Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Unregistered
Nameless Being

any EBK (culturecomm) conversion tools?

I have a Kolin i-library ebook (actually rebranded argosy EBK 683) that I had purchased an evaluation unit of. There was a possible sale of a couple of hundred of these, but the support from Argosy USA was so poor that the idea was totally dropped. Anyway - just discovered that XPSP2 does not like the conversion software that was provided with the ebook, and any links from argosy USA to support software from their server overseas is broken. I regret that I cannot read any flavor of Chinese, which is what the Kolin site is in.

The communication software works fine if not VERY slow, but I would like to be able to upload my own content again. I used it quite a bit last baseball season at the Brewer;s games (BORING! but had to go with teh wife) since it was easy to read in the sun and the REB1200's are not. Since Argosy is either out of business with all of the dead links, and no response to phone calls and emails (told you that we dropped any ideas of using their units from lack of support from the US branch!) If I could get this working I'll give this to one of my students - too limited with the 16 meg for me and since memory cards were unavailable from Argosy in any sort of reasonable time frame (tried to purchase a SINGLE ONE for four months!!!! for a demo - why the deal was killed). Origional purpose was having a mobile reader with replaceable batteries, but no support killed the deal. Also own things like the origional rocketbook, multiple REB1200's, multiple REB1100's, ebookman of all types (very disappointing - shipping with Alpha software. Worked great at the end but by then it was too late), Heibook and various tablets.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Unregistered
Nameless Being

solution

solved my own problem when going into the "easyreader" chinese web site.
While in the "english" portion of the web site and going into the "free downloads" I downloaded everything, hoping that one of my scout parent's whose native tounge is Chinese would be kind enough to translate for me,
as it turns out they did have an english version - just not identified as such.

So - for anyone who googles EB683 support. Go to the easyreader site and download the last listed conversion tool. This is the english version and much better than the Argosy version because it will do bulk conversions to the EBK format rather than single at a time. Going into the Argosy software, you can now upload the EBK format files.

If the %^&*&^% company provided support, and actually sold their EBK memory cards (same form factor as CF, but not CF) I'd actually think of keeping this.
Advert
Old 07-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
bailala
bailala began at the beginning.

http://www.helpdrivers.com/ingles/li...p?codigo=56974
bailala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

That link requests a $5 payment, and I was told from someone else that it only gives you the link to the Argosy web site. Which actually reposted the driver(s) and software a couple of weeks ago.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:16 AM   #5
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
Hi, I am late. I use kolin i-library for 2 years.
Kolin in Taiwan still supports the EBK reader (than Argorsy USA ) and sales the larger EBK card (128MB is NT$ 1480, about US$ 45)

You can download the latest english version fireware (free) at
http://i-library.kolin.com.tw/downlo...v360e0_eng.ebx
It adds several new paging function and the stability to link.
Be careful to upgrade it. (potential damage due to inproper procedure of upgrade!)

The NEWEST and MOST STABLE EBKTool4 Beta is avaiable (also free) at
http://i-library.kolin.com.tw/downlo...p/EBKTool4.exe

It supports extracting text from the txt, doc, ppt, html files and converted them to EBK format with 2 or 4 grey pictures.
In the most conditions, you can convert your document to the EBK as WYSWYG with an appropriate font size and layout.

I strongly suggest you use it. Just try it. You can make it.

If you can translate tranditional Chinese to English by some web tool (google translate?) or somebody, I sincerely invite you visit the following link -- An introduction of EBK reader and EBKTool4:
http://i-library.kolin.com.tw/bbs/to...id=20&cat_id=6

Good luck! Welcome to your feedback.

BTW, I am glad to answer your any new questions.

Last edited by segatang; 09-06-2006 at 03:38 AM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

Segatang -
Thanks for your help!

I look forward to hearing about the white screen unit.

Jon M.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote