre creates the collections all right, I cannot import them into the Kindle. When I run the script json2db.sh -v* through SSH, I get :
process collection Utility
delete empty collection
process collection Food
collection has no calibre content
Then collections seem to be OK in the json file. The script yields no errors, but when I restart the Kindle, the collections are not imported. (The "Food" collection is the only one present in the Kindle before the script was run.)
BTW: I did Change "{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}" to "calibre/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}" in the Calibre Preferences.

Is there a way to get some more info from the script?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #26
lsi

Quote:
1) After you changed the template to begin with calibre/, did you re-sync with calibre and verify that the content is now in documents/calibre? You may have to delete/re-add your content so it ends up in the right place.
I'm confused now.
When I buy a book from Amazon, it lands in the documents folder on the Kindle. I usually then copy it to the Calibre library on the PC as a backup and to organize the collections. If Calibre then sends it to the documents/calibre folder, I suppose I will end up with 2 copies on the Kindle: one original in documents and another one in documents/calibre?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #27
sumpin
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm confused now.
When I buy a book from Amazon, it lands in the documents folder on the Kindle. I usually then copy it to the Calibre library on the PC as a backup and to organize the collections. If Calibre then sends it to the documents/calibre folder, I suppose I will end up with 2 copies on the Kindle: one original in documents and another one in documents/calibre?
True, unless you then delete the copy from your original purchase and keep the copy managed by calibre. I never considered it an issue because the first thing I do when I purchase a book from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or (as of a few weeks ago) Apple is to strip out the DRM so that everything in my calibre library is DRM-free.

I'll have a think on it and see if I can come up with a solution that does not require #4 but still allows one to have collections and content not managed by calibre live in peace with that managed by calibre.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #28
lsi

Quote:
True, unless you then delete the copy from your original purchase and keep the copy managed by calibre. I never considered it an issue because the first thing I do when I purchase a book from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or (as of a few weeks ago) Apple is to strip out the DRM so that everything in my calibre library is DRM-free.

I'll have a think on it and see if I can come up with a solution that does not require #4 but still allows one to have collections and content not managed by calibre live in peace with that managed by calibre.
OK, I understand it now.
I can live with this workflow, and I'll try to implement it...
Thanks for your support!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
ChrisKaos
Enthusiast
ChrisKaos began at the beginning.

Let's hope this is updated for use with 5.1 soon! Incredibly useful little extension.
ChrisKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #30
pookakitten
Connoisseur
pookakitten began at the beginning.

Device: K5
I've had it work just fine with the Launcher 1.1. Anecdotal evidence isn't much in the way of evidence, though.
pookakitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, collections, kindle touch, sqlite3