Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Another font size problem

I was getting too happy with the largest type size (in the horizonal positioh) in the books that came with the Reader and with the first few books I bought.

I then ordered a few more books, and find now that the same largest size is smaller than before. On all these new books, what is now the largest size is what was the next-to-largtest (150%) on the others.

Any idea what is going on? Do different publishers have different size type?

I called Sony and eventually got to the Connect support guy, and took a long time to make him understand. He finally checked it and admitted it was smaller, but had no idea why. Great!

As I told him, the main reason I got the Reader is because I need large type to read. Now I'm stuck with a device that does not let me read and six books I bought that can't read either.

Any suggestions?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Boyodublin
Enthusiast
Boyodublin is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
I'm so glad someone else is on to this...
I had exactly the same problem and couldn't understand what was going on.
I hope Sony fixes this issue fast...Otherwise, I will not be buying anymore of their books.
Boyodublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
It does seem to vary by book... My father-in-law had eye surgery a couple of years ago and can no longer read normal books for more than a few minutes - only the large print ones, which are harder to find. I considered getting him a Sony Reader because of the resizing in any text... but after using it for a while, and while I *love* it myself, I'm not getting him one for Christmas as planned because I can't guarantee he can just hit the size button a couple of times and read to his heart's content. Too bad, he always loved to read.

For the "classics" it's fine, because I format them to a font size that looks fine for me in "small" ("medium" late at night), and fine for him in "large"... but he likes to read new stuff.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've noticed that books I buy on Connect tend to have fonts that are so small that I often wish that even the Large size was bigger. I do think they will have to get the books on the same size levels.

I believe there's a third party conversion house doing the preparation for publishers (which also probably explains the fees charged to authors to have a book included in Connect), and so maybe they can start to move things into a common set of font sizes going forward. I agree that it would be a nice improvement.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I bought the Star Wars: Dark Nest Bundle (three books, bought & downloaded at the same time), The first book the L type was a bit smaller than I wanted it to be, the second was fine, and the third was back to the smaller size of the first one.

I'm pretty sure that Sony is getting the source e-texts from the pubs or distributers, as the case may be, and just converting & DRM'ing them, I seem to remember something from somewhere about them prodding the pubs to get the font sizes bumped, so it may not be something Sony has access to adjust.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I noticed that one one of the books I got as well from connect...... the largest size was on the small size for me to read. I will have to get my stronger glasses out I guess to read it when the time comes. They need to have consistency with this IMO.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Growing pains. But it will never be corrected unless we tell them we want it corrected. Also a little more proofreading would help for things like runtogetherwords.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Growing pains. But it will never be corrected unless we tell them we want it corrected. Also a little more proofreading would help for things like runtogetherwords.
Well I have no problem voicing my opinion and letting them know if someone knows where to write them to voice this concern....... I did it with Natural Balance dog food which I thought didn't have enough meat in it (eatables) and cs got right back to me and even sent me 8 cans free...... Think we can get some free books by complaining? <BG>
Old 12-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Beyond free books, maybe we can get some of the ones we have already corrected. The Sony DRM books have flaws. Will they revise and correct them? If they do will they notify us and offer us a free download of the "corrected" copies? Will they ask for an upgrade fee?
Old 12-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
I noticed the same thing and I assume that it depends on what the publisher submits, but Sony should be setting a standard for what the publishers submit.

I wrote to Connect about it and will let you know if/when they respond. Maybe everyone should write so they get a lot of the same request.

Betty
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Email Response
The issue you describe will require more extensive troubleshooting than can be effectively handled through email. In order to save you time and potential frustration, please contact our Support Team by phone.
Seems as if the comments were beyond the automated response engine's ability to respond.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #12
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyE
I noticed the same thing and I assume that it depends on what the publisher submits, but Sony should be setting a standard for what the publishers submit.

I wrote to Connect about it and will let you know if/when they respond. Maybe everyone should write so they get a lot of the same request.

Betty
Just make sure that the request is for more *variable* font sizes (e.g. an option in the CONNECT software to re-size the default font for an e-book), because personally, my biggest problem with books from the CONNECT store is that both the margins and the font are *larger* than I want them to be....

The ability to re-size the base font of a BBeB book in the CONNECT software would solve this problem; even better if the CONNECT software by default created an additional (DRMed, of course) copy of each book that was re-sized to our personal default font size preference.

ScS
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:36 PM   #13
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcstoness
Just make sure that the request is for more *variable* font sizes (e.g. an option in the CONNECT software to re-size the default font for an e-book), because personally, my biggest problem with books from the CONNECT store is that both the margins and the font are *larger* than I want them to be....
ScS -

Sorry, but I had already written. I asked them to please standardize the sizes, but to beware that the Large needs to actually be large. I also told them that using Landscape is not a solution because the pagination is not right, so it is hard to read. They answered as follows:

"The question you have will require some research on my part. I will update this incident with additional details shortly. Thank you for your patience."

Let's see what happens.

Betty
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
font size problem

Hi.

Have you tried plain text?
Does the size of font work properly in plaintext?

If it does then simply obtain your books in plaintext.
I know, the connect store doesn't sell books in txt format, but there are other stores that do sell them. Like Baen.

Then there is project Guttenberg with an extensive classical library, and other similar sites that hold the books with expired copyright formated differently.

And finally...
... there is the dark side of the internet.
If you look hard enough there are books floating around P2P networks, and there are a few "pirate" websites (I like russian ones) that have an interesting collection of books in english.
I am not sure if it is immoral to download a txt version of the book you own in paper, or DRM-ed electronic form.

In most countries it is not even illegal to *download* a copyrighted book for your personal use. Uploading, or distributing is a different story however.

And if you have a book in plaintext, then you can make your own pdf file with any font size you wish.
Use Openoffice.org Writer. Set the page size to the physical dimensions of the screen of Reader, set the font size and type and export the result into pdf. You can fine tune the size and fonts of your book.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #15
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
Hi.

Have you tried plain text?
Does the size of font work properly in plaintext?

And if you have a book in plaintext, then you can make your own pdf file with any font size you wish.
Use Openoffice.org Writer. Set the page size to the physical dimensions of the screen of Reader, set the font size and type and export the result into pdf. You can fine tune the size and fonts of your book.
I can't see the fascination with PDF files if you can get text to work and you can read a book on the reader with that, why convert it to pdf.... just read the book, LOL........