Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
jbloudg20
Connoisseur
jbloudg20 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900 & K2i
Could somebody please just confirm for me...

When my PRS900 arrives, I plan on selling my PRS700 and getting a Kindle 2 International edition. If I buy this (I am in the US), and bring it with me on my honeymoon to Paris, will I be able to access wikipedia over the wireless when I am there?

This would be a HUGE benefit, and may be a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance.

Some advice from the Parisians would be most helpful!

Last edited by jbloudg20; 01-18-2010 at 12:40 AM.
jbloudg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
hmmmm.... honeymoon in Paris and the presence, or lack thereof, of wiki is a dealbreaker....

there have been mixed reports of international wikiness
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
jbloudg20
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
hmmmm.... honeymoon in Paris and the presence, or lack thereof, of wiki is a dealbreaker....

Haha. When were are out and about, it would be great to be able to look up the history of a place while we are standing there. We can't always afford a guide or a tour, I'm a graduate student, money is tight!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
How about something like the below? The Wiki Reader $99.

http://www.amazon.com/WikiReader-WR-01-Pocket-Wikipedia/dp/B002N5521W/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263794752&s r=8-10

also http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wikireader-puts-wikipedia-in-your-pocket-13-10-2009/

and http://thewikireader.com/store.html

EDIT: and the MR Wiki for information.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/WikiReader

Last edited by dreams; 01-18-2010 at 01:34 AM. Reason: added link to MR wiki for information also
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:16 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloudg20 View Post
Haha. When were are out and about, it would be great to be able to look up the history of a place while we are standing there. We can't always afford a guide or a tour, I'm a graduate student, money is tight!
I pretty much figured that was it, I only wanted you to think my mind is totally in the gutter.

in 8 years of living in Europe, I found that the Michelin guide is (at least was) pretty comprehensive. if it is still put together the way they used to, it is very easy to stick in a daypack, fannypack, tote, and medium sized purse

have fun!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I don't believe that's correct. Wiki is the one thing that you CAN use the web browser for outside the US. Text only - you don't get pictures. Should work in any country that Whispernet is available in, and that certainly includes all of western Europe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
jbloudg20
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe that's correct. Wiki is the one thing that you CAN use the web browser for outside the US. Text only - you don't get pictures. Should work in any country that Whispernet is available in, and that certainly includes all of western Europe.
Thank you Harry. From some of the reading I've done, I'm somewhat confident it'll work ok.

A major reason I want to get the kindle, is the availability of their books. Primarily I need a good PDF reader, and I have that covered with the 900, so the kindle should be great to let my fiancee use. This way, maybe I can get MY reader back .
Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm not a Marriage Counselor but.....

I would be VERY HESITANT about reading while on my honeymoon, or at least I would try to be.....

DISCREET!

(Only joking, of course!)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I would be VERY HESITANT about reading while on my honeymoon, or at least I would try to be.....

DISCREET!
Maybe he can use potty breaks to get some reading in
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Pictures are certainly available on wikipedia (at least in BElguim), and if you live in the US, you can access the whole internet when you're in Europe.
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
Pictures are certainly available on wikipedia (at least in BElguim), and if you live in the US, you can access the whole internet when you're in Europe.
Only low-res images. Go to a Wiki page with lots of pictures, eg the article on Egyptian Pyamids:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramids

Compare what you get on your Kindle with what your PC shows, and you'll see the difference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There was the edukindle web site that lets you save Wikipedia pages for Kindle: http://www.edukindle.com/downloads/kindlepedia/. You could save some pages ahead of time, and have them for reference.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
That's not necessary because Wikipedia is available in Paris (of course if you have reception, which won't be a problem I think).
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloudg20 View Post
When my PRS900 arrives, I plan on selling my PRS700 and getting a Kindle 2 International edition. If I buy this (I am in the US), and bring it with me on my honeymoon to Paris, will I be able to access wikipedia over the wireless when I am there?

This would be a HUGE benefit, and may be a deal breaker.
But if it doesn't work, what is your alternative? Seems to make sense to me to have a device where you can share the ebooks without having to do the DRM dance.

But, of course, it's your decision.

Hey... that Wikireader is pretty cool. Is it upgradeable with new/updated articles? Oppss... never mind... found in the description "Updates for the WikiReader are provided quarterly and available for free download. A yearly subscription plan for updated microSD cards is also available for $29."

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
jbloudg20
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But if it doesn't work, what is your alternative? Seems to make sense to me to have a device where you can share the ebooks without having to do the DRM dance.

But, of course, it's your decision.

Hey... that Wikireader is pretty cool. Is it upgradeable with new/updated articles? Oppss... never mind... found in the description "Updates for the WikiReader are provided quarterly and available for free download. A yearly subscription plan for updated microSD cards is also available for $29."

BOb
The alternative is to use my own prs900, and NOT buy the kindle. I can save pages ahead of time to read there, but it would be convenient to look up articles on the spot. I can get away with a prs300 for her usage, but I'm willing to spend more if the kindle will fill this void.