Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
505 to 650 Worth the $125.00?

I've had a a PRS-505 (which I love) for just over a year now but I'm sorely tempted to take advantage of the Sony sale and trade-in to pick up a 650. The net cost would be ~$125. Has anyone here who upgraded to the 650 from the 505 regretted it? I guess the bottom line question is: are the new screen and other features worth the extra cost in your opinion?
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
vvvbe
vvvbe can extract oil from cheesevvvbe can extract oil from cheesevvvbe can extract oil from cheesevvvbe can extract oil from cheesevvvbe can extract oil from cheesevvvbe can extract oil from cheesevvvbe can extract oil from cheesevvvbe can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS-650
mikemc2

Actually I did the same thing 650 net $125... and that was previous to a 650 at the full price... Such a deal... I've had my first 650 for about a month now and yes... It is very much worth the upgrade and at $125 really a no brainer... If you compare the 505 screen
to the 650 its a huge difference crisper and blacker text, a little whiter background, not by much but enough to make a difference... Overall lighter and faster, I really liked my 505 but when you compare the two side by side... 650's gonna win! I occasionaly pull out
the 505 after reading on the 650 and to be honest I'm surprised at the difference...
vvvbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I still have my 505, which I'm planning as a surprise gift to a friend. $125 net would be a terrific price on a 650 - the other feels like a brick in comparison. I could honestly live without the touchscreen page turning, although I usually use it, but I do use the dictionary feature, even for words whose meanings I can infer. I read many books with footnotes, and the stylus-clicking back and forth between text and note is nearly seamless.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Thank you for your input vvvbe. I signed up for the trade in @ Sony Style but now it occurs to me that I won't be able to get my credit before the sale price expires. I have to do it by mail as the only Sony store in the state is fifty miles away and I'm not heading that way anytime soon.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
In all honesty, I found that paying full price for the 650 + cover (approx $310 CND) is 100% absolutely death and taxes worth it. I loved my 505, but I would pay for the 650 again in a heartbeat if for nothing else than the increase in speed. If you have the chance (and the willpower) to trade it in, more so the better, but if you can't, I don't think you'll regret paying full price. I sure didn't.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have recently upgraded my 3 years old 505 to a new shiny 650.
Was it worth it?
Depends on what you need from the reader.
I really wanted to have a dictionary and a better ePub support, without loosing screen quality.
650 fulfils both.

On the other hand, I have 80 lrf files and it would take many years to read the books. So, ePub was not that urgent. If English were my first language, probably I would stay with 505 for now.
The screen is almost the same. The background is the same shade of grey. The text is blacker and it benefits you when the lighting is not ideal.
I don't care about touch screen or taking notes or speed.

P.S. Ah, I have forgotten about another useful feature of 650. Search. Helpful indeed, since it is not a printed book and you cannot browse through it. Speed page turning is a good feature too.

P.P.S. Hmm...maybe it is worth an upgrade....again it depends on how free you are with money. If you have some spare, then why not? 650 brings in a few nice features. If not, 505 is brilliant ebook reader, wait for the next generation.

Last edited by astra; 11-22-2010 at 08:25 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I upgraded from my 505 to the 950 and paid full price for the 950 (I preordered it from Sony). I don't regret the expense for a minute. As much as I thought the 505 was the gold standard for ebook readers, I now think the gold standard is the 950. (I've passed my 505 on to my wife who loves it.)
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I think that I will upgrade to either the 650 or the 950 and pass the 505 on to my husband, who has been eying it for months and hinting to me that I should upgrade soon

I don't mind paying full price - I never mind the expense when anything reading-related is involved. I really think that I'll treasure the dictionaries and the note-taking features. Especially the German dictionary, I'm trying to learn Deutsch! As I am more than satisfied with the 505 screen, I wouldn't consider the Pearl screen to be a reason for upgrading in my case.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
For those who switched, what did you do with your LRF/LRX books?

I can't switch to another Sony that won't read my Sony-format books. I might as well get a Kindle.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post

I can't switch to another Sony that won't read my Sony-format books. I might as well get a Kindle.
Don't quote me on this one, but I think that the 350/650/950 can read LRF, and LRX books can be re-downloaded as epub.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I paid a full price too
No regrets.
No regrets for paying premium for 500 then 505 by ordering them from US.
All of them worth every penny.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I paid a full price too
No regrets.
No regrets for paying premium for 500 then 505 by ordering them from US.
All of them worth every penny.
Yes, my 505 was the best purchase I've ever made.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post

650 fully supports LRF.
I have 67 ebooks on my ebook reader at the moment.
Only 4 or 5 are epubs and 4 pdfs.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Yes, my 505 was the best purchase I've ever made.
I say about my 505's purchase.
Quote:
The best money investment I have ever made
Old 11-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
I just upgraded my 505 for a 350 a week ago (with plans to give my 505 to my mom for Christmas), and I would say it's definitely worth it, if you've got the money. When you compare the two side by side, the text is so much easier to read, its lighter, smaller, easier to turn pages, and the instant dictionary, which was the only thing that made me even think about a Kindle when I was shopping around two years ago, is great.

If you're missing out on the sale, and cost is a factor, have you thought about the 350? I originally was going to get the 650 because I thought it would be good to have the memory card slots - I've never gotten around to using them on my 505, but I always wished it held more books, so I assumed the 650 would be the better bet...but they have 1.4GB of internal memory now, which is 1,000+ books. So I opted for the 350 since I don't think I'll ever need to have that many books on me at one time (or even own that many).

The 350 is smaller than the 650, though the store I went to play with one didn't have a 650 so I have no idea how much of a difference it really is, but going from the 505 to the 350 I haven't noticed the smaller screen size. I have noticed how nice and small it is overall, and how I can comfortably hold it in one hand, and how much clearer it is to read, but haven't noticed the screen size.

Anyway, I'm happy with it. Upgrade away!
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote