Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
PRS 300 with light on Sony PRS-350

I recently bought 3 Sony PRS-350s for my nieces and nephew when Sony was having a deal for $76.11. I think the deal is still on. In any case, now I would like to get them covers as well. I want to get them the Sony Official Cover with Light (PRSA-CL35) that way they don't have to carry an extra book light around.

However, it has been hard if not next to impossible to track them down. Believe me, I checked every electronic online vendors I know. I found that one site is still selling for $49.99 and it's $69.99 on Ebay.

I honestly don't feel like shelling out $49.99 for a reader that cost $76.11. However, I also noticed that the PRS-300 cover with light however is only $9.88 from Walmart website. I read one of the thread here that someone ordered the wrong one and ended up using Velcro with it.

Does anyone else have any suggestion in term of retrofitting the PRS-ACL3 for PRS-350 or advise on alternative solution?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 11-28-2011 at 05:22 PM.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I picked up a 300 cover at Staples on clearance and converted it last spring.
It worked so well, I converted a lighted cover too. It was pretty easy
I posted pics on this thread about half way down.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=cover
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I picked up a 300 cover at Staples on clearance and converted it last spring.
It worked so well, I converted a lighted cover too. It was pretty easy
I posted pics on this thread about half way down.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=cover
Thanks Retro!!! It's what I needed. Your pictures are too small so I can't see it clearly. Did you just remove the bracket, cut it and keeps only the top and bottom part. Then glue that part to the cover using crazy glue?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Cody#1
Cody#1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-350
Hi, I also converted a 600 & a 300 cover to work with my new 650 & 350. After carfully prying the hinge out, I cut it in half with a pair of tin snips and cut off just enough to allow the 650/350 to fit. You do have to cut off the little nubs that help to hold the hinge in place, I used wire cutters for this and a small file. After checking the fit, I glued the hinge back in place using "Goop" Lawn and Garden. This stuff will hold any thing. You might want to check the clearence table at your local Office Depot. I saw both the 600 and 300 standard and lighted there today. The lighted ones were $5.50 and the standard ones were $2.98.
Cody#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Cody#1

Oh, I forgot to mention in above post, that I also purchased 1" wide black ribbed elastic (JoAnns) cut and sewed it to fit around reader covers. At the point where I sewed the elastic, I added a beautiful bead (flat 1") of the tree of life. I purchased the bead from my local bead shop. You could also use a nice button. My readers will never fall out!
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
The bracket on the lighted cover is different from the non-lighted cover. You can see the little tabs that pop through a square hole on the bracket about a 1/2 inch from the ends. I popped the top one loose and pulled it up. There was foam tape between the tabs. I cut it with scissors below the square hole, lined the reader up with the bottom and measured how much to cut to fit. I wanted to make sure it was snug. Then I cut off the top tab and super glued the top piece back in place. It's held up well. The reader sits flush with the bottom with about a 1/2 inch extra at the top. It's not noticable at all and the reader covers the bracket so you don't even see the cuts.

On the regular cover, I pried up both ends, but them and measured to cut to fit. Then I super glued both ends back in place, so the reader is centered in the cover.

Check out Office Depot, I've seen some 300 covers there recently.

If you're anywhere near Dallas, I saw 2 350 lighted covers at MicroCenter a week ago. They were full price, though.

Last edited by retro; 11-28-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: left out a word
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
OrcaBlue
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody#1 View Post
Hi, I also converted a 600 & a 300 cover to work with my new 650 & 350. After carfully prying the hinge out, I cut it in half with a pair of tin snips and cut off just enough to allow the 650/350 to fit. You do have to cut off the little nubs that help to hold the hinge in place, I used wire cutters for this and a small file. After checking the fit, I glued the hinge back in place using "Goop" Lawn and Garden. This stuff will hold any thing. You might want to check the clearence table at your local Office Depot. I saw both the 600 and 300 standard and lighted there today. The lighted ones were $5.50 and the standard ones were $2.98.
Thanks Cody#1. I will definitely give Office Depot a visit later on today. This is going to be fun project. I am wondering whether I can use an Exacto cutter the bracket. Mmmm..., I thought the snub would fit into the pin whole on the PRS-350.

If I can find it at Office Depot, I will order from Walmart.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
OrcaBlue
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
The bracket on the lighted cover is different from the non-lighted cover. You can see the little tabs that pop through a square hole on the bracket about a 1/2 inch from the ends. I popped the top one loose and pulled it up. There was foam tape between the tabs. I cut it with scissors below the square hole, lined the reader up with the bottom and measured how much to cut to fit. I wanted to make sure it was snug. Then I cut off the top tab and super glued the top piece back in place. It's held up well. The reader sits flush with the bottom with about a 1/2 inch extra at the top. It's not noticable at all and the reader covers the bracket so you don't even see the cuts.

On the regular cover, I pried up both ends, but them and measured to cut to fit. Then I super glued both ends back in place, so the reader is centered in the cover.

Check out Office Depot, I've seen some 300 covers there recently.

If you're anywhere near Dallas, I saw 2 350 lighted covers at MicroCenter a week ago. They were full price, though.
Thanks, this really give me a clear visual of what need to be done. Yeah, I found 4 available at my local MicroCenter, but again it is $49.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody#1 View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention in above post, that I also purchased 1" wide black ribbed elastic (JoAnns) cut and sewed it to fit around reader covers. At the point where I sewed the elastic, I added a beautiful bead (flat 1") of the tree of life. I purchased the bead from my local bead shop. You could also use a nice button. My readers will never fall out!
Cody#1, from your description, it must be a beautiful cover. .

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 11-28-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: typo.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
OrcaBlue
Groupie

I stopped by Office Depot after work today and found the covers with light for 300 and 600 on sale for $4.94, and the standard cover for $2.49. During check out, I asked the guy what's the return policy is he said 14 days. Then when he brought it up, he punched in some codes and low and behold, my total come out the following.

Pocket Edition cover with light 1.00
Pocket Edition cover with light 1.00
Touch Edition cover with light 1.00
Pocket Edition Sandard cover 0.50
Touch Edition Standard cover 0.50
------------------------------------------
Subtotal: 4.00
Sales Tax: .35

Total: 4.35

That left me missing one Pocket Edition with light . I went to another store and found the Pocket Edition with light. However, the store manager there refused to match the other store price. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Thanks you both!!!

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 11-29-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
Cody#1

Oh my gosh, what a great deal!! How fun is that? Good luck with your conversion.