Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
self publishing and selling your book as an ebook

Has anyone noticed any authors, without the benefit of a publisher, setting up an estore and selling there work as an ebook self published? I would imagine that this would be a good way to maximize income from the novel and some web sites are doing this for minimal cost, hemstead will do it for $5 a month, sell one novel and you have made up your costs and turned a small profit.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting, then the issue is primarily, one hundred percent, traffic.

Now, if a self-pubber has enough of a name that people will seek out his/her work, that's not so much of a problem. However, customers are more likely to purchase from sources they know and trust, and there's also the whole, "window shopping" element to consider.

Simply, an author who sells from a personal website will probably move about a tenth of the copies, maybe less, than he/she would from a place like Amazon. Case in point: in 10 months, I saw about 4500 downloads from Smashwords, a decently established site by that point. When Amazon made it free, it got 9000 in five days.

Of course, if you're talking about something else, then I look mighty silly.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm with Kemp. The 30% fee to Amazon is certainly worthwhile from the standpoint of readers finding authors and books. I see your point though. Many epresses have stores of their own where they don't have to give up the margin and can set their own pricing.

MFS
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Excellent Kemp this is what I was looking for. Perhaps a better known author such as John Grisham, who incidently already has a web site of his own, might possibly sell his ebooks from his oweb site as well as via amazon or borders. He already has the site there might as well make full use of it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Not forgetting, of course, that if you're selling on Amazon but publicizing on your own site that you can sign up to be an affiliate and crawl back another 5ish%.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is essentially what I do now. In 2006 I set up my own site and started selling, before Amazon et al started offering their services to indie authors. (Today my books are also available at other booksellers, but always with references to my site, in the hopes to drive more customers directly to the source).

I agree... it's all about getting people to your site. In one year, where I was connected to the Read an E-Book Week site as its web developer, I got enough cross-traffic to make over $500 in sales. That was (sadly) my best year, but it illustrates what can happen if you can just get people to your site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Perhaps a better known author such as John Grisham, who incidently already has a web site of his own, might possibly sell his ebooks from his oweb site as well as via amazon or borders. He already has the site there might as well make full use of it.
Authors working with major publishers are often contractually forbidden to self-sell their books, so selling from their own website may not be permissible for some authors. (They can always use their website to point customers to the booksellers, of course.)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 11-10-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
I have a link on my website to Amazon and Smashwords. I don't feel many people would buy my book directly from my site.

Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
You are assuming the author wants to be bothered with formatting an ebook, creating a webpage, maintaining the storefront, etc. etc.

Some like doing that sort of thing, some don't mind it too much, some prefer to subcontract out and perhaps give up part of their profit to not be bothered with it. Just saying.

Also, some publishers insist on retaining ebook rights when they purchase hard copy publication rights, and the authors don't know enough to separate them out, or don't see the benefits, or are afraid that the publisher will reject them if they try to do it.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
bookmark
bookmark will become famous soon enoughbookmark will become famous soon enoughbookmark will become famous soon enoughbookmark will become famous soon enoughbookmark will become famous soon enoughbookmark will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
There are many self published authors out there that do well selling on their own sites. But, as Kemp said, it’ s all about the traffic. You really have to be able to market yourself online. With that said, it’s always a good idea to have your book for sale through as many places as possible, including your site.

Setting up PayPal on your site for customers doesn’t take much and can earn you a few more sales.

Last edited by bookmark; 12-07-2010 at 12:55 PM.
bookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I opened up a store through my website yesterday using PayPal. I obtained ALL available formats for every e-reader which I will sell in addition to Amazon, etc. I'll let you know how it goes.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
SimonKewin
SimonKewin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I agree that it is all about traffic. I have links to my Amazon and Smashwords pages on my web site but I'm willing to bet I get most sales from elsewhere - e.g. searches within Amazon. That said, perhaps it is best to cover as many bases as possible and sell directly as well as via Amazon etc?
SimonKewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKewin View Post
I agree that it is all about traffic. I have links to my Amazon and Smashwords pages on my web site but I'm willing to bet I get most sales from elsewhere - e.g. searches within Amazon. That said, perhaps it is best to cover as many bases as possible and sell directly as well as via Amazon etc?
Amazon holds 30% of each sale of your ebook. If you go through your own site, you keep everything. If you can do a kick-ass job and keep driving traffic to your site, then you're on your way.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
NoahMGillman
Enthusiast
NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iphone
Yeah, I also think Amazon earns their 30%. How will new readers ever find you if your book is only available on your own website?

Of course, an author can decide to do both, can't they?
NoahMGillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Brooks View Post
Amazon holds 30% of each sale of your ebook. If you go through your own site, you keep everything.
Don't forget Paypal will take a transaction fee plus a percentage of the asking price, plus a bit more if your buyer is from another country. On a cheap ebook that could easily add up to 30% of the sale price.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
As a consumer, I can't imagine giving my credit card info to a random site. And not all buyers want to use PayPal.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote