Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 03:14 AM   #16
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
How did we live without iPad? Were we cavemen and barbarians?
DixieGal, tech has spoiled us, happily! Remember when we had to go to the bank during business hours and machines didn't spit out cash? ... A kid I hosted was stumped when confronted with my faux-rotary dial phone; she'd never dialed a phone before. ... My Mom paid $1,300 for a VCR in the '80s. You can now buy sweet flat-screen TVs for hundreds less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I will dedicate a rack to you!
I wanna know how those ribs stand up to barbecue from the Texas barbecue trail. I'm a barbecue fiend; it'd be my last meal if I ever ended up on Death Row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKal View Post
Maggie, you are one of the people that convinced me to give the iPad a try and I must say I haven't regretted it one bit. Mine is wifi only so not quite as useful as 3G for on the go. But then, wifi seems to be almost everywhere these days.
JimKal, glad to hear that we iPad fans didn't steer you wrong.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 06-27-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #17
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
My iPad has turned out a great travel companion too. On my latest trip to Pattaya I've read four books on the iPad and only one book on my Sony.

The downside is, I am now spoiling it rotten. I've bought it a really rugged leather case and a wireless keyboard. Meanwhile, my Sony sits in my suitcase, neglected and sulking.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have to admit that I've not touched any of my eInk readers for weeks now. Time for a "clearance sale", I think!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #19
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have to admit that I've not touched any of my eInk readers for weeks now. Time for a "clearance sale", I think!
At this point, all I'm doing with my Kindle is trying to remember to charge the battery. I haven't even bothered loading the latest software update, because I'm not using it. It's not worth selling, so I'm keeping it in case I accidentally kill my iPad. Of course, I'd go buy a replacement iPad asap if that happened.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #20
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Reading through all the comments on this thread has made me really, really want an iPad. I've played with a family member's iPad, and I think it would be the only thing that would have me put away my beloved Sony 505.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 AM   #21
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An interesting comment HarryT. I got my iPad after playing with a Nook for a good amount of time at the local B&N store. I think the eInk technology is fine for a reader but I wanted a bigger screen. I also didn't like the Nook interface. After reading some of the good comments about the iPad I went to the Apple store. I found that the comments about back lighting straining the eyes didn't seem to be an issue, at least for me (and I do have old eyes!). Since getting the iPad I've found that things I didn't expect to like, like the white print on black background, work well for me for reading in bed at night.

But, with the recent price drop I'm beginning to think a backup eInk reader for taking to the gym or laying by the pool might not be a bad investment.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #22
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Crazy, ridicilous, insane.... I can only use those words now, to describe the iPad. I am just amazed by it's battery life when it's wifi is cut off.

During a long haul flight, i've watched 3 movies off about 1,5-2 hours each. Each movie, without skipping, only took 5% off the battery charge. 15% in total. These were highdef movies! Autobrightness was on, so i assume, it went to the darkest setting

At arrival, there was still 60% charge. That's including a two hour transfer delay, where I did get wifi. I think in total i've used the iPad for more than 8 hours!! I might have been able to get 20 hours this way.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #23
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Crazy, ridicilous, insane.... I can only use those words now, to describe the iPad. I am just amazed by it's battery life when it's wifi is cut off.

During a long haul flight, i've watched 3 movies off about 1,5-2 hours each. Each movie, without skipping, only took 5% off the battery charge. 15% in total. These were highdef movies! Autobrightness was on, so i assume, it went to the darkest setting

At arrival, there was still 60% charge. That's including a two hour transfer delay, where I did get wifi. I think in total i've used the iPad for more than 8 hours!! I might have been able to get 20 hours this way.
The biggest disconnect for me coming from the iPhone? Seeing that iPad battery gauge at 50%, and realizing I still have over 5 hours left of usage
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #24
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:

That's great to hear. I usually sleep as much as possible on long flights, but it's nice to know that the juice will hold up even on long hauls.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #25
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I took my iPad on a trip recently too! We had a great time without the laptop. =) But the Kindle got lonely in the suitcase. And is still lonely, even here at home.

Silliness aside, it was so nice not to be toting around all of the equipment I normally take with me when I travel. Yes, there are some things that would have been easier on the laptop, but I think the only thing I couldn't do was download photos from my camera. And that was my own fault, I didn't buy the camera connector when I bought my iPad.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #26
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
The iPad in combination with an Apple Airport Express (mini-wifi router) is superb. In hotels, I was able to relax in bed, enjoying wifi. Writing emails, updating my travelblog, skyping home.

Never took my netbook out of the suitcase. That was just dead weight.

If only I could get my hands on a camera connection kit.... Luckily I've got a 16GB memory card in my camera, so I didn't need to offload images.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #27
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
are the kits still that hard to find? I ordered mine from apple back in April and got it in about a week. you might want to just order it from their store.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #28
shiffy
shiffy doesn't littershiffy doesn't litter

Device: DR800SG
Quote:
The iPad in combination with an Apple Airport Express (mini-wifi router) is superb. In hotels, I was able to relax in bed, enjoying wifi. Writing emails, updating my travelblog, skyping home.

Never took my netbook out of the suitcase. That was just dead weight.

If only I could get my hands on a camera connection kit.... Luckily I've got a 16GB memory card in my camera, so I didn't need to offload images.
Can you use an airport express to connect to a hotel's LAN port? And, will it set up automatically if you just plug it in and access it from the ipad? Thanks.
shiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #29
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiffy View Post
Can you use an airport express to connect to a hotel's LAN port? And, will it set up automatically if you just plug it in and access it from the ipad? Thanks.
1. yes.
2. it doesn't set up automatically. you will need to do initial configuration
3. yes.

i posted a guide to setting it up in "bridge" mode a while back.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73647
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:47 AM   #30
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I've just had my iPad (64Gb 3G) version for a couple of days and it looks like its going to be very handy when travelling in a couple of days.

I'm loading it up with Podcast's and comics for the trip as i still fell that i'm going to be sticking to my pocket pro for actual reading as i find the ipad a little heavy for longer reading sessions.

The biggest issue I currently have is that I don't have a proper case for the iPad and as its still not officially launched in india or Egypt (Got mine from the US) I'm going to have to scour the Duty free to see if I can find one. till then i'm using a repurposed netbook case.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote