Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What Is Most Important To You In A Reader?
Price? 7 6.42%
Design Features 58 53.21%
Flexibility 12 11.01%
Size/Weight 20 18.35%
Battery Life 12 11.01%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
How about ability to display the book (ePub of course) the way it was designed? Nothing more irritating than seeing your hard work displayed incorrectly because the reader doesn't follow the specs - well I guess not being able to see anything at all because of stability/reliability/battery issues would trump that....
That's not a "feature" of a reader that's its definition. If a knife doesn't cut, it isn't a knife.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm going to ignore the poll and just write better main software stability I find it pretty amazing that the big guys like Sony, Nook, Kobo can't make a completely 100% stable reader I'll just say while crashes are pretty rare they do happen now and again and they just shouldn't.

Before I got my first e ink reader I'd never heard of anything as simple as an epub reader crashing ever and I'd read tons of them on PC's and even my iPod.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
When I bought my first ereader the deciding factor was the availability of books I wanted to read. I live in Mexico and read books in English for pleasure.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The poll was far too limiting for me to vote as well. Like Xanthe's reply, I have many features I need, and a lot I don't care about. But there's not just one item that's the main priority for me.

Good design and size/weight is a must. Touch screen is a must for me; a few physical buttons are nice, but not necessary. Wide selection of fonts, font sizes, and a way to darken the text. Epub format. Good battery life is a must, but I think every e-ink screen reader will do fine there. My preference is a 5" reader for portability. Ability to see the time while reading (PRS+ has definitely spoiled me). At this point for me to purchase a new reader, front lighting would be a necessity.

Things I don't care about at all but if they're included, wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker: SD card, audio, wifi (wifi being one that might be a deal breaker, I really don't want the battery drain or the "tracking" that goes along with accessing the internet, and yes, I know you can turn it off in most instances).

Price is always a consideration, but I'd be willing to pay more for a reader that does everything I want and does it well.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Screen quality and robustness.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
That's not a "feature" of a reader that's its definition. If a knife doesn't cut, it isn't a knife.
I don't think there's a single eReader currently available that implements ePub 2 or ePub 3 correctly and in full.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I picked price. All the others are good things but if it's too expensive for me to afford they won't do me a bit of good.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I picked price. All the others are good things but if it's too expensive for me to afford they won't do me a bit of good.
Ditto
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
It's so hard to choose! Price does factor into it for me, as I'd rather put my money into books than the reader, but I like something that feels good in my hands too. If you're spending a lot of time holding it, it has to be comfortable. And of course the screen and the ability to change font size are important, but I think I'd be reasonably happy with any e-ink reader as far as that goes.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't think there's a single eReader currently available that implements ePub 2 or ePub 3 correctly and in full.
Not by the spec, no.
Not a one.
At least Apple is honest enough to admit ibooks are not epub.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Somebody's got to advocate size/weight. For me, to date nothing beats the Sony X50 line for sleekness, with the 5" size perfect for my purse and the 7" size for reading at home. Six-inch readers serve neither purpose ideally.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
I voted for design features. Stability, reliability and freedom of choice regarding bookstores are also important factors for me.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #28
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Well, I was given my first Kindle, so that kinda took the decision out of my hands, but a combination of things has kept me with it: Amazon's excellent customer service, B&N's horrible customer service, the kindle features, the price, the ecosystem... it all conspired together. Any one without the others wouldn't be enough.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sad but true.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #30
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The screen - specifically, the blackness of the text. That's why I stick with the jetBook Lite.

But that's assuming things like reliability. If the thing can't be counted on working, what good is any other aspect of it?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote