Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Widows and Orphans and firmware, oh my!

I tend to clean up sideloaded epubs a bit, and one thing I usually do is to set widows and orphans to zero, to give me a full page of text. I also remove spacing between paragraphs and use first-line indents instead, which means – barring section headings and the like – every ereader page has the same number of lines of text.

One thing I'm noticing with firmware 2.5.x is that when a chapter ends on the last line of a screen page, for no reason that I can discern the last line is actually broken over to the next screen, and appears there on its own while leaving a blank line at the bottom of the previous page, which seems to defeat the coding.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be? I don't think it happened in 2.4x, though I haven't downgraded my system to check. Could it be something in the display engine? (These are standard 2.0 epubs, not kepubs.) Could it be something caused by the pagebreak code that begins the next html file?

And yes, I've checked in Sigil that there is no errant coding at the end of the text.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 05-02-2013 at 03:01 AM.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It isn't new to 2.5.1. I definitely saw it with 2.4.0 and I am sure people have commented on it for a while. I am sure it is a bug in the display engine.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks mate. I did a search, but couldn't find any relevant discussion.

Worth putting in a bug report, or has it already been raised?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Thanks mate. I did a search, but couldn't find any relevant discussion.

Worth putting in a bug report, or has it already been raised?
Kobo is definitely aware of this problem. It was an issue, was fixed, and then reappeared. Check to see if using the Georgia font seems better.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
MacEachaidh
Browser

Thanks taming, I'll give that a try.

I've noticed a few bugs have made a reappearance in 2.5.1 — how does that happen?! For instance, the text-based cover when the device goes into sleep mode is back, and this time going back to the home screen and letting the image file regenerate doesn't fix it. Also, my system is far slower now on 2.5.1 than it was on 2.5.0 or 2.4.0. I'm actually tempted to do a factory reset and go back a few versions.

Anyway. Meanwhile, I'll give Georgia a try. Thanks for your help.
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This is entirely speculation, but it is based on previous experience.

There seem to be times, immediately following a "big" release, when Kobo finds out that they screwed up on something enormously important to one segment of their market. For example, dictionary screw ups. They very quickly fix that big thing, but don't seem to catch effects that may be cascading out of that fix. Definitely not a good thing, and not something one sees coming from companies that generally do one big update a year when new devices are released.

The pattern has been that we wait a bit longer than we would like (but we are talking a few weeks, not months) to get a fix that takes care of those things, and a few more items on the to-do/most-wanted list.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote