Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Can I download and convert Kindle freebies?

There seem to be some great books given away by Amazon these days. I can't download the measly samples which Sony offer because I prefer using outdated Sony software which the site won't recognise.

Is there some way that I can download and convert (using calibre) the kindle freebies? I don't own a kindle, but have a Sony PRS 505.

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You can download Amazon ebooks if you install a copy of Kindle4PC and use that as your download vehicle....and you will need an Amazon account.

Once you have downloaded the ebook, you will find the original in a directory my documents/my Kindle content. That file can be put into Calibre. The book can be converted only if you remove the drm with the appropriate Calibre plugins for those tasks.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Often, the same books are also free at B&N since the publishers are the ones who offer them.

Check out koland's blog Books on the Knob. She lists freebies for all formats.

I have noticed that a large number of the recent Amazon freebies have been Topaz. I only seem to have about 50/50 luck with removing DRM from those.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 02-08-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: addition
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just tried to set up an Amazon account. Now it wants me to register my non-existent Kindle. Help!

I think I've just sorted this. I don't need to register a kindle with the kindle for pc thingy. Thanks. Silly me!

Last edited by BookCat; 02-09-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J

Oh dear, I seem to have created an account with Amazon US instead of UK. Does this matter? I only intend to download freebies.
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Not to worry. Now that you have set up an account, on the main ebooks page, right hand near the top you will see "manage your Kindle" Click on that, sign into your account and mid way down the page you will see a listing for "Your Country" There is an edit button where you can correct the information.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J

Thanks for all the help. The strange thing is that if I look at the freebies using my normal browser (firefox) they are, indeed, free. But if I look at them using the kindle4pc software, they're not. Amazon seem to have a two-tier pricing system for their ebooks, one for direct download to the kindle and another for download to the kindleforpc software. Damnations!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I get them via my normal browser, where they are free. When you "buy" them, they are offered to send to Kindle for PC, and that's where I send them. I don't open them in Kindle for PC until I've already "bought".
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #9
BookCat
C L J

Thanks elizilla. I've now downloaded several freebies from Amazon and have them in the software. I now have to go through the rest of the proceedure before loading onto the 505. Once I've got the hang of this, I won't feel so dumb.

Tags
freebies, kindle, sony