Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
pope_a
pope_a began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600 Touch
No device is connected

I am new to Calibre and to ebook readers

I have mastered the basics of Calibre and succesfully created a library on my PC (windows XP), but Calibre refuses to recognise my reader (PRS 600 Touch).

It give the error "no device is connected"

The reader connects succesfully with the Sony Library and has downloaded a few books succesfully

I want to change to Calibre now before I get to locked into Sony.

Currently I have cleared all books off my reader with the Sony library.

I've looked through the forum and the calibre manual, without success.

Anyone got any good suggestions
pope_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
When you plug the reader in, does your computer recognize it? Does the Sony Bookshelf software recognize it?

It should happen automatically if the computer recognizes it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
pope_a

The reader shows up in explorer, also the memory card shows.

Sony bookshelf recognises the reader and can download to it.

Everything seems to work perfectly except for Calibre downloading to my reader, it just cnnot see it

I've tried rebooting, different USB ports, rerun the welcome wizard to reattach my reader, etc but no joy

I'm sure I've missed somthing but I don't know what.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That seems totally weird. For me it recognized my Sony 505 and Astak Pocket Pro without any issues.

I'd suggest reinstalling Calibre and see what happens.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I assume that you are using one of the recent 0.6.1x releases of calibre? That was when the support for the PRS-600 was added.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
pope_a

Latest calibre, latest firmware on the Touch

Completely removed both Calibre and Sony bookshelf and reinstalled

Calibre still cannot see the reader
Old 09-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
kennyc

Maybe Kovid will come along with some idea... there is a way to start it up and get a log of the activity, maybe that will help determine the issue.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm guessing you also openened a ticket, followup on that
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
pope_a

Well Kovid diagnosed this as a problem with my WMI, still can't see my reader and can't find any good help on the net to correct the problem.

AT least it wasn't Calibre (Pity it wasn't - It would have been sorted by now)

Thanks for your help Korvid

Any suggestions from anyone about WMI would be helpful
Old 09-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
kennyc

What's WMI......I hate it when people just throw initials around and expect everyone to know....
Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
WMI is an internal Windows feature - just Google WMI to get more than you want to iknow about it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
kennyc

Yes I can do that, but my point still stands. I hate it when people just use initials expecting others to understand. All it does is create confusion.

Must be this: http://www.nols.edu/wmi/
right?
Or maybe this: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=WMI
That's the trash collection company I use.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
kennyc

Hmm, Pope, maybe it's time for the famous wipe and reinstall windows. Clearly something is corrupted or weird in your system.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Every time I try to drop a book into my 505 from Calibre I'm told there is no device connected, when, of course, there is. I just sit a spell and it's sent anyway. The wee hourglass does its trick. Problem is, though, that the books are very seldom workable when they arrive. Not Kovid's fault -- I have a problem with all library systems. I have a beautiful wee reader ... with jigger all in it. I've spent most of my Sunday afternoon off downloading books, putting them in my reader and then deleting them again because they're incomplete. Fortunately, I'm a patient kind of chap, so I've not hit my machine with a bottle or strangled anyone yet. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
pope_a

KennyC sorry about the WMI (Windows Management Information), I didn't know what it was when Kovid first told me the problem, but I supose we all live and learn

But good news - a bit of lateral thinking, I now keep my Calibra library on a flash drive and use my laptop for the downloads. My laptop is underpowered under memoried under underdisked and dieing of old age, but at least I get to use Calibre instead of the Sony Library- One day I'll get a new super dooper laptop when I can afford it out of my pension

Thanks to all the forum for your help especially Kovid

Don't forget to send a donation to Calibre - I will be