Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-06-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Question How is the iLiad connected to the PC?

Question: How is the iLiad connected to the PC? Are the files transfered via a special Application or is the iLiad simple mounted like a Portable Harddisk which can be filled with files?

If it works like a regular file share, it should be easily possible to develop an application which syncs RSS feeds as PDF to the device as soon as it is connected.

Anoter Question: Can the iLiad be accessed via Network? Over which protocols? Or does it only work via a push mechanism?

Last Question: Could someone who stays in contact with iRex ask them about GPL issues? Do the plan to make the source public or do they prefer getting sued
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:17 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscherno
Last Question: Could someone who stays in contact with iRex ask them about GPL issues? Do the plan to make the source public or do they prefer getting sued

Hehe, i guess, they will get sued. Not because they dont want to make the source public, just because its still on that ship from the phillipines
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2006, 04:24 AM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
that ship from the phillipines
A great opportunity for piracy we have lost (Why to limit oneself to intellectual piracy when one can aim for a bit of real one )
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Question: How is the iLiad connected to the PC? Are the files transfered via a special Application or is the iLiad simple mounted like a Portable Harddisk which can be filled with files?

If it works like a regular file share, it should be easily possible to develop an application which syncs RSS feeds as PDF to the device as soon as it is connected.
When i connect it t the PC by USB it is just another portable disk. I just copy the files to it.

Quote:
Anoter Question: Can the iLiad be accessed via Network? Over which protocols? Or does it only work via a push mechanism?
I think this is planned for later.. have to ask about this again.

Quote:
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
When i connect it t the PC by USB it is just another portable disk. I just copy the files to it.
You dont connect to the USB Port at the top of the device, because its only a type A, right?
You have to connect through the travelhub and have a B type connector there to connect to the PC, right?
Advert
Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I certainly hope not!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac

But it said in te specs, that the USB connector on the top of the iLiad is a typa A connector, which could not be used to make that portable disk connection. And i think it said on th irexshop page, that the travehub has a type B connector. Would be an ...hmmm. ugly... no ... aehm.. a not so pretty solution, but i can live with that. (my 2Gig card arrived, hope everything fits on it)

EDIT: Hmm, maybe i am wrong. Can be, that type A and B just defines the form of the connector. like Type A is the normal flat plug and Type B is the square one.

@Henrycaqt, can you clear that up?

Last edited by tribble; 07-06-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
I hope there will be a wireless push/pull method other then the official iDS system. Imagine getting your favourite news updated everytime you are in range of an open wlan.

Well, if there isn't you might still make your access point at home reroute the iDS request to a local server preparing the content. But reverse engineering is a major pain in the ...

@Henrycat: is there already content available via iDS or not? If there is, could you please fire up ethereal while requesting and downloading it? This would give us something to look at while waiting for shipping.

Hm. Maybe i should try it with relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Tscherno
iLiad Geek

Quote:
You dont connect to the USB Port at the top of the device, because its only a type A, right?
You have to connect through the travelhub and have a B type connector there to connect to the PC, right?
Mhmmm - I always thought that it doesn't matter which USB-connectors are used to connect devices with the PC. I have an uber-multi-USB-Cable with ALL connector types for both ends here and it really works
Old 07-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
Tscherno
iLiad Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
I hope there will be a wireless push/pull method other then the official iDS system. Imagine getting your favourite news updated everytime you are in range of an open wlan.

Well, if there isn't you might still make your access point at home reroute the iDS request to a local server preparing the content. But reverse engineering is a major pain in the ...

@Henrycat: is there already content available via iDS or not? If there is, could you please fire up ethereal while requesting and downloading it? This would give us something to look at while waiting for shipping.

Hm. Maybe i should try it with relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
I could live with an custom made push-solution from my PC - with the disadvantage that it only would work @home. But hey: It's Linux - everything should be possible. I think Sony protected it's PSP better then iRex will. And the PSP got hacked...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
I could live with an custom made push-solution from my PC - with the disadvantage that it only would work @home. But hey: It's Linux - everything should be possible. I think Sony protected it's PSP better then iRex will. And the PSP got hacked...
Irex can't totally protect it by definition, if they really use Linux, they have to release the modified source for the OS. How would they be able to keep things secret, if they are not programmed by themself or subject to another license and would therefore not have to be licensed under the GPL.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #12
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
The problem with the USB is that the cheaper ones do not provide current, as they are expected to be used in slave mode. Some of them are even unable to master the bus! For the Nokia 770, the bus can be mastered, but then you need to provide current via some electronic gadget.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:49 AM   #13
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
That's how i do it right now

I usually change files in the internal memory when it's recharging... but to say the truth i usually just use one of my card readers to copy files i'm reading to the CF
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:52 AM   #14
Tscherno
iLiad Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
That's how i do it right now
Thank god... And what do you see on your PC if you connect it this way? Only the content of the Memory card? Or a more complex directory structure. What if two memory cards are inserted?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:00 AM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@Henrycat
I don't quite understand...do you have to use the travelhub or not?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote