Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Recording non ebook info

How are people recording their non ebook info on Calibre?

Reading List is a great plug in, but I would like to be able to add paper books to the list.

I'm guessing there's a work around ......
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I create an empty book entry via Add Books, set up the metadata and cover and then add a tag of [PAPER] to such books. I also use the same technique with a [WISHLIST] tag for books I want to record in Calibre that I do not yet have.

Another possibility is to use a custom column instead of a tag, but I started with my approach before custom columns were an option and have never changed.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mea culpa!!!

Thank you itimpi for sharing this info ...... I hadn't realised that empty books had been made an option, even though I'd followed the posted requests for similar to be added. Goes to show how I've just focused on certain options in the Add Books Menu and not other options.

All sorted now.

Thanks again

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-13-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Mea culpa!!!

Thank you itimpi for sharing this info ...... I hadn't realised that empty books had been made an option, even though I'd followed the posted requests for similar to be added. Goes to show how I've just focused on certain options in the Add Books Menu and not other options.
I think that was only added a year or so ago
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I think that was only added a year or so ago
I think it has been there a long time: It was there when I started my Library in late 2009.
It has gained a few feature options since then
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
filmgal
filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: kobo, android phone/tablet
If I create an empty book and tag it all properly, how can I then match this database entry with the epub when I find the book?
filmgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
filmgal
filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.filmgal for a long time would go to bed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgal View Post
If I create an empty book and tag it all properly, how can I then match this database entry with the epub when I find the book?
Ah, never mind. I think I found it (Add Books - Add Files to Selected Book Records).
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ah, never mind. I think I found it (Add Books - Add Files to Selected Book Records).
I missed that way. I always open the metadata edit window and drop the book tat way.
"selected records"?
wouldn't this apply to a single record only?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
filmgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I missed that way. I always open the metadata edit window and drop the book tat way.
"selected records"?
wouldn't this apply to a single record only?
Probably. Haven't tried it yet. This is the first time I add an empty record and I haven't found the book yet.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I'd be interested to hear your result too filmgal.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
filmgal

Works like a charm. As far as I can tell you can you only assign one file to 1 book (which is what I wanted anyway). Perhaps the drag & drop method into the open Edit Metadata window is best for a single book with multiple formats.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thanks for that info!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a Long Text custom 'column' (Supplementary), where I add file system hyperlinks to non ebook digital material (film, mini-series, audio readings etc), web hyperlinks to reviews etc.

I make notes such as "Hardcopy in Penguin"; "First published 1857 - Michel Lévy Frères"; notes about adaptations "BBC has done 3 Bovary miniseries and a film". Or "Warner is due to release The Hobbit as a game in Nov 2012" - if Santa drops one in my stocking then I'll put in a link to it in the Supplementary column

Some of my 'books' have associated spreadsheets and/or simulations that I access when reading the 'book', I use hyperlinks in Supplementary to access them.

Essentially I use the Supplementary 'column' as a place to put references to everything but the ebook - the ebook (if it exists) is often secondary.

I don't have a very big movie video library, and I've never 'liked' the library features in players. So I'm exploring how I can use Calibre to manage my 'Video Library' using links in a Long Text 'column' to access the video files.

BR

ps: you can also drag/drop e-book format files into the Book Details panel

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-30-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: add ps
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Better Red you sound very organised, and I can see ideas for myself in what you do.

What is a ' Long Text custom 'column' (Supplementary)'?

Do you create this using Preferences, Add your own Columns?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Works like a charm. As far as I can tell you can you only assign one file to 1 book (which is what I wanted anyway). Perhaps the drag & drop method into the open Edit Metadata window is best for a single book with multiple formats.
You can also select the book in the library and drop the file on the details pane. That adds that format to the entry or replaces the existing file if it is already there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote