Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-29-2023, 01:56 PM   #1
polo2137
polo2137 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Polish to Polish StarDict files too big (dictionary)

Hi there!
Ive recently conversed two .slob files to starDict to use these files as dictionaries in KOReader on my Kobo Libra 2. Files went from a 292 MB to 6,3 gb and from 3,5 gb to 33,6 gb. Of course I cant upload them to my device bcs I get the error The item “WiktionaryPL2.dict” can’t be copied because it is too large for the volume’
As the second one is indeed just too big to even fit on the device storage, the first one isn't.
I have following questions:
Is there any way to compress them?
If not, are there any Polish to Polish dictionaries in starDict format (I only found multilangual ones) or at least some in the formats that pyGlossary can convert to starDict?
P.S htmldict, epub, mobi is not supported by pyGlossary (entirely or the read function)
polo2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:16 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo2137 View Post
Is there any way to compress them?
IIRC, the KOReader also supports compressed dict.dz StarDict files, which you can create with Dictzip.
Make sure to use dictzip -k dictionary.dict. Otherwise the original .dict file will be deleted.

You also might be able to reduce the file size by decompiling the StartDict dict file, removing all HTML tags and compiling it as a non-HTML StarDict dictionary.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:21 PM   #3
polo2137

OK! So I've managed to compress WiktionaryPL2.dict to WiktionaryPL2.dict.dz, the file size is 398,1 MB so its great!
I transfered WiktionaryPL2.dict.dz , WiktionaryPL2.idx and WiktionaryPL2.ifo to KOReader. The dictionary is visable in the menu in KOReader and I've set it to use it but it doesnt work. Simply says "no definition found" when looking up a word. I didnt manage to use sdcv because I dont know how same with merge_syns=True.

I tried deleting .idx and .ifo files with only .dict.dz and then KOReader cant even see this dictionary, so I've tried deleting .dict.dz and left only .idx and .ifo and KOReader can see it. So the .dict.dz is not even noticed by KOReader.

(Im using gzip)
gzip WiktionaryPL2.dict
mv WiktionaryPL2.dict.gz WiktionaryPL2.dict.dz

Last edited by polo2137; 01-29-2023 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 01-30-2023, 03:04 AM   #4
polo2137

Ive tried splitting them using sdcv (split -b 500 command) but it spit out some random files.
Btw when I check the file format of the .dict file with 'file' command it says its a .html format but it can be that 'file' command doesnt support recognizing .dict format.
Im using mac
Old 01-30-2023, 03:26 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo2137 View Post
(Im using gzip)
gzip WiktionaryPL2.dict
mv WiktionaryPL2.dict.gz WiktionaryPL2.dict.dz
You have to use dictzip. Event though you can unzip .dz files with gunzip the format is not identical!
You also might want to install a Stardict dictionary client for macOS to test the dict.dz files that you've created.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:13 AM   #6
polo2137

Can you tell me how to instal dictzip on mac? I tried to google it but no luck!
Old 01-30-2023, 09:17 AM   #7
polo2137

I already installed macports
Old 01-30-2023, 10:36 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Installing the dict package should also install dictzip. However, since I don't have a Mac, I wasn't able to test this.

If if doesn't work, have the dictionary compressed by a friend with a Windows machine or use another Polish Stardict dictionary.

Tags
dictionaries, dictionary, polish, polish dictionary, stardict